Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Intruder in school...kids hide in the bathroom..WHAT!?

So we're driving back to my daughter's school today from her ped's appt. She's just babbling away as usual and she starts talking about some "code blue" they have been practicing. I swear as she was describing it they called it a code red last year but I digress...

She tells me that if there is a bad person in the building her teacher is to lock the classroom door and then all the kids are to go into the bathroom (within the classroom) and be quiet. She also tells me that her teacher probably can't lock the door because he told them one time that he never brings his keys to lock and unlock the door.

I know, someone is going to ask me how old she is. She's 6. If you knew her you'd believe her. She remembers EVERYTHING. She reminded us about some construction on a road to my mom's house in LANCASTER a MONTH after the last time we had been there.

So she then says to me "It's dumb that we do that. A bad guy could just come in and get us in the bathroom and we have nowhere to go." I'm thinking to myself YA FUCKING THINK!!!? I think this is the dumbest idea EVER.

I didn't hold back. I told her if anything the school needs armed security. Yes, men WITH guns and not some 70 year old retiree who unlocks the door when you come AND when you go. She says "yeah they need to have them at all the doors too!" See, she's not dumb. I told her the teachers should be allowed to carry guns too. I said it only takes seconds for a criminal to come along and start shooting. I said that man they call security can do NOTHING to stop a threat like that. I told her I wasn't trying to make her afraid to go to school but that it's just a reality that the sheeple put up this ridiculous illusion that the kids are safe hiding in a bathroom with nowhere to run.

Ok, feel free to tell me I have it all wrong.
    Last edited by shefearsnothing; May 8th, 2009 at 01:37 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Intruder in school...kids hide in the bathroom..WHAT!?

The reason they have them all hide in the bathrooms is that way they can find all the bodies on one place. They won't have to search for them. Secondly, bathrooms usually have floor drains. That way they can just wash all the blood down the drain. Less cleanup of the class room afterward.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by shefearsnothing View Post
    So she then says to me "It's dumb that we do that. A bad guy could just come in and get us in the bathroom and we have nowhere to go." I'm thinking to myself YA FUCKING THINK!!!? I think this is the dumbest idea EVER.

Ok, feel free to tell me I have it all wrong.
    OK, then, I'll try.

Devil's advocate here. I'm assuming the students can't easily be evacuated outside, or the shooter is outside covering exits. I'll also go ahead and assume that the bathroom is inside the classroom, and has enough room for all the kids. (In my schools, the bathroom EITHER was in the classroom OR was big enough for several students, but not both. Anyway...)

In that scenario, there's something to be said for getting the kids into the bathroom for concealment and maybe even cover, lock the classroom door to slow down the shooter, and have an armed teacher inside the classroom, outside the bathroom, to take down the shooter if he gets in the room.

Similar to a home-defense plan where the bedrooms are all upstairs: get the family into one of the bedrooms, and then station the armed dad by the top of the stairs, and the armed mom on the bedroom door.

(Montgomery County)

Yeah, with the state of things today, there is no way for a school to protect the kids. Unless they start allowing teachers or security to carry.

We all know that when something goes down, the police / swat pretty much wait outside until the gunfire is over to go have a look see.

My suggestion, buy her a kevlar back pack - it's honestly the only thing that might help. Putting them all in the bathroom makes it like shooting fish out of a barrel for the bad guy. Very sad to say but very true.

for a second I thought this was a coors light ad, just kidding. But in seriousness there is only so much a school can do "lock the door and procede to shit yourself" is really the only plan they can have. We can't have weapons on us legally so what are we to do?

(Lebanon County)

Adam, I hear you about slowing the shooter down but here's the thing, you say slow the shooter down and then something about a teacher being able to take down the shooter? Uh yeah. Right. They won't allow them to be armed. If they did then I could go with the bathroom thing.

Kevlar backback...they are a nice idea but do you think the teacher is going to let my kid go and get hers if they are herding all the kids into the bathroom? What happens when Susie and Joey start screaming and crying because Isabella was allowed to get HER backpack but they weren't and then they won't shut up and keep quiet in the bathroom? (sorry, not trying to sound like your idea is no good..)

(Lebanon County)

We can't have weapons on us legally so what are we to do?
    Says who? I mean, it's not like it's written in the law somewhere that schools can not allow their teachers to carry, is it? I don't remember reading that anywhere. I know, I know. They are allowing it in, what is it? Texas?

I hate this locked doors thing too. What if a class had a chance to get out and they couldn't because the fucking doors are ALL locked. I am still waiting for someone to tell me what happens if there is a power outage and a fire how they are going to get the kids out of there. I get it that they are locked for no one to get IN but for no one to be able to get OUT either!!? I don't like it at all.

(Allegheny County)

Adam, I hear you about slowing the shooter down but here's the thing, you say slow the shooter down and then something about a teacher being able to take down the shooter? Uh yeah. Right. They won't allow them to be armed...
    Great Scott! That does change things. If the teacher isn't even armed, they're almost certainly better off taking their chances going out the window and running for the woods. How could a school be so reckless as to leave armed personnel out of their disaster plans?

My son's school not only has an armed principal, but keeps an armory right inside the facility.

Oh, right. My son's home-schooled.

Says who? I mean, it's not like it's written in the law somewhere that schools can not allow their teachers to carry, is it?
    I'm on your side, I'd love to be able to carry at work to defend against violent intruders. I know at least one other person at the school has his ltcf and there maybe more. "lock the door and kiss your ass goodbye" is not a policy I subscribe to. If I die at work I want it to come with the words "look at this" or "it sounded like a good idea at the time".

(Montgomery County)

Adam, I hear you about slowing the shooter down but here's the thing, you say slow the shooter down and then something about a teacher being able to take down the shooter? Uh yeah. Right. They won't allow them to be armed. If they did then I could go with the bathroom thing.

Kevlar backback...they are a nice idea but do you think the teacher is going to let my kid go and get hers if they are herding all the kids into the bathroom? What happens when Susie and Joey start screaming and crying because Isabella was allowed to get HER backpack but they weren't and then they won't shut up and keep quiet in the bathroom? (sorry, not trying to sound like your idea is no good..)

Nope, you have a very valid point. My son is 15 and in middle school. He can't even carry his back pack around. He has to leave it in his locker. I thought about kevlar in his binder though - but have not followed through.

When he was in grade school, he stayed in one class room and hung his back pack inside the class room - but I agree, the teacher might not let him go get it.

Next year, he goes to the high school where they allow back packs - so, that is my plan - kevlar panel sewed in. I know it might be a little crazy but since they have no means to protect themselves it seems the only option.

I have gone over time and time again with my son that regardless of what the school policy is that if there is a gunman in the school that he is to do everything in his powers to get the hell out of the school. Even if that means putting a chair / desk through a window and jumping out the window. He asked what if it was on the second floor - I told him it was better to break a leg jumping out that to be shot to death inside. I think he gets it.

But in your case, there is only so much a 6 year old can do because for the most part, at that age, they still look to the teachers to help / guide them.
    Last edited by Guns4Fun; May 8th, 2009 at 02:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast