Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Laser bore sight for 5.56

B"H

Hello guys, I am looking for a cheap laser 5.56 boresighter for my ar15. do any of you gentlemen know where i could find one ONLINE. Inexpensive ones please. Thank you very much.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Laser bore sight for 5.56

I got one off of ebay. I forget how much I paid. It was not much.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Chester County)

Define cheap. You can buy a cartridge one that fits in the chamber new for under $40 at opticsplanet.com. It's the same one Cabelas sells, but cabelas puts their own name on it and charges about $5 more. As suggested, probably eBay is the only way to get it cheaper unless you luck out and find someone selling a used one.

The good thing is, after you have one in 5.56 (well, really .223) you can buy $10 covers (arbors) for it and use it in multiple calibers and shotguns. Well worth it to me and I'm sure I save well over $40 in ammo sighting in scopes with it.

I have the other kind that sticks out the muzzle too. I got it as a gift and keep it in my throw around bag. It'll get you on paper, but it doesn't come close to the other one as far as getting me in the center with minimal rounds.

(Delaware County)

Agree with above:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/yukon-si...re-sights.html

Got me on paper very quickly. Not perfect by any means. Don't go pushing beyond 50 meters. But you can get your windage dialed in pretty well.

One note. The laser is not completely concentric with the bore. It's definitely a few minutes out. But that is still good enough to hit paper as I said.

eww?

ok now really. cuz im about to put over a grand worth of optics on my new AR and i want it to SING when its done.

so lets say we wanted quality....... suggestions?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock501 View Post
    eww?

ok now really. cuz im about to put over a grand worth of optics on my new AR and i want it to SING when its done.

so lets say we wanted quality....... suggestions?
    Unless I misunderstood the OP, we're talking about a tool to help sight in the optics, not a laser sight to use for target aquisition. So IMHO, the one mentioned above IS a quality.

Keep in mind that a laser bore sight is to get you close by allowing you to put the dot on your target, then adjusting your optics to put the cross hairs on the dot. It's not a device meant to turn your rifle into a tack driver in 3 rounds. Without one, if you miss paper and don't see see dirt or wood chips flying near your target, you can go through several mags of ammo guessing if you're high, low, left or right.

If you start with a laser bore sight at 25 or 50 yards, even if it's not dead accurate, it's good enough to get you on paper on the first round. Once you're there, the rest is up to you.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    Without one, if you miss paper and don't see see dirt or wood chips flying near your target, you can go through several mags of ammo guessing if you're high, low, left or right.
    I'm having flashbacks to sighting in my 91/30 sniper. Other guys who were at the range were telling me "looks like you just exploded part of the backstop... okay now you exploded some gravel in front of the target... wait was that a hole on paper? Nope, you just kicked up mud onto the target..." hahahahah

Back on topic:
    There are also chamber bore sighters you can get at gun shows for cheap, like $20, and I'm sure they're available online. Only thing is they're made-in-china-tastic (heh I made a new word) and way off center, meant to get you only onto paper and you can figure it out from there. (You turn on the sighter, lay the case down on a level surface across from a relatively blank wall and give it a gentle roll- when the laser dot loops up and down the wall as it rolls you know it's out of center and not gonna be the best sight in.) YMMV, I would suggest getting the one from opticsplanet if you want the best quality.

(Delaware County)

Isn't that basically what I said? Not perfect but good enough to start tuning the finest optics.

There is no such thing as a bore sight that will get you on paper at 100 meters. OK, maybe with some really good luck. But the standard method is to start at 25 and work out with windage as the priority adjustment. Many scope rings give windage adjustment so it is best to use it before going to the finer scope windage.

(York County)

i ordered a cartridge one from Sportsman Guide for $29.99. Gets the job done. also it came with spare batteries, a neat little case, and a lens pen.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks everyone who posted about these. I have been considering one for a while. Even though they are kind of cheap, I still didn't want to throw away ~$40.

I'm glad to hear they serve their purpose and will help get you on paper at 25 yards.