Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Active Military & Carrying Question

Do any of you active or retired military folks know what the deal is for carrying when you live on base? I was wondering for future reference. If I have reciprocity in whichever state I'm going to be stationed in, can I bring my pistol with me and carry on and off base? Does the military have any law or procedure about their soldiers carrying for personal safety when off duty and off base? How about open carry, do they prohibit it nomatter what state law says? Any information would be much appreciated and thankyou for your service!
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Active Military & Carrying Question

Permission to have a firearm on base is at the discretion of the CO. Which in turn means NO! Off base is an entirely different matter unless your in uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Do any of you active or retired military folks know what the deal is for carrying when you live on base? I was wondering for future reference. If I have reciprocity in whichever state I'm going to be stationed in, can I bring my pistol with me and carry on and off base? Does the military have any law or procedure about their soldiers carrying for personal safety when off duty and off base? How about open carry, do they prohibit it nomatter what state law says? Any information would be much appreciated and thankyou for your service!
    USNRET '61-'81

(Monroe County)

Short answer- NO.

Long-
    I don't know Army rules but it's a fair guess they don't.

Navy rules are set in stone, no state permits are valid on base.
    Bases are fed land and rules. Carry on base is set by that services reg's. Local/Fed LEO's are about it unless it's an duty weapon. ie gov issue.

This is why it took me so long to carry- I can't were I need to, back and forth to work during odd hrs.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Schuylkill County)

There should be a policy letter at least regarding storage- check your company bulletin board

If you go in the Navy, and get stationed on a ship, and pass all the security clearances needed to be a guard or rover, you can carry during your watch.

I'm not sure, but I think I remember the Master At Arms carrying and having his personal guns on board. He used to shoot off the fantail while at sea. He probably had the Captains permission to do so, though.

I very much doubt that you can carry to and from the base, in any branch of service, unless you are part of their security forces. If you live off base, I'm sure you are just like any other citizen and you can do whatever is legal in that state.

(Pike County)

Son is in the Navy stationed in Norfolk, Va. He has a permit to carry from the Commonwealth but can NOT carry on base. He forgot once and had to totally disassemble the gun and leave it at the guard gate. He will never make the mistake again.

(Schuylkill County)

Oh yea I forgot to mention that you consent to search by coming on post. The good thing is I've only seen it happen if you need a post pass because they don't like your decals.

(Northampton County)

When I was in the Army it was my understanding that people living in the barracks had to store their personal firearms in the armory. And several people did just that. I never looked into it any further. And it's old information

(Lehigh County)

You can not carry personally owned firearms on a military base, period. Every personally owned weapon must be checked in upon arrival. You have to have a reason to bring your weapon on post to begin with. If you are going to visit a friend or family member stationed at the post, they will tell you to leave it in your hotel room.

I had a friend (LTCF holder from Pa) come and visit me at Camp Lejeune NC who tried to check his firearm at the gate. This resulted in a ride in an MP cruiser for him and me. It took him 3 months to get his pistol returned. No charges were pressed on me, his were dismissed but it was major drama for everyone involved.

ETA: The reasoning for this is they have armed guards at the gates and the base is very well secured. BTW which branch did you enlist in?
    Last edited by ReconLdr; May 10th, 2009 at 03:01 PM.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    You can not carry personally owned firearms on a military base, period. Every personally owned weapon must be checked in upon arrival. You have to have a reason to bring your weapon on post to begin with. If you are going to visit a friend or family member stationed at the post, they will tell you to leave it in your hotel room.

I had a friend (LTCF holder from Pa) come and visit me at Camp Lejeune NC who tried to check his firearm at the gate. This resulted in a ride in an MP cruiser for him and me. It took him 3 months to get his pistol returned. No charges were pressed on me, his were dismissed but it was major drama for everyone involved.

ETA: The reasoning for this is they have armed guards at the gates and the base is very well secured. BTW which branch did you enlist in?
    I see I see. Going to go army, going to take this summer to get in shape. I was good to go right before we found out she was having the baby and then I dropped the ball. I gained more weight than my girlfriend did during the pregnancy :/
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast