Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pittsburgh Gets Ally Against NRA Gun Lawsuit

City Gets Ally Against NRA Gun Lawsuit

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― If you own a gun and it is lost or stolen, you have 24 hours to report that it is missing under a new law in the City of Pittsburgh.

The National Rifle Association is opposed to that law and is suing the city.

But now, another national group is coming to the city's defense.

City officials announced today that it has a powerful ally in its battle with the NRA, one that has locked horns with the gun group before.

Flanked by the names of victims of local gun violence, City Council President Doug Shields announced an ally in the city's fight with the NRA over its recently passed lost or stolen handgun reporting law.

"I'm very proud today to introduce representatives from the Brady Campaign who are here today to work with us. They have offered a pro bono representation, meaning for free," said Shields.

"We knew we had to get involved and we stand at the ready here today to defend Pittsburgh from this unconscionable lawsuit," said Chad Ramsey of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

The law requires gun owners in Pittsburgh to report lost or stolen weapons within 24 hours of discovery.

The aim prevents a straw purchase.

"That's what this is about. People that have clean records can go into a gun store, buy 20 guns at the behest of someone who can't," said Shields.

The NRA says there are already laws on the books to prevent straw purchases, and this lost or stolen gun law infringes on the rights of legal gun owners.

It's a point that others disagree with.

"It becomes a problem," said council member Jim Motznik, "if someone has a gun stolen and they don't know it's stolen. They aren't responsible for that until they find out it's stolen. The moment they realize my gun has been stolen, that's when they need to notify authorities."

"As for anything else in a court of law, there's due process and a presumption of innocence. It will be up to the state to prove that the person did have notice, that basically ignored the law," said Shields.

NRA attorney Megan Jones spoke to KDKA over the phone.

She said this is simple -- the city overstepped its bounds when it comes to laws regarding firearms and their use.

Shields says he will be happy to argue that point in court

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Pittsburgh Gets Ally Against NRA Gun Lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    City Gets Ally Against NRA Gun Lawsuit

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― If you own a gun and it is lost or stolen, you have 24 hours to report that it is missing under a new law in the City of Pittsburgh.

The National Rifle Association is opposed to that law and is suing the city.

But now, another national group is coming to the city's defense.

City officials announced today that it has a powerful ally in its battle with the NRA, one that has locked horns with the gun group before.

Flanked by the names of victims of local gun violence, City Council President Doug Shields announced an ally in the city's fight with the NRA over its recently passed lost or stolen handgun reporting law.

"I'm very proud today to introduce representatives from the Brady Campaign who are here today to work with us. They have offered a pro bono representation, meaning for free," said Shields.

"We knew we had to get involved and we stand at the ready here today to defend Pittsburgh from this unconscionable lawsuit," said Chad Ramsey of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

The law requires gun owners in Pittsburgh to report lost or stolen weapons within 24 hours of discovery.

The aim prevents a straw purchase.

"That's what this is about. People that have clean records can go into a gun store, buy 20 guns at the behest of someone who can't," said Shields.

The NRA says there are already laws on the books to prevent straw purchases, and this lost or stolen gun law infringes on the rights of legal gun owners.

It's a point that others disagree with.

"It becomes a problem," said council member Jim Motznik, "if someone has a gun stolen and they don't know it's stolen. They aren't responsible for that until they find out it's stolen. The moment they realize my gun has been stolen, that's when they need to notify authorities."

"As for anything else in a court of law, there's due process and a presumption of innocence. It will be up to the state to prove that the person did have notice, that basically ignored the law," said Shields.

NRA attorney Megan Jones spoke to KDKA over the phone.

She said this is simple -- the city overstepped its bounds when it comes to laws regarding firearms and their use.

Shields says he will be happy to argue that point in court
    I know everyone will find this a big Surprise the anti-gunners are lining up to force gun control from the bottom up to force in PA the state legislators to act against all gun owners by trying to shove gun control by a few rogue city council people. PA is the keystone to the gun control groups strategy taking the east coast.

(Chester County)

I don't get what they are trying to do - lose a case in the public eye? Pittsburgh (and Philadelphia, etc) are guilty of a preemption violation. How much easier can it be?

(Washington County)

I am glad that the city is not paying for this now let the Brady Campaign wast their money fighting a law that will be struck down.

(Bucks County)

And there is a law to deal with this already. The ATF is informed anytime someone buys more than 3 firearms from the same dealer in a one week period. They do investigate these people.

And now they leave out the "missing" part of the law. Many gun collectors have enough firearms that pinpointing a single missing firearm can actually be a chore. I've more than once while taking an inventory or even packing up a few guns for a range trip gone "what the heck happened to xxx?". More often than not it is found within an hour, once or twice it's taken a day or two. Now I'm a felon? Because I misplaced a piece of personal property for over twenty four hours?

Give me a break, it's ridiculous. Do they really want hundreds if not thousands of false stolen/missing reports per year? What happens when I'm pulled over and illegally have my gun run against this database and it comes back missing/stolen even though I have it in my possession? I was required to report it missing/stolen, was there a requirement or method for reporting I found it? Was the database updated when it was found, find it hard to believe it would have the same priority as a lost/stolen report.

Hmmm, never seen a law stretched, misused, abused before; ever. lol.

(Allegheny County)

Kind of makes me want to move to shields district to help vote him out.

What an idiot!
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Beaver County)

I'm happy to be moving 20 miles further away from the City of Pittsburgh. Stupidity might be catching; like swine flu!
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Allegheny County)

I was litterally pounding my steering wheel in frustration yesterday when I heard the quote from the Brady Bunch where they said that the NRA was suing the city for enacting "common sense" gun regulations... when in reality the NRA is suing the city for violating state preemption.

While I am against the Lost or Stolen laws in general, I would not begrudge the State legislature for introducing such a measure (Though I would certainly express my displeasure to my representative or senator). However, when local governments flagrantly disregard state law, they SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE.

How hypocritical is it for them to break the law and then expect us to follow it?

(Philadelphia County)

How is this "law" supposed to stop a straw purchase exactly? Can anyone answer that. Maybe Pittsburgh city council knows.

(Mercer County)

Since when is upholding the PA Constitution deemed unconscionable???

I wonder when Pittsburgh will institute a new criminal code for politicians that "lose" city money...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast