Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trip to the mall...

Well this evening I went to my girlfriends house in Lehighton, Carbon county. After sitting around awhile we decided to go to the Allentown area. Only being in the area once before, I asked her what the crime rate was in Allentown. She laughed and said its one of the worst in PA… I was a bit confused on how and why… Can anyone confirm this for me? After hearing that, I was a bit happy to be carrying. We stopped at a few stores and then headed to the mall. Well we nib-nosed around for a while and she got some things here and there. I started to get tired and sat on a bench. My girlfriend went into some trinket store, a place I don’t care to be in. Well I sat there and just observed my surroundings. The kids these days are just disrespectful. The way they dress and act are just atrocious! This kid almost knocked over an elderly woman when walking with his friends. A girl was spitting off the 2nd floor tiring to hit people walking below. Don’t make me start on how some people dress… I don’t know if its just me being from the country up in Elk County or what, I just don’t understand it. It must be the city folk or just today’s fashion, who knows? I saw a lone mall guard walking around not doing much, and it got me thinking, why don’t they carry a weapon? Hell all the guy had was a radio. What would he do to protect someone if some nut comes in shooting the place up? I don’t understand why they don’t carry? After a while I got up and leaned on the 2nd story railing looking at the people below. A few minuets passed and I caught the word “gun” in a sentence. I turned to see 2 teens looking at me in a shocked manner. They turned and walked away after I looked at them. I must have had the grip exposed as I was leaning against the rail. My girlfriend came out and we went to the book store, I almost bought Obama-Nation. A book on how he will screw up the country, but I didn’t feel like getting an ulcer from reading the dam book. All in all pretty uneventful. Just had a few questions, Is Allentown really that bad with crime? And why don’t mall guards go threw training to carry, or at least have pepper spray? Last what’s with kids these days?
    ΑΣΦ

Default Re: Trip to the mall...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam M Geer View Post
    Well this evening I went to my girlfriends house in Lehighton, Carbon county. After sitting around awhile we decided to go to the Allentown area. Only being in the area once before, I asked her what the crime rate was in Allentown. She laughed and said its one of the worst in PA… I was a bit confused on how and why… Can anyone confirm this for me? After hearing that, I was a bit happy to be carrying. We stopped at a few stores and then headed to the mall. Well we nib-nosed around for a while and she got some things here and there. I started to get tired and sat on a bench. My girlfriend went into some trinket store, a place I don’t care to be in. Well I sat there and just observed my surroundings. The kids these days are just disrespectful. The way they dress and act are just atrocious! This kid almost knocked over an elderly woman when walking with his friends. A girl was spitting off the 2nd floor tiring to hit people walking below. Don’t make me start on how some people dress… I don’t know if its just me being from the country up in Elk County or what, I just don’t understand it. It must be the city folk or just today’s fashion, who knows? I saw a lone mall guard walking around not doing much, and it got me thinking, why don’t they carry a weapon? Hell all the guy had was a radio. What would he do to protect someone if some nut comes in shooting the place up? I don’t understand why they don’t carry? After a while I got up and leaned on the 2nd story railing looking at the people below. A few minuets passed and I caught the word “gun” in a sentence. I turned to see 2 teens looking at me in a shocked manner. They turned and walked away after I looked at them. I must have had the grip exposed as I was leaning against the rail. My girlfriend came out and we went to the book store, I almost bought Obama-Nation. A book on how he will screw up the country, but I didn’t feel like getting an ulcer from reading the dam book. All in all pretty uneventful. Just had a few questions, Is Allentown really that bad with crime? And why don’t mall guards go threw training to carry, or at least have pepper spray? Last what’s with kids these days?

Yes the crime rate is high in Allentown, I used to work Armed Security at some of the clubs downtown, As far as the mall security, Im guessing because the mall does not want them to be armed...Not for sure why not, Me and my partner at the time always asked the same question about why are they not armed...Your better off protecting yourself in that town,Rather then rely on the so called security at the mall..My .02..

(Carbon County)

What time where you there? I was there with my 4 month old from 4 until 6:30. Anyway, yeah its that bad. The kids have zero respect. I was walking with my babygirl in a stroller and was almost walked into several times. I was given a dirty look like I did something wrong. Like it was my fault they almost walked into my baby. Such a shame.

(Lackawanna County)

Never been there. I cant tell you those kinds of things dont happen at my mall, but I can say that there are less wierdos there. Ive never seen kids almost knocking people down, or spitting, or any blatanly rude thing.
    I myself was a terrible kid, and I will freely admit that my mother and fathers free hand with dicipline had alot to do with the decent (in my own mind) human being Ive turned into today. You dont have to be elderly, or a woman for me to hold the door for you. I say good morning, thank you, or at least nod when I get a casual look.
    I also scare the bejeesus out of some people, no manner my attitude . I put it down to the dress and ink. Dunno what else it could be. Certainly not the firearm

Living in the Allentown area, I can tell you downtown is a lot rougher than the suburbs. In the suburbs we tend to have just vandalism, like broken car windows, slashed tires, egging's, etc. Downtown tends to be the victim of a lot more of the "violent" crimes, though most of it tends to be gang related.

I agree, mall "security" is a HUGE waste of money. What's the point? They have no legal authority to do anything. I guess they are supposed to make the sheeple feel safe?

I hear ya on the way people dress, but would you rather have a national dress code? Just some food for thought.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

I'll venture a wild guess that mall security is there to provide an illusion of security to patrons while protecting mall property and deterring theft and vandalizism. I doubt an armed mall security guard's duty would be to set up a defense perimeter in the event of a crazed gunman.
    As for the styles and behaviors of teens I've never noticed how they dress, I can't take my focus off the barrage of metal crap stuck in their face. In fact, I'm quite pleased with how they dress if it's wild enough to divert my focus from that mess.

(Lebanon County)

I think mall security is just about presence. They are supposed to serve as a deterent. You know, as if criminals aren't going to know any better.

(Lehigh County)

Maybe we can call that Mall Ninja guy to come in and clean the up the place.

I live in Allentown and out here in the burbs its not so bad. When you get downtown, it can get a little nasty.

As far as the way the kids dress now, it's not just the kids. Last year we had a birthday party for my daughter you should have seen how some of the parents dressed. There were two guys (fathers of Rileys guests) low to mid 20's who got rather offended when I handed them each a belt.

White guy thug (WGT) "Yo, what's dis fo?"

Me "It's to hold up your pants, I don't want to see your ass, nor does anyone else"

Black Guy Thug (BGT) "Das fucked up man"

Me "Why is that fucked up? "You come to my home and show me your ass, thats whats fucked up" "If you don't like the belts, I can go get my staple gun, or you can leave and get your own belt or change I don't care"

WGT "Yo, why you gotta act like this, guess you don't know who I am"

Me "I don't care who you are, this is my home and my family, please put on the belt or leave and come back when you are dressed appropriately for a family gathering"

BGT "You gotta problem with me? are you a racist?"

WGT "Yo dis guy don't like you [BGT] 'cause you black"

Me "I don't like the way you are dressed, specifically the way your pants hang down to your knees. Pull your pants up and secure them around your waist or leave, I will not ask you again."

By this time the discussion was getting heated, and the wives (theirs and mine) came over to see what the problem was. The WGTs wife said, "show a little respect for this mans home, if he wants you to pull your pants up, pull them up. And quit talking like a gangsta, you are from Salisbury, not the fucking hood"

They left put on pants that fit and returned. I thanked them and we had a beer.

They will be invited to the b-day party again this year since my daughter is still friends with their son, and daughter I will let you know how they show up this time.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Westmoreland County)

It's just not Allentown, a percentage of teenagers today have no respect for property or people. When I was a teenager we were criticized for our dress. As all of younger generations were dating back to the 20's. But we never wore our pants down to our knees with our underwear showing. I can remember a time when we weren't allowed to drive a car through town bare chested, todays guys must think they are macho when they walk the streets without a shirt and pants well below their hips. I was in Allentown approx. 10 years ago for a bowking tournament and you wouldn't walk the streets alone then. All malls and shopping areas throughout PA and probably other states are the same. The economy, loss of jobs and drugs are creating the problem. Be careful and use your street sense.

Trust No One!

(Monroe County)

Yeah Allentown has gotten really shitty. Especially center city, its the joy of the ghetto culture which keeps spreading. Allentown is chock full of NJ rejects and NY rejects and wanna be gangsters. Absolutely pathetic.

The Mall isn't bad, its just full of disrespectful pieces of shit just like everywhere else. I avoid it because I can't stand crowds, I'd rather order online or go to the shops on 248 and 33 South then head to the mall.

Trust me, St.Mary's is MUCH nicer then this side of the state with a much better "class" of people. You can tell just by walking into the Walmart out there compared to walking into the Walmart in Whitehall... people are polite, will give you a nod when you walk by, get out of the aisle...

St.Mary's is just 10 - 15 years behind us out here... and not in a bad way.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast