Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Anyone here use MagicJack for telephone calls?

Just wondering if you do, how do you like it? How's the call quality? Any disadvantages from your personal experience? Any other problems, concerns, comments?

What's bad that I see is that it is dependent on your internet connection, your computer and your AC power. If there's a power failure... no computer, no internet and no magicjack service. Of course unless the power is out for days, that wouldn't be too big of a deal I guess.

I looked around their website to get a better idea, but just wanted some real-world, actual user comments.

Thanks.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Anyone here use MagicJack for telephone calls?

Christina and I just use our cell phones..we haven't had a house phone in a year 1/2..doesn't bother us 1 bit..just 1 less bill we don't need.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Luzerne County)

The wife wanted to try it. She never got around to it.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Bucks County)

6 cell phones here, no house phone for over 2 years now. I admit to being very curious about Magic Jack too though.

(Adams County)

We have it, everywhere we call is considered long distance. It hiccups now and then, but it's up and fine 99% of the time. It's not as reliable as the land-line, but it's also not an extra $50 per month for unlimited calling either.

I ended up buying a second computer cheap to do nothing but run the magic jack, a set of 4 handset cordless phones and a powered USB hub for less than $300, which turns out to be 6 months of savings. I've recouped that already in lower phone bills.

Cell phones will replace the landline, but you're looking at over $100 a month for service there. I don't need to feel connected 100% of the time, so I used to have a pay as you go for emergencies. Work provides me a blackberry though, so that saved me even more. Honestly, my wife and I are no fans of cell phones so other than the pay as you go that we would use very rarely we wouldn't waste the cash on 'em.

Personally, I think the magic jack is VERY worthwhile, but since my wife is at home with the kids all day, I don't trust the magic jack 911 service, and when power/cable goes out you have no phone, and the thousands of places I'd have to change the phone number to would have been a major hassle, we kept our landline with very basic service just for emergencies and to receive calls. All we really wanted was a simple dialtone, but because we want caller ID and an unlisted number we have to pay a little more.

Still, MJ is worth the 20 or so bucks a YEAR. I bought the 5 year plan for $100 or so, and even then I've still saved money from cutting long distance by $50 even after buying all the stuff listed above (there was other stuff too, )

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Monroe County)

I use T-Mobile@Home for home phone service but you are correct, its Dependant upon your ISP not being shit... mine is shit (Blue Ridge Cable) so we use our cell phones as backups.

In all honesty if I had good coverage at home through T-Mo I would probably ditch the @home and just use cell phone
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    Personally, I think the magic jack is VERY worthwhile, but since my wife is at home with the kids all day, I don't trust the magic jack 911 service, and when power/cable goes out you have no phone, and the thousands of places I'd have to change the phone number to would have been a major hassle, we kept our landline with very basic service just for emergencies and to receive calls. All we really wanted was a simple dialtone, but because we want caller ID and an unlisted number we have to pay a little more.
    A disconnected landline should still be able to dial 911, I believe it's a federal law. Something to keep in mind in case a person does not have a landline service and happens to have an extra handset around.

I always make sure I have a handset around that will dial without power, just in case. (and I don't even have a land line at my house right now)

Quote Originally Posted by weaselchew View Post
    A disconnected landline should still be able to dial 911, I believe it's a federal law. Something to keep in mind in case a person does not have a landline service and happens to have an extra handset around.

I always make sure I have a handset around that will dial without power, just in case. (and I don't even have a land line at my house right now)
    old disconnected cell phones will work for 911 too.

I guess another downside is that you can't use your current phone number with MJ and get assigned a random one from a "major metropolitan city". Apparently you can change it once for free if you desire.

I dunno, doesn't sound like I'll be changing to MJ anytime soon...just wanted some opinions...thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    old disconnected cell phones will work for 911 too.
    Not very old cell phones though. I have an old Motorola Star Tac that was not 911 ready, or whatever it's called, and it won't call 911. That was a great phone in its day