Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default First OC, 2 questions

Since all of you guys inspired me, i OC'd today while walking the dog. it must have lasted all of about 15 minutes. i have two questions

1) how long until it starts to feel normal?

2) i live in an apartment complex. i know that private property holders can tell me to leave, but can the management company come after me if i OC within the grounds of the apartment complex? my lease doesn't say anything about it except to say that disturbing the peace and quiet of the management and neighbors is against the rules.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: First OC, 2 questions

I felt normal pretty quick. I think it is a personal thing about feeling comfortable.
    "Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'" -unknown

(Lebanon County)

I don't know the answer to number 2 (I have an idea but I'll let someone who knows more about that answer you definitively).

As for number 1, do you OC around your home? That will certainly "help" if you're looking for it to feel more natural. Other then that all I can say is the more you do it the more natural it will feel. Eventually it will just feel odd when you HAVE to conceal.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sdsorrentino View Post
    Since all of you guys inspired me, i OC'd today while walking the dog. it must have lasted all of about 15 minutes. i have two questions

2) i live in an apartment complex. i know that private property holders can tell me to leave, but can the management company come after me if i OC within the grounds of the apartment complex? my lease doesn't say anything about it except to say that disturbing the peace and quiet of the management and neighbors is against the rules.

I was scared to death to OC my first time, so much so my first post on this forum was asking if anyone would like to pop my OC cherry with me because i was scared of what would happen by myself.

I have been OC since then (going on two months now) I still feel awkward from time to time going into stores (i seem to rush a lot and try to get out of there) But places such as cabellas, gander mt, etc i feel right at home no prob. Also I feel completely fine OCing on the streets, just stores that i don't go to often still get me a little off.

as for your apartment issue thing. As for the common areas Its there building and they can have a no gun policy if they wish. HOWEVER that is not grounds for a termination of your lease.

(Montgomery County)

Took me about a week to be used to OC.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom ... go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels nor arms. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

I myself OC all the time, Then again i was an active duty Marine, and we never concealed then i worked armed security for a while...So maybe with the above mentioned two that may have helped not sure, I know when i dont have my side arm on me then i feel weird..lolol..Other then that i dont think about it, I just go about my daily business...Alot of it has to do with how confindent you are as a person..

(Berks County)

1) Didn't take much time for me, as I started carrying OC, and then moved to CC. Its a personal thing though. Good advice to OC around the house, and places you know well. Other ease-in ideas would be to OC to your friend's home for any kind of get together. If there's a convenience store you go to regularly, that's another good place. Ive never been harassed in Turkey Hill/Wawa/Sheetz.

2) IANAL, and I dont know exactly what it says on your lease, but from the legal aspect they can ask you to move out for any reason they wish. However, Im pretty sure that would constitute a breach of contract if you have an extended lease (vs. month to month).

Realistically, I see the worst case scenario being them leaving you a note or stopping by to tell you to stop OCing. That would be the point to try and go and educate them on the laws and whatnot. It can probably be resolved one way or the other before anyone gets evicted.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by CommonHighrise View Post
    2) IANAL, and I dont know exactly what it says on your lease, but from the legal aspect they can ask you to move out for any reason they wish. However, Im pretty sure that would constitute a breach of contract if you have an extended lease (vs. month to month).

Realistically, I see the worst case scenario being them leaving you a note or stopping by to tell you to stop OCing. That would be the point to try and go and educate them on the laws and whatnot. It can probably be resolved one way or the other before anyone gets evicted.
    The bold part is my understanding as well.

2. No. If your lease is silent on the issue of guns or open carry, then you are entitled to do so. It is a legal activity and they cannot modify the lease terms in the middle of your occupancy with new terms or obligations at their whim. They can of course refuse to renew your lease and have you leave at the end of the term. They can ask you to move out, just like you can ask them to lower your rent to 1$. Both have the same force of law. You have an agreement in place and any move to evict you based on open carry before the end of the lease will leave them wide open to a civil suit.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sdsorrentino View Post

Wear a smile, be courteous, be confident in your rights. Either people will see you, or they'll see their own fears reflected off that gun. It shouldn't feel any more worrisome than prominently wearing a crucifix necklace. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Always maintain your cool, think before you speak and you'll be fine in most if not all situations.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast