Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Cowboy Action shooting at DCFS

Has anyone done this? This Sunday (May 17) there's a shoot, and I want to try my hand. I've never entered any shooting competition and want to know what I've gotten myself into.

I contacted DCFS and they gave me a brief run down, 4 stages each with 10 shots from a revolver (2 revolvers, I think) 8 rifle, 4 shotgun. What we're shooting at, and how we're scored, I don't know. (Actually I think it's metal silhouette's but what kind I don't know.)

Western gear is recommended, but not necessary. Since the shoot's not a sanctioned SASS activity, they play a little loose with the rules, but it sounds like fun. I'd be interested in hearing about the previous matches and how long they go on for.

Thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Cowboy Action shooting at DCFS

Actually, it's something I've been interested as well (but haven't gotten into yet). Here's a good place to start to get a run-down of the scene:

http://www.sassnet.com/

The "standard" course is (as you guessed) 10 shots (5 each from 2 pistols), rifle and shotgun. From what I've seen, the shotgun is single-shot, so you have to manually load each shot.

I've been looking at SA revolvers myself, and I'm partial to the style of the 1858 New Army, but there are plenty "period"-style revolvers:

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Con...odArmyConv.htm

The Cimarron's are pretty price-concsious (as are the Uberti's). Since you'll need two of them (and gunleather *and* clothing), price'll be a concern. Beretta also makes some good looking SA revolvers, but they're a bit more expensive (considering you'll also need rifle and shotgun as well as the two revolvers).

The Marlin 1894's are probably a decent rifle choice (price-wise, of course). And again, on the price (and convenience) them, make sure you get the same caliber rifle as revolver.

If you get the Outdoor Channel, Wednesday nights (tonight!) at 11PM is a show called "Cowboys" that talks about cowboy action shooting.

Now mind you, IANACAS (I am not a Cowboy Action Shooter), this is just information I've been reading on the 'net.

(Lancaster County)

I've been getting interested in CAS myself. I'm hoping to be able to give it a try next year. too many other things going on this year. It does seem to take a bit of an investment in guns. but it sure looks like fun.
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.-Thomas Jefferson

(Delaware County)

FentFV, thanks for the sites, I did check out SASS but couldn't find what I was looking for. The Shooters Handbook doesn't really describe the matches, not that I'm concerned. I figure I'll just point and shoot. I was just wondering what, exacatly we were shooting at.

As for the guns, I have that covered. I have a Ruger Vaquero and a Beretta Laraime, both in .38 (well, the Vaquero is .357), and a Puma .357 wide loop lever action and a Henry Golden Boy (also .357) if needed. My only gun issue was that I didn't have a proper shotgun, but was told by the organizers that I could use my Mossberg 500, since we were only shooting one shot at a time.

What really concerns me is that I don't have any lead round nose .38 for the lever action. Going though my stocks last night, all I had was a few hundered rounds of lead wad cutters, which are fine in the revolvers, but are too short to cycle in the lever actions. If I can't find the ammo around, I'm going to look for the slugs, so I can load up a few rounds. I'd hate to miss my 1st competition because of ammo issues.

(Erie County)

As far as the targets you'll be shooting at, they are steel plate targets. As for ammunition, you are correct, you'll need lead bullets (no jacketed bullets allowed), try to bring about 200 rounds if possible, and bring along two boxes of shotgun shells (standard field loads, 7-1/2 lead shot, recommend bringing 12 Gauge). As far as the shotgun goes, bring your Mossberg, but don't be suprised when a whole bunch of people offer to let you try their shotguns. You also mentioned that you only had wadcutter ammunition available, contact the point of contact for the match, and they may be able to assist you with some ammunition for your rifle. If you do load for your rifle, go with either a lead truncated cone (TC) style bullet, or a lead round nose flat point (LNFP) style bullet, as either of these will feed well in your rifle.

Most target distances are pretty easy to hit - pistol targets will be from 7 to 10 yards, rifle targets will normally be out about 25 to 30 yards, shotgun targets will be from 15 to 20 yards. You can wear a pair of boots, long sleeve button shirt (not a sweatshirt), blue jeans, and bring a cowboy hat if you have one (ball caps are not allowed). Don't forget to bring eye and ear protection as well.

Here's another great website to look though, he'll explain the entire sport to you: http://www.curtrich.com/GettingStarted01.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DfA4I621cA

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

(Delaware County)

Thanks Kiski.

Have you shot a match at DCFS before?

I may end up having to borrow a shotgun afterall, my Mossberg is a 20 guage.

Hopefully boots aren't required, I could never find a pair for my big feet.

One additional question, though, how do we handle 2 revolvers? I have a holster, but it's a single rig. Is the other on a table or something?

(Erie County)

No, never got to shoot on the East side of the state, as I'm in the SW area.

Go ahead and bring your shotgun, and shells (lots of folks shoot 20 gauge as well).

As far as footwear goes, any boot will do, they just frown on combat style boots (just don't show up wearing tennis shoes...not very western).

Don't worry about having a complete belt rig, again, let the match director know, and they may have some spare leather you can borrow for the shoot.

Just remember the prime rule of Cowboy Action Shooting...Have Fun, and Be Safe While You're Doing It.
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

(Delaware County)

Thanks again,

I'll have to look for my winter weather boots.

(Delaware County)

I have not shot the DCF&S Cowboy stuff, but I will say that I have never been to ANY competition where a first time shooter was turned away because he didn't meet the equipment rules 100%.

(Delaware County)

That's nice to know. I didn't think they'd disqualify me, but I want to play the part as much as possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast