Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default beretta decocker b.s. please advise.

just got back from a training this weekend. i picked up a beretta 92fs from cdnn after not finding enough .40 . -good gun. i found i really liked it. i doubt i would carry it but after blasting 1500 rnds or so, i still have all my hand skin.
    the only problem was with the mother f'n decocker/saftey crap. i botched a timed qual. run as well as a couple timed from the holster runs. the first time it happened i was a real f soup sandwich. tap rack nuthin ! wtf? tap rack nuthin WTF?!!!! oh safteys on! ma dam booger hook kept catching the anti-bang switch.

my point- is there a retro fit or conversion kit to switch a 92fs to decock only? like a 92g.

Default Re: beretta decocker b.s. please advise.

Quote Originally Posted by batalha_com.308 View Post
    just got back from a training this weekend. i picked up a beretta 92fs from cdnn after not finding enough .40 . -good gun. i found i really liked it. i doubt i would carry it but after blasting 1500 rnds or so, i still have all my hand skin.
    the only problem was with the mother f'n decocker/saftey crap. i botched a timed qual. run as well as a couple timed from the holster runs. the first time it happened i was a real f soup sandwich. tap rack nuthin ! wtf? tap rack nuthin WTF?!!!! oh safteys on! ma dam booger hook kept catching the anti-bang switch.

my point- is there a retro fit or conversion kit to switch a 92fs to decock only? like a 92g.
    Hmmmmmm????????
    never had issues with mine, and the buyer loves it, also.

(Allegheny County)

With the Beretta Px4 Storm this is referred to as doing a "G-Type Conversion". The standard model of the Px4 Storm marketed to civilians is the "Type F" which features the standard Beretta decocker/safety, but it's also available in the "Type G" configuration for law enforcement where the lever functions only as a decocker.

I don't know if the 92F and the Px4 are similar enough in design that the same conversion procedure would apply. Your best bet is probably to hit up the Beretta Forum and see what they have to say. If anybody knows if this kind of conversion can be done with the 92F series, that's where you'll find the information.

For reference, here is the thread over there regarding doing this conversion on the Px4 Storm: Px4 G Model Conversion.

Hopefully this gets you moving in the right direction.

(Luzerne County)

Slide mounted decocker/safety are basically incompatible with the universal failure drill. Ditch it and buy a handgun without such useless features

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Chester County)

aw man, i knew that was coming . i dug the weight of the 92 good heft decent layout, longer barrel. good gun except for that F'n switch. the funny thing is i have always preached the pit falls of manual saftey guns to newbies inquiring on what gun to purchase, you know the old less crap to think about when your stressed line. time to take my own advice. well the gun was cheap. a buddy was working with a p99 space gun. that gun was fast as shit it was an AS model 9mm. it has such a short reset right out of the box. i have shot glocks since i was 21. love em but they need a little work. they have lower bore axis and rarely f up. if you drop in the lighter pull trigger bar and change out the trigger springs it gets a little unnerving to carry.

current considerations:
    Walther p99 AS 9mm
    Glock 19 plus a bunch of springs, bars and other crap.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Slide mounted decocker/safety are basically incompatible with the universal failure drill. Ditch it and buy a handgun without such useless features
    I'm not sure what you mean by "universal failure drill". Could you explain? I searched, but I only found another post by you on another forum .

(Chester County)

aw man, i knew that was coming . i dug the weight of the 92 good heft decent layout, longer barrel. good gun except for that F'n switch. the funny thing is i have always preached the pit falls of manual saftey guns to newbies inquiring on what gun to purchase, you know the old less crap to think about when your stressed line. time to take my own advice. well the gun was cheap. a buddy was working with a p99 space gun. that gun was fast as shit it was an AS model 9mm. it has such a short reset right out of the box. i have shot glocks since i was 21. love em but they need a little work. they have lower bore axis and rarely f up. if you drop in the lighter pull trigger bar and change out the trigger springs it gets a little unnerving to carry.

current considerations:
    Walther p99 AS 9mm
    Glock 19 plus a bunch of springs, bars and other crap.
    maybe a p30 i'm not so sure about their triggers yet

(Westmoreland County)

No. You're SOL.

You're only option is the L.A. Claw and it isn't a very good option at that.

(Chester County)

Thumbs down Re: beretta decocker b.s. please advise.

Mods: sorry bout the double post.

SBAKER: universal failure drill, its when you encounter some jam up in your pistol. first you TAP the bottom of the mag to ensure its seated. second, you RACK the slide to eject possible misfire and rechamber new round. third you BANG the hell out of whatever is your intended target.

note, this may or may not fix the problem. but when your in a stressed situation this is where you train to start to get back in the fight.
    my op refered to the how under stress i kept engaging the G-DAM saftey on my 92. (its right where you grip the slide to rack it)

Actually come to think of it i remember reading an article by masaad a-boob refering to an officer that got killed in the line of duty because of this situation.

Beretta: your doing it wrong.

(Lehigh County)

So the problem is engaging the safety while performing tap-rack-bang? Interesting - I had never heard of that possible problem but I can definitely see how it could happen.

The funny thing is that I have a 92G and I was kind of disappointed to learn that it was a decocker only and not a safety as on the FS. The design of the safety on the Beretta was one of the things that attracted me to it. But I'm pretty new to handguns and I worry about AD while holstering and things like that.

What about a 1911? I often see pretty large safety levers that are right there beside the slide. I think Masaad has also written about lives saved by manual safeties when the BG gets the gun away and cannot immediately fire it. I'm in the middle of The Ayoob Files so I'll keep my eyes open for this type of thing.

Something new for me to think about...

Mods: sorry bout the double post.

SBAKER: universal failure drill, its when you encounter some jam up in your pistol. first you TAP the bottom of the mag to ensure its seated. second, you RACK the slide to eject possible misfire and rechamber new round. third you BANG the hell out of whatever is your intended target.

note, this may or may not fix the problem. but when your in a stressed situation this is where you train to start to get back in the fight.
    my op refered to the how under stress i kept engaging the G-DAM saftey on my 92. (its right where you grip the slide to rack it)

Actually come to think of it i remember reading an article by masaad a-boob refering to an officer that got killed in the line of duty because of this situation.

Beretta: your doing it wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast