Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best way to sight in my Bushmaster M4A3

Hi, all.

I finally got to fire my M4A3 at the state game range this weekend. Like a fool, I forgot the front sight post adjusting tool. Now, it's been awhile since I had to qualify for Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, so, I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas as for the best way sight in my rifle. As it stands, once I adjusted the rear sight windage knob 3 clicks to the right, I was hitting center mass, but 6 inches high. Any idea as to how many clicks I should adjust the front sight post?

Thanks!!!
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor-2009,classes available.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Best way to sight in my Bushmaster M4A3

You should be able use a ball-point pen, paper clip or bullet to adjust the front sight.

As far as sighting in, I am a big fan of the IBZ: Improvised Battlesight Zero.

This method optimizes the ballistics of the 5.56 round. It's a very flat trajectory out to over 200+ yards.
    So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause.

(Allegheny County)

I somewhat sighted the exact same rifle a few weeks ago, and I too forgot any tools. Basically I just used a bullet tip to push the locking mechanism down and used a small nail I found on the ground to rotate the sight down. I was shooting really high at zero, more like 8-9 inches. I had to turn the sight a few times to get in the X.

(Lehigh County)

Which type of rear sight do you have? If you have the Carry handle/A2 style sights try this:

For an M4/M16/AR start with mechanical zero which is:

1) Front sight post flush (the base of the front sight is flush with the mount)
    2) Rear sight elevation set to 8/3 if your range is meters... If your range is yds you may have to play around with the rear sight elevation. For M16A2 and yds instead of meters we set 8/3 then went down 1 click.
    3) Print out the attached target, make the adjustments based on the instructions on the target. You will be good to 300m.

You can use a nail, round, pen etc to make the adjustments on your front sight post.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseytactical View Post
    Hi, all.

I finally got to fire my M4A3 at the state game range this weekend. Like a fool, I forgot the front sight post adjusting tool. Now, it's been awhile since I had to qualify for Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, so, I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas as for the best way sight in my rifle. As it stands, once I adjusted the rear sight windage knob 3 clicks to the right, I was hitting center mass, but 6 inches high. Any idea as to how many clicks I should adjust the front sight post?

Thanks!!!
    A Marine that has forgotten how to use his "Tool". Never thought i would come across a fellow Devil Dog that could do that..(Just bustin' your balls)
    SemperFi

(Northampton County)

Hi, all.

I finally got to fire my M4A3 at the state game range this weekend. Like a fool, I forgot the front sight post adjusting tool.
    8 million "fools" came before you.

(Montgomery County)

Hi, all.

Thanks!!!

At what distance were you shooting 6" high? If it was 100yds, i'd leave things alone. I site all my AR's for a 50yd zero. With a 50yd zero, you end up being 3-5" high at 100yds and back on target dead center at 200yds assuming you're using 55g m193 ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Karma8541 View Post
    A Marine that has forgotten how to use his "Tool". Never thought i would come across a fellow Devil Dog that could do that..(Just bustin' your balls)
    SemperFi
    Well, sometimes I need my balls busted. They didn't have M4's when I was in, believe it or not! I just don't remember the calculation of how many inches up or down measured in clicks on the front sight post actually was. No worries, I'm bringing it back to the range this weekend, and will definitely be hitting center mass on my improvised KD "qualification."
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor-2009,classes available.

Well, sometimes I need my balls busted. They didn't have M4's when I was in, believe it or not! I just don't remember the calculation of how many inches up or down measured in clicks on the front sight post actually was. No worries, I'm bringing it back to the range this weekend, and will definitely be hitting center mass on my improvised KD "qualification."
    M4's were not the thing when i was in either, lolol..But both have the same sights Devil lolol...Enjoy ur new "Toy".., And remember hit the black or Miss lol..

Semper FI

And u need to uproot ur ass outta PRNJ,Move west young man lol...Had to say it sorry bro...

Semper FI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast