Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Blair County)

Default Hollidaysburg USPSA

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is specifically in reference to the USPSA match at Hollidaysburg this past Saturday (09 May), but I suspect it's an issue at most matches.

Dan put on his usual quality match. I don't think most people understand the amount of work he does every month to make that match happen.

And that's the issue I'd like to address. There were 26 shooters at the match. Take away Dan, that's 25. Of those 25, only three stayed around to help tear down the stages. So, a total of four people tore down a six stage match, including 3 stages that were 30+ round affairs.

The long term result of this situation is that the guy running the match gets tired of doing all the work of running the match and then not getting any help tearing down, and eventually he says screw it and stops running matches. Then we don't have anywhere to shoot.

I know some people think: "I paid to shoot, I shouldn't have to help with the set up/tear down." Well, the reality is that the funds go to the stuff in the stages. Fences, pepper poppers, Texas stars, etc., don't come for free. The match director isn't making money out of this deal, he's running the show because he wants to have a quality local match, and in most cases (including Dan's), is investing a great deal of time and effort into the operation.

I understand that some people had to go to work (I did, right after we finished clean up.) I understand that some people drove a fair way to get there, and had long drives home.

Despite that, leaving four people to tear down that match is completely unacceptable. If everyone wants this match to continue, there needs to be more support from the shooters.

And before someone asks, no, I'm not Dan. Dan posts here under his own name.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Hollidaysburg USPSA

It seems to fluctuate. Some days we have a ton of people stay. Some times we don't. I know I like to stay and help, but had to get back home that day. And till I was done shooting. You guys had all but two stations tore down. You guys were just kicking butt big time.

I agree, with more help, it goes faster. But sometimes you just don't have the time.

The big question is, did anyone ask them too? I know I wasn't sure if I was allowed to help do this (insurance wise) the first couple of times I showed up. It wouldn't hurt to mention it in your group or have the person running it mention that help afterwards is appreciated. I know Dan mentions help setting up. But I don't think he mentions for tearing down.

Did you know that there were at least 8 PAFOA members there that day.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Blair County)

Mtbkski,

I don't want that to sound like an attack on you or anyone else. Like I said, I understand that people have commitments, and I understand that one or two squads weren't done until 45 minutes or so after the first squad was done.

The six odd people picking up brass for a half hour after they were done shooting apparently didn't have any such committments. I didn't get the feeling anyone was waiting for an invitation, and I don't think that was anyone's first match. I can't speak for Dan, because I'm usually half asleep during the pre match briefings anyway.

I only make one or two matches there a year due to work, if I'm lucky, and hadn't made a match in the last year or so. I would really like to see that match do well, but what I saw Saturday wasn't promising.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Westmoreland County)

Not trying to be critical; but out of the 25, how many were members of the Holidaysburg Club. At most Clubs members shoot at a reduced rate, and outsiders that help set-up or tear down also pay a reduced rate. I've never been to Holidaysburgh because of the distance. Is this their policy? As in most cases Clubs and USPSA shooters in Westmoreland County, it's a select few that help. A lot of shooters don't even help paste targets or keep score, and RO's that help set up the day before, shoot that day and don't even show up the day of the shoot. The old statement "let George do it", everyone has an excuse. Have to go to work, my wife is waiting for me, I have a long drive ahead? You'll soon find Clubs not having "shoots".

(Blair County)

At Hollidaysburg, members shoot for $15, non members for $20.

It doesn't sound like you're being critical, it sounds like your experience has been the same as mine. I only make a couple of matches a year (if I'm lucky), and I will admit that the pasting/scorekeeping situation has gotten better at Hollidaysburg.

I'm afraid we are well down the road to people deciding that they are not going to run matches when they're not getting any help.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE