Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default 223 reload varget powder

I am just starting to reload 223 and was recomened varget powder.I am loadind 27 grains with a 55 grain head. The 27 grains fills the case to the top and the bullet compresses it. Does that sound right??

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 223 reload varget powder

You had better recheck you book. If you don't have a book, you had better get one. You should not be starting with 27 grains of Varget.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Lancaster County)

Hodgdon lists. 25.5 as a starting load and 27.5 as a max load. Max load will be compressed. Hornandy shows 26.4 as a max load. These are for 55 grain bullets. I wouldn't start at 27, that's for sure.

(Westmoreland County)

I've loaded up to 27, started with 5 rounds of 25.5 then 5 of 26.0 then 5 of 26.5 then 5 of 27, settled on 26.5. Recently decided to drop down to 26.0

27 starts flattening the primers a bit. I've heard you can go as high as 28 but I wouldn't, actually I think it would be hard to fit 28 grains of varget in a case without overflowing it...you'd have to pour very carefully.

With 27 grains of varget the powder is half way up the case mouth and there is a audible 'crunch' when seating the bullet.

They all seemed to cycle fine in my AR. I'm gonna take a hunch yer reloading for a AR15 or a Mini14 and using 55 gr FMJ... I'd go with 25.5-26.0 your brass will last longer. If you 'need' the extra velocity it would be for longer range (> 300 yards) and you'd probably use a heavier bullet anyway.

That being said... H-Varget is a fairly forgiving powder in 223 with 55 grain or less. It would be difficult to overload a .223 case powder wise, but there's always the possibility of bad brass. It is ok to compress the Varget in a 223.

IMPORTANT... the TYPE of bullet. The Barnes X bullets and what not.. solid copper jobs and such.. require a much lower load.

Get a load book.

Ok I'm done now, really.

(Centre County)

27 grains sounds kind of high. I shoot 25.5 grains of Varget behind a 55 grain bullet and get excellent groups with that load.

I'm a firm believer of conserving powder whenever I can. If I get good groups with 25.5 and the same results with 27, I'm saving 1.5 grains per round. I don't care how fast it gets there, just as long as it gets to the same place every time. With match loads, I'll load for maximum accuracy, for plinking loads I'll compromise a little accuracy to save some powder if I can. I guess I'm just a cheap bass turd.

Hey guys,

I have used Varget in my Model 700 with 69grn Sierra HPBT's and they are incredible with this powder. I am shooting 3/8" groups with 26.5grns and this bullet.

I have found IMR or H4198 (interchangeable) beneath a 55grn Blitzking to be extremely accurate even out to 300 yards. Have even done a little plinking at 500 yards with success. The 4198 only needs 22grns of powder to run a 55grn bullet at 3460fps (chronographed).

Just my 2c worth.

Ace

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by asavo757 View Post
    I am just starting to reload 223 and was recomened varget powder.I am loadind 27 grains with a 55 grain head. The 27 grains fills the case to the top and the bullet compresses it. Does that sound right??
    Never use someone elses load until you have worked up to the load in your rifle. I saw no mention of OAL with the loads listed in this thread. If you don't have a book, get one, and then get another. I reload with 2 books, and a couple of PDF's from the powder companies. I understand you are just asking about a compressed load, and what is normal for one due to the filled case, but you said you were new so I wanted to give you more information that may help you out.

I always start my loads right around the starting load because sometimes I have found the best results right around there. My goal is to get the most accurate load using as little powder as possible. Hotter loads will wear the barrel slightly more, plus use extra powder. If you load 1,000 rounds at 7gr and another 1,000 @ 8gr of powder, the 7gr load would need 1 lb of powder, where as the 8gr load would need 1lb + 1/7th of a pound. That 1/7th of a pound would give you an additional 142 rounds.

So yea, read the book(s) for load data, but ask around what people think of the components and/or combination.

Better to be safe right?
    Last edited by Fr0sty; May 21st, 2009 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by asavo757 View Post
    That's a little heavy. I use 26 gr. of Varget or BLC(2) with a 55 gr. FMJ. Both loads print the same and cycle the same, really no difference I see between the two and that's out of 5 different ARs. Both loads give me a tight group at 100 yds. Depending on the rifle anywhere from 1" out of a Colt H-Bar to up to 2.5" out of Bushmasters. 27 is MAX load in some manuals, I think I would back off some.

Quote Originally Posted by acebarracuda View Post
    Hey guys,

I have used Varget in my Model 700 with 69grn Sierra HPBT's and they are incredible with this powder. I am shooting 3/8" groups with 26.5grns and this bullet.

I have found IMR or H4198 (interchangeable) beneath a 55grn Blitzking to be extremely accurate even out to 300 yards. Have even done a little plinking at 500 yards with success. The 4198 only needs 22grns of powder to run a 55grn bullet at 3460fps (chronographed).

Just my 2c worth.

Ace
    What twist is your barrel? I have a 700 VSS and I can't use anything greater than 50 gr. in mine if I want 1" or less MOA. It just won't stabilize a 53 gr or heavier. Mine has 1:12 twist, you must have at least a 1:9 to hit like that with heavier bullets.

(Berks County)

Ummmm, do you have a reloading manual? If not, back away from the reloading bench until you get at least one and read it. You're a tragic accident waiting to happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast