Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Philla will deny you if Driver License Suspended or Parking Tickets

Forum member rsklar informed me today when applying for his LTCF

the Phila Gun Permit Unit has signs posted that if your Drivers License is Suspended you will be denied an LTCF. (denied is bolded and underlined)

I am almost certain this is not covered by regulation.

They also told him that any outstanding motor vehicle tickets or parking tickets would result in denial.

Is this legal? what do these items have to do with the statutory reasons to issue or deny an LTCF?

gbrown221
    Last edited by gbrown221; May 8th, 2009 at 12:19 PM.

Default Re: Philla will deny you if Driver License Suspended or Parking Tickets

Every day the Philadelphia Police Gun Permit Unit violates the law and the rights of Pennsylvanians who apply for LTCFs. They are able to do so because so far, no one has sued them in court to make them obey the law. Until someone does, they are not likely to change.

(Allegheny County)

Character clause?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Game View Post
    Character clause?
    I fail to see how someone with parking tickets is liable to "act in a manner dangerous to public safety" (ref 18 PaCS §6109(d)(3))

A suspended license, I might see flying, depending on WHY it is suspended. But that's a stretch.
    Last edited by lildobe; May 8th, 2009 at 03:36 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Game View Post
    Character clause?
    And that, sadly, is likely how they'd be able to get away with it if anyone ever sued.

"Your honor, a suspended drivers license indicates that this individual operates his motor vehicle in a manner dangerous to public safety and as such under 'blah blah blah character clause' we denied his application for an LTCF"

"Your honor, his outstanding parking tickets indicate that he has no regard for the laws of the commonwealth 'blah blah character clause' so we denied..."

Complete BS, but that's how they'd spin it to justify their denial.

That clause needs to be removed or rewritten to be more specific.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by mjfletcher View Post
    And that, sadly, is likely how they'd be able to get away with it if anyone ever sued.
    mj, I have to disagree here. When someone does finally sue these thugs, I believe the court will uphold the law. Perhaps I'm being nieve, but the statute seems clear enough on character and days to process, I really think it's a winner. One day later this year or early next, I'm going to solicit donations for attorneys fees and nominations for model plaintiffs and we will see, because there will be a suit.

Quote Originally Posted by mjfletcher View Post

"Your honor, a suspended drivers license indicates that this individual operates his motor vehicle in a manner dangerous to public safety and as such under 'blah blah blah character clause' we denied his application for an LTCF"

"Your honor, his outstanding parking tickets indicate that he has no regard for the laws of the commonwealth 'blah blah character clause' so we denied..."

Complete BS, but that's how they'd spin it to justify their denial.

That clause needs to be removed or rewritten to be more specific.
    and then the judge will say: "SIr you have unpaid parking tickets and yet you have the money to get your LTCF and pay for an attorney to fight this?"
    Courage is not the absence of fear but the mastery of it

(Venango County)

Interesting thought, anywhere else in the state, they can deny they are abridging your 2A rights because you can always Openly Carry if you absolutely must (right or wrong btw).

Yet in Philly, they cannot state that as the City of the First Class requires a permit to OC as well as CC. Hmmmm....

You owe us $10 in parking fines so you are not allowed to defend yourself.

Great. Geniuses. This is why I cringe everytime a Governor is elected from philly.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown221 View Post
    Forum member rsklar informed me today when applying for his LTCF

the Phila Gun Permit Unit has signs posted that if your Drivers License is Suspended you will be denied an LTCF. (denied is bolded and underlined)

I am almost certain this is not covered by regulation.

They also told him that any outstanding motor vehicle tickets or parking tickets would result in denial.

Is this legal? what do these items have to do with the statutory reasons to issue or deny an LTCF?

gbrown221
    Hello brother, its nice to see im in good company. as for the drivers license, its just a way for them to collect more money. people get license suspended for unpaid fines. if they pay the fines they get them back.
    the same for unpaid parking tickets

(York County)

I made a thread a while back about how my license was suspended and i was wondering if i would be able to get my LTCF, as i was going to apply for mine a few days later.

Long story short, i got my LTCF, even though my license is suspended. I also talked to a sheriff about it, and he actually laughed at me and said "why would you think your drivers license status, a license to drive a vehicle, would prevent you from carrying a firearm?" I also researched the laws regarding it. What those Killadelphia guys are doing is against the law, and they need to be reprimanded, and fast.

I think its total bullshit, that they are denying people for dumb, totally unrelated stuff like a drivers license suspension.

Just another reason i stay my ass out of Killadelphia.
    Last edited by WhiteShadow; May 8th, 2009 at 11:39 PM.
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast