Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Springfield GI Models?

In the eight months between now and the time I turn 21 and can apply for my LTCF, I'd like to pick up a 1911 and a snubnose .357 Magnum.

Would a Springfield GI make a good first entry into the world of 1911s? They're not the most attractive 1911s by a long shot, but the price is certainly right and I know that there are a ton of Springfield fans. I've heard a lot of good things about the Mil-Spec, as well...would I be better off dropping the extra cash on one of them?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Springfield GI Models?

check out rock island armory's 1911's... im actually looking in to getting one and from their reviews they are a decently accurate and durable gun for a really good price of under like 400$

that aside the springfield armory makes some great guns and their customer service is one of the tops.... cant say how the customer service is with Rock Island Armory.. either way you cant go wrong...

(Lawrence County)

Have you looked at the STI Spartan?

Lycansuggestionthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Philadelphia County)

Depends on what you want.

.45 ACP I assume.

Do you want a single or double stack? Are you looking for a smaller carry sidearm, or a full size? How much are you looking to spend??? If you have some cash to work with, I'd look at Sig's 1911s.

As for the .357, Id look into a S&W.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by biggs88 View Post
    Depends on what you want.

.45 ACP I assume.

Do you want a single or double stack? Are you looking for a smaller carry sidearm, or a full size? How much are you looking to spend??? If you have some cash to work with, I'd look at Sig's 1911s.

As for the .357, Id look into a S&W.
    Yes, .45 ACP...preferably single stack, and size isn't really an issue. I'm just looking for a 1911 to fit a college student's budget, so I've been looking at guns in the $400-$600 range. I know that the Springfield name is one well-loved and trusted by a lot of gun owners, which is what drew me to the GI line.

As far as a .357, I've been looking at the Taurus 617.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope
    Have you looked at the STI Spartan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrepp61
    check out rock island armory's 1911's
    I've looked at both of those as options as well. Anybody have range reports on the RIA 1911s?

Shopping for guns is no fun when your wallet is thin.

(York County)

I would look for a rock island tactical. They are good pistols out of the box 9/10 and if it isn't right their customer service is top notch. Their representatives frequent m1911.org and answers questions and concerns there.

I purchased a firestorm dlx 1911 which is another phillipine manufactured pistol. I paid $440 OTD for mine. It has a very nice blued finish, single side extended thumb safety, extended bevertail grip safety, extended slide stop, novak style sights. I added a full length guide rod to mine. I haven't had a single problem with mine and I really like the blued finish as opposed to the parkerized finish on the Rock Island's.
    Last edited by autotech6506; May 7th, 2009 at 06:18 PM.

(Lebanon County)

the gi model is great. but you need to like the bare bones gi guns. they have no bells and whistles, but they work.
    and seeings how you're only 21 you'll have no problems seeing those tiny sights.
    they are great shooters as well.....disreguard those stories you might have heard about not being able to hit the side of a barn.....from inside it.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Allegheny County)

If you happen to be a lefty I'd suggest a RIA tactical or a better model SA which has an ambidextrous safety or decocker. Also since this sounds like your first buy, I feel compelled to tell you SA is not the American SA, the guns are manufactured in Croatia and they just stole the name for marketing purposes. Clever tactic, but I was a little disappointed. Seems like a dishonest business trick to me.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by MuzzleFlash View Post
    I feel compelled to tell you SA is not the American SA, the guns are manufactured in Croatia and they just stole the name for marketing purposes. Clever tactic, but I was a little disappointed. Seems like a dishonest business trick to me.
    a little fact checking is in order for you.
    the guns are not made in croatia. one of them, the xd i think, was designed in or based on a croatian design...iirc it might be made there as well.
    most of the guns are forged in brazil, some are assembled there, by imbel....a very rep worthy firearms manufacturer.
    they did'nt steal the name, but they are not the originator of it.
    Last edited by brian; May 7th, 2009 at 07:45 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    a little fact checking is in order for you.
    the guns are not made in croatia. one of them, the xd i think, was designed in or based on a croatian design...iirc it might be made there as well.
    most of the guns are forged in brazil, some are assembled there, by imbel....a very rep worthy firearms manufacturer.
    they did'nt steal the name, but they are not the originator of it.
    Man.. I can't even trust the stamp on the back of my gun? I have no complaints about the quality of their firearms, I just prefer some truth in advertising. While SA is "the oldest name in American firearms," they are not the same producer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast