Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Berry's Bullets

(York County)

Default Berry's Bullets

Hi all,
    I have 1k of Berry's plated 124gr hollow point 9mm bullets. I am trying to work up a load that will cycle my 92FS and give me fair groupings. I am using titegroup powder.
    Any ideas?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Berry's Bullets

I don’t think you will get to many takers on this, its not that reloaders don’t want to share loads, but one a load that works well for me may not for you two I would be very suspicious of any load I got on line. If you go out to a couple powder company web, sites. They should have some loads posted. Just remember that Berry bullets should not be used in Max loads. I use mid range or cast bullet loads for them

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by hornady View Post
    I don’t think you will get to many takers on this, its not that reloaders don’t want to share loads, but one a load that works well for me may not for you two I would be very suspicious of any load I got on line. If you go out to a couple powder company web, sites. They should have some loads posted. Just remember that Berry bullets should not be used in Max loads. I use mid range or cast bullet loads for them
    What he said, for sure. Look on the Hogdon site,

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Llook carefully at the loads listed there, back off 10% for starters, and work up from there. That is the time-honored method, and it is that way for your own safety amd education. Watch carefully for signs of excess pressure, for your gun may be (probably IS) different from the universal test reciever that they used to work up the load data at Hogdon.

That IS the fun of this relaoding game.

Flash

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by hornady View Post
    not only that..we don't want to be responsible for a load that could harm someone or their gun and then get blamed for it..I'm not saying it'll happen, but it COULD.

Like hornady said..you gotta find out what functions best in your gun...what my gun might like, your gun might not.

personally, my guns love
    115gr fmj bullet over 5.7gr of Unique.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Cumberland County)

From the FAQ's on Berry's web site:
    http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq.aspx

How do I load Berry's Preferred Plated Bullets?

Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.
    How fast can I shoot these bullets?

Velocities depend on the caliber, but as a rule of thumb, we recommend you don't shoot our plated bullets over 1200 feet-per-second. Our 44's actually shoot best around 1150 fps. 45's are generally good at 850-900 fps. Our bullets are not recommended for magnum velocities.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(York County)

Thanks for the info. I should have added this prior to posting.
    I have read the info on Berry's website and I also called them and they had no data on using titegroup.
    On Saturday I tried a 4.0 load of titegroup and got fair groups at 15 yards.
    I was just wodering if anyone else had ever tired that power and bullet combo. Besides Lee, there is little published data for plated bullets.

I fully understand that one load will work well in one gun and not the other. I have found that depending on the temp some of my rifles can shoot 2 inch groups at 100 yards or they can look like a pattern at 100 yards. I have noticed groupings just by changing barrels on my 92FS let alone different guns. I also would never try someones personal, homebrew, load unless I can find the load published in a current reloading manual.

Thank you for the people who took the time to respond.

(Lancaster County)

I load the Berry plated 9mm over 3.6gr of Titegroup. I settled on that load a while back and is all I shoot for practice. This is a pretty light load, but it cycles fine in my 24/7.
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.-Thomas Jefferson

(York County)

I would like to see what Berry's hollow points do in jugs of water or gel.