Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Hand trap thrower?

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good hand thrower for clay pigeons? Are the $10 plastic things any good, or does it pay to splurge a little for a better one?

Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Hand trap thrower?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrconservative View Post
    Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good hand thrower for clay pigeons? Are the $10 plastic things any good, or does it pay to splurge a little for a better one?

Thanks!
    I've been using the cheap plastic ones with minimal problems. Sometimes the clays crack when you're getting them in. I noticed that more during the winter though when the clays had gotten very cold and cracked when trying to put them in. I almost never have problems when the weather is warmer.

For $10, why not try it yourself and see if it works for you. Hell, if you're like me, you can easily spend $10+ on lunch at a fast food restaurant!

(Centre County)

I actually have 2 plastic throwers... They work fine for me. My brother has a mack daddy thrower that is mounted on a seat and such, and don't get me wrong, it is reeeaaally nice, but for me to go a couple times a year with some friends the plastic ones are fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Brandon

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by wryekid View Post
    I actually have 2 plastic throwers... They work fine for me. My brother has a mack daddy thrower that is mounted on a seat and such, and don't get me wrong, it is reeeaaally nice, but for me to go a couple times a year with some friends the plastic ones are fine.
    That's how I use mine too. Some friends and I just go a couple of times a year usually. So I see no need for a very nice thrower. If I had alot of property to shoot on, I might get one. But I also don't want to lug a big one around. The hand throwers are convenient and portable.

I don't use them at all, for a few reasons. You will NOT get the velocity and not usually the same angles if you're using a plastic hand thrower. I shoot skeep, trap and sporting clays on ranges that have high houses, low houses, etc; and even the mechanical throwers that most people buy are pretty slow compared to what is on shotgun ranges. I guess it depends on what you're doing. I'm a bird hunter and I don't even think that most mechanical throws that people buy are as fast as pheasants and quail flushing. Either way, both are fun and work well. I like the mechanical throwers because you can throw pigeons faster, and you can throw doubles, and even triples. Mechanical throwers can be dangerous too, in case you didn't know. The spring has to be tensioned when you put it together, and it can be a bit of a chore. The main danger is when you're pulling the thrower arm back, it takes a bit of force, and you need to be careful to be BEHIND the throwing arm. I can't tell you how many times I've almost seen someone slip off the thrower arm and it almost whack their shin. I'm pretty sure that it would break your shin if it had much of a run at it, and at the very least a DAMN bad lump and bruise. They can be a pain in the but to get in the ground and stay, so I usually just weld one onto an old tire rim. That is usually enough weight to keep them from walking around alot and it's pretty easy to get them in and out of the pickup.

If you just want to throw a few pigeons and shoot stuff, not really simulate anything, then the hand throwers work well enough. That's just my opinion though, that neither is quite what I want it to simulate.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by wryekid View Post
    My son gave me one of these for Christmas. I haven't had ot out yet. Looks well built.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Blair County)

On a side note. If you are using one remember they are setup for right and left handed throwing. The ones I have seen Have an RH on one side and LH on the other. Use them with the correct hand up. They take a couple of throws to get used to. I have one It works fine. I dont have the money or desire to splurge for a better thrower. In my expeirence they work well for just tooling around with friends every once an a while. So I guess it is up to you to figure out what you want it for. I second that they break clays now and again when loading them. I Also have expeirenced they need to be "broke In" a little. They are a little stiff from the gate. But hey for 10 bucks, 10 bucks for a case of clay, and twenty for a case of shells youll have a goodtime. Wow in retrospect the price has really went up.

(Allegheny County)

They work fine, but I'd rather not be tired from slinging clays. You probably have to break it in a bit. The one I have is really tight and cracks clays on putting them in. I had to spread the fingers a bit.

My dad did get me a thrower for Christmas. It was $100 and it's amazing. The design is brilliant. If you're up for spending the money, I'd be happy to take the time to post pics of it and give more details. Oh, and it fits in the trunk of my car without issues.

Personally, even for the few times I shoot clays, the $100 is worth it when you consider that not everybody can throw with the plastic thing well. If you do, you give all your friends great birds to shoot at. Then it's your turn and your unpracticed friends can't return the favor. Yeah... been there.

(Mercer County)

My brothers and I use one when we shoot. It's boneheadedly easy to use.

After some practice, you can do all types of throws at all different angles and speeds.

Buy one and go blow up some clays!