Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default SB842 Castle Doctrine

Forgive me if this has already been addressed. Despite someone telling me in another thread that we already have Castle Doctrine in PA, I received this in my email today. I would assume that fellow NRA members did also. Please follow the link and contact the Senate Judiciary members and urge them to pass it. It would mean the end of the "duty to retreat" bit when facing a threat in your own home.

--------

Castle Doctrine Self-Defense Bill Introduced in the Keystone State!
    Please Contact the Members of the Senate Judiciary Committee Today!

State Senator Richard Alloway (R-33) has introduced critical self-defense reform legislation (Senate Bill 842) to protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners in Pennsylvania. This Castle Doctrine self-defense bill has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee.

SB842 would permit law-abiding citizens to use force, including deadly force, against an attacker in their homes and any places outside of their home where they have a legal right to be. It is clearly stated that there would be no “duty to retreat” from an attacker, allowing law-abiding citizens to stand their ground to protect themselves and their family. SB842 would also protect individuals from civil lawsuits by the attacker or the attacker’s family when force is used.

Please contact the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee TODAY and respectfully urge them to support SB842. Contact information for the committee can be found here:

]http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/cteeInfo/cteeInfo.cfm?cde=19&body=S[/URL]

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: SB842 Castle Doctrine

Sorry, having trouble figuring out the link thing. Cut and paste this in your web browser.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...?cde=19&body=S

During the 2A Rally on Tuesday April 21st, we spent some time trying to get to talk with one of the House Judiciary representatives. apparently the House version of this bill is tied up in that committee. We also got to talk to my Senator (Lisa Boscola, D)'s Chief of Staff. He assured me that she would sign on. i followed the link to the text of the bill Senate Bill (SB842)

http://tinyurl.com/cvr9wg

and found she was indeed a co-sponsor. i think what is going on is, since the House version is tied up in committee, they are advancing a Senate version to force the issue.

as an aside, whenever you are trying to email or post a long web link, go to

www.tinyurl.com

and use that page to make it tiny first. a lot of email programs and sites will mess up long links and make them unusable.

(Bucks County)

I posted this over in the news section too, figured it was important for everyone to read. Anybody want to take guesses at how this bill will fair? I can't see Rendell signing on.

Dan

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by dsh82 View Post
    I posted this over in the news section too, figured it was important for everyone to read. Anybody want to take guesses at how this bill will fair? I can't see Rendell signing on.

Dan
    Hopefully he signs on and this thing finally gets passed. It's time to finally get it done.

After reading through the bill, it seems like if it gets passed, you'll no longer have a duty to retreat in public.

It also covers your car. is this correct? I can't understand some of the wordings, its confusing.

(2.3) An actor who is not engaged in a criminal activity
    and who is attacked in any place where the actor has a right
    to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his
    ground and use protective force, including deadly force, if
    the actor believes it is immediately necessary to do so to
    protect himself against death, serious bodily injury,
    kidnapping or sexual intercourse by force or threat.
    Last edited by The Unknown 1087; May 7th, 2009 at 12:49 AM.

(Beaver County)

Talking Re: SB842 Castle Doctrine

I agree with the Rendell comment. I dont need to say what a creep that guy is on so many levels. But I digress.. ;-)

I just got my NRA email today about this bill and posted the info on my site. I will be writing my letters this week. BTW, does anyone here know if those cards the NRA-ILA sent out that are supposed to got the PA reps actually make it there? Something in the back of my mind wonders because they are always asking for donations weekly. I feel better writing and calling personally.

http://www.TheSadTruthIs.com
    Stop by.. Lots of good stuff..

(Berks County)

We need this to pass. I don't have a lot of faith in Fast Eddie though.

(Northampton County)

Are you guys crazy! It'll be "Blood in the streets".

But seriously, it's about time we stop being told that we have to be cowards.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Bucks County)

SB842 would also protect individuals from civil lawsuits by the attacker or the attacker’s family when force is used.

This is the most important part of the legislation in my opinion. I hope this finally passes.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GordonStands View Post
    . . . any places outside of their home where they have a legal right to be. It is clearly stated that there would be no “duty to retreat” from an attacker, allowing law-abiding citizens to stand their ground to protect themselves and their family. SB842 would also protect individuals from civil lawsuits by the attacker or the attacker’s family when force is used.
    We have a "castle doctrine" to some degree. This is stand your ground. Who cares what they call it.

A lot of folks say it would allow drug gang types to "get away with" defending their lives from other drug gang types. Is that a problem? So we all should roll over and die if attacked because some gang members might "get away with" exterminating each other?

On a more serious level, even gang bangers have the right to defend themselves from other criminals. If one gang member attempts to murder another, the defender should still have the right to defend. In terms of sorting it all out, that's why we have courts, judges and juries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast