Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Glock & Lead

Default Glock & Lead

Ok, here is what I've been told ( Do not shoot Lead in a Glock ) but here's my question, Can one shoot a Hard Cast lead in a Glock? I have a few hundred 200 swc hard cast bullets cast at 21 brinnell and would like to try them in a glock. So how about some expert advice!! Scott

Default Re: Glock & Lead

Quote Originally Posted by Scottjr View Post
    Ok, here is what I've been told ( Do not shoot Lead in a Glock ) but here's my question, Can one shoot a Hard Cast lead in a Glock? I have a few hundred 200 swc hard cast bullets cast at 21 brinnell and would like to try them in a glock. So how about some expert advice!! Scott
    Yes absolutely. I asked this exact question to Rich from Warners when all he had was lead heads and he said absolutely no problem at all ... just not normal 'non hard cast' lead ....

(Blair County)

My g22 eats a healthy diet of SNScastings's 140 grain RN. So does my girlfriends g23.

I try to clean the barrel after i get around 500 rounds through it, but i've left it go longer. It gets a little bit of build up, but no kabooms like people claim happen. I loaded them real hot (1300 FPS) and real light (900 FPS) not issues either way.
    I can take an assbeating like its nobodys business" - Doug Bryant

(Northampton County)

Expert advice?

Why chance it? Just buy a spare barrel and shoot whatever you want - no worries about the glock octagonal rifling.

Lone wolf barrels are relatively inexpensive, or you can go up to a Bar-sto. Although I think Bar-Sto is around a 16 week wait right now.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Luzerne County)

Glock says don't do it. There is a lot of documentation to back up the idea that polygonal rifling is not kind to lead bullets.
    There are also a lot of people who don't believe that and shoot lead. (btw...unless you are casting your own out of some softer alloy, virtually all commercial cast .45 cal bullets are advertised as "hard cast". Unless you have a hardness tester, you have to take them at their word.)
    I don't wish anyone ill but when I read about "no problems using lead", "gun didnt blow up", my mind immediately adds the word "yet" to those phrases.
    You've only got to be wrong once.
    Try Lone Wolf.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Westmoreland County)

After 40 years of reloading and shooting lead. I have seen two guns with bulged Barrels from shooting lead. One ruger and a smith & wesson. Both these guys were extremely lucky. With just a bulged barrel And both came from pushing lead to fast. Without a gas check, 1000 FPS without a gas check is pushing the limit. Once lead starts building up it happens fast.

(Westmoreland County)

I used lead in my glocks for years when I shot USPSA. I have several thousand rounds of 180gr lead out of both my g23 and g35 without a problem. I also cleaned them after every other match. They were all truncated because I never had luck with swc's in my glocks

Thanks for all your input, My son is the one with the glock and I will give him all the feed back so he can make the decision, I have a 45 Kimber and I think a few rounds of the hard Cast run through will give me a good test on the Kimber. I know one thing the cast are 1/2 the cost of FMJ that is a good reason to test the cast bullets. Scott