Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default How to have an Open Carry event?

I'm officially a new PA resident (Sept. 08), but have been in the region for some time (originally from NJ, went to college here, lived in N. MD). Now that I'm a resident I started looking into LTCF and found this forum. I'm glad I joined because it has been a good talking point for the wife in regards to training, self-defense, and open carry.

I have not yet OC'd but would like to among friends. I would like to organize an event in my area. So my questions are for those who have put these events together. I'll probably register for opencarrypa later.

Where do I start? Talk to the owner? Find out who the manager for the scheduled event day is and talk to them? Just post the event here, make a reservation, and show up?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: How to have an Open Carry event?

Strap on carry piece.
    Go about daily business.

If you want a specific event, I'm sure you could propose a get together on these forums and others would show up to a dinner etc.

Other than that, it's completely legal and you don't need to call anybody to OC. Just strap up and do things like you normally would.

(Luzerne County)

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolsby View Post
    I'm officially a new PA resident (Sept. 08), but have been in the region for some time (originally from NJ, went to college here, lived in N. MD). Now that I'm a resident I started looking into LTCF and found this forum. I'm glad I joined because it has been a good talking point for the wife in regards to training, self-defense, and open carry.

I have not yet OC'd but would like to among friends. I would like to organize an event in my area. So my questions are for those who have put these events together. I'll probably register for opencarrypa later.

Where do I start? Talk to the owner? Find out who the manager for the scheduled event day is and talk to them? Just post the event here, make a reservation, and show up?
    People have done all 3. But asking the owner or manager for permission is likely to get a "no". Your best bet is to patronize the place OC a few times (or con one of us into doing it if you're 'gun shy'), and then when no one freaks out ask about making a reservation for a group. Don't mention anything about carry at all, but be open carrying while asking about a group event.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Lebanon County)

I come to Lancaster regularly and would be happy to OC with you a bit. Venice Pizza is EXTREMELY gun friendly. (we've had 2 events there) I also know for certain that Sloppy Janes is gun friendly. I mention these two places in case you want to venture out on your own just for a meal or something. Again, if you want to get together drop me a PM and we'll set something up.

As far as scheduling an actual event, there is the picnic that is already planned for next weekend and there will be a lot of people there OC/CC. Another member and I are hoping to set something up in Ephrata possibly in June but certainly we can look to plan something in Lancaster as well if you'd like. Again, PM me if you want some help. All you do is select a date and a location, post about it and people will come if their schedule allows.

(and I agree with truecrimson about asking the manager or owner in advance. I would personally skip that part.)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolsby View Post

First, welcome to PA and the forum.

Just remember, while OC is okay here in PA, you can not OC in a car while trying to get to your eating destination without having a LTCF. You can not even put the gun in the trunk of the car until you get to the destination because you are only aloud to transport when going to - from a shooting range.

Make sure you get your LTCF before you get into a car with a gun.

Looks like others have covered everything.
    Plan and they will come.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

I want to do a gathering in southern York county, but I can't figure out where and when. Maybe I am discouraged because when I tried to do a bigger gathering before, everyone but 1 person canceled out, so I called it off. Is the area in question poisonous or something? LOL

I've only managed to OC a few times "on my own" at once place, 1 time with a customer who also OC'd, and the other time with parents and a friend. There weren't many other people there at the time either. I've thought of OCing to the pet store and Goodwill, but the other day I at the Goodwill chatting about guns with this guy I see time to time in there, and noticed other people in there looking nervously at us. Good lord, if I was OCing, would they have all run out of the store? Maybe it was me telling the guy about my fast firing a full mag's worth with the 9mm at the 8" round target at 10yards and how I hit all inside the 8", and how the one guy there at the range with me said " dayum, I don't want to get her mad at me!"? Were the other folks in the Goodwill a bunch of pansy liberals who thought this guy and myself were "terrorist evil right wingers"? LOL
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    I want to do a gathering in southern York county, but I can't figure out where and when.
    Old Country Buffet in Shrewsbury? Right off 83. Coach light in Shrewsbury? Small, homey, good prices. Or are you talking more towards Delta? Fawn Grove is my old stomping ground.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Plan and they will come.
    I have to agree with fingers. just find a place and schedule it. you will get a few of us to show up. Maybe a lot of us.

I don't live to far from Manhiem so it would be nice to see others OC'ing. I have yet to see anyone in the area OC'ing. but so far the times i have the only thing said to me was "what are you carrying?". so only good so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast