Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Would allowing licensed college students to carry firearms increase campus violence?

Voters
237. You may not vote on this poll
  • No Way! it would decrease violence, & on community & state college campuses would fit state law!

157 66.24%
  • No. It wouldn't make much difference unless a dramatic situation like the VTech massacre happened

48 20.25%
  • Probably not. Let's look at the example Utah sets and make an informed decision on the matter.

31 13.08%
  • Of Course! More Guns = MORE violence, end of story.

5 2.11%
  • What's a gun?

7 2.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Angry Community College of Allegheny County using YOUR tax dollars to violate MY rights!

First, some basics about community college funding:

FTE is the student seat time measure by which community colleges are given their budget. It stands for Full Time Equivalent; and allows community colleges to request funding reserved for full time students (including federal funds) by combining the courses taken by part time students, adding courses taken by students attending more than the minimum # of credits considered FT, dividing that by the lowest attendance equivalent to a FT schedule, and requesting money for a head count that isn't actually there. Sounds devious already, right? Well in Pennsylvania FTEs are fully funded without a cap, creating powerful incentive to enroll as many students in the most courses possible. Funds from these FTEs go into the general fund, not directly to the continuing education programs. While open-ended funding for noncredit courses is wonderful for the continuing education programs, it presents some problems for the state legislature struggling with the budget. According to CCAC's website In ’03-’04, CCAC spent $77 million (of YOUR tax dollars) to support 15,000 Full Time Equivalent (FTE) students---a cost of $5,133 per FTE. And according to Pgh Trib CCAC is EXPANDING its tuition free offerings, despite the state's urgent need for budget reform.

Please also note that community colleges are considered to be state property. A state can sell a community college building, and (in theory but patently not in practice) any activity which is legal on state property cannot be prohibited on community college (or state college) grounds.

On to the part about my civil liberties being violated.... (for more details visit my forum at CCAC's SCCC and look under "a series of unfortunate events")

Last week I came home to a blinking light on my answering machine, it played a message from my former math teacher Mrs. Jean Snider - who also works in the office of student development.

As a side note I would like to add that, prior to her class,
    since around 3rd grade, I had never once left a single math
    lesson feeling as though I had learned much. Not only was she
    a great instructor, she genuinely cares about her students,
    and is a remarkable woman. If action has been taken against
    her because of this unfortunate business then I deeply
    and sincerely regret her involvement.

Mrs. Snider told me that I needed to speak with the Dean, ASAP, regarding the informational pamphlets I had been handing out on school property. I asked her if I was in trouble and she assured me that I was not, that this sort of meeting happens all the time, and that there were just a few things the Dean of Student Development was required to explain to me in person. I considered bringing a tape recorder to the meeting, but my faith in Mrs. Snider was such that I set aside this paranoia and refrained from doing so.

I was not mentally prepared for the interrogation, flagrant abuse of power, lies, and violation of my civil rights which took place during that meeting, and was in tears before they allowed me to leave.

As soon as I got home I sent an e-mail to Adam Kissel of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, a reputable organization whose mission statement is to defend and sustain individual rights at America's colleges and universities. the FIRE! Adam had already contacted me, given me advice, and opened a case for me when I contacted the FIRE after my first encounter with a CCAC employee in "the cougar's den" as described in Pt. 1 of this series of unfortunate events.

Mr. Kissell responded to my email within minutes; asking me to call him immediately. He was very concerned. He told me that during this meeting my rights had been violated in many serious ways. He advised me to write another e-mail similar to the one he'd just read, describing the meeting, to make it as concise as possible and to end the message with an invitation to respond with any corrections within three days. This would give similar credibility to my story as having recorded it, even if they chose not to respond. I will reply to this post with that e-mail, due to its length.

(Allegheny County)

Exclamation Re: Community College of Allegheny County using YOUR tax dollars to violate MY rights

The E-mail AKA the play by play of my rights being violated:

Dear Deans Burns & Snider,

My name is Christa B***. I met with you in the office of Student Development at around 1:30 today and would like to ensure that I have the facts straight.

I received a message and returned a call to Dean Snider, whom I hold in the utmost regard from being an excellent pre-algebra teacher last semester. The content of this call was that the Dean's office would like to speak to me about fliers I had been distributing. I specifically asked if I was in any "trouble" and was told that I wasn't, but that certain rules needed to be officially explained to me.

When I came to the office I waited about 20 minutes before being called, by my nickname (Christa) usually only used by my friends, by Dean Burns (whom I had never met before) into an office where both Dean Burns and Dean Snider spoke to me.

Earlier this semester, in an attempt to find members/officers to complete my application for recognition as a student organization for SCCC, I created a full color tri-fold brochure and matching stickers at my own expense. I handed these out personally to students with whom I had opened discussion about the topic of concealed carry on campus, under the impression that this was not in violation of student conduct.

During today's meeting you alerted me to your opinion that I have violated student conduct. You both insisted that passing out these pamphlets is solicitation, which is not allowed on campus. I retorted that it was not solicitation due to the fact that I am not attempting to "sell" anything, and you answered that it was solicitation because I was trying to sell people on the idea of this organization. I answered that getting people to register to vote, or sign a petition would not be solicitation and you told me that this would also not be allowed on campus but only out on the street in front of the campus. I argued that army recruiters run rampant throughout the college giving out pamphlets and other material. You said that they have either gotten permission from the administration to do so or else, when discovered, are asked to leave.

You also told me that having the name of your school on anything which the administration has not recognized and endorsed is illegal - that "Community College of Allegheny Campus" must be removed from everything not created by the college; and you specifically insisted that I must destroy every copy of this pamphlet, or other related information, in my possession or anywhere else that I may know of. You asked me how many copies of the pamphlet I had made, and I answered that honestly I did not know. You highlighted the name of the college on the copy of the pamphlet in your possession and placed it in a manilla folder. (I would like to know what that folder was) I was told that literature of any kind passed out to students must be approved by the college administration, and that content of this nature (presumably regarding firearms, but certainly anything bearing the name of the college which was not created by the college) would not be approved.

When asked why I was distributing these pamphlets I answered that I simply wanted an open forum for discussion and debate on this topic (the right to carry a concealed firearm on campus) to which Dean Burns replied "You may want to discuss this topic but the college does not, and you cannot make us." When asked if I knew how serious this was I replied "Very serious, it is one of the most important issues to me."

I was questioned on how I came to learn of this group (Students for Concealed Carry on Campus), what my intent was, and why I had not shown the flier to the administration for approval before handing them out. I explained that I had already known about SCCC for some time and met other Campus Leaders for other colleges in the area and that when I enrolled as a student I went to their website (Dean Burns asked me who and I replied the SCCC website at concealedcampus.org) to join CCAC's SCCC club only to find that there was not one, after which I signed up to be the Campus Leader to try to start one. My intent is to spread information; I specified that I absolutely did not intend to break any campus rules/policies or laws of any kind. I had not shown the flier to administration because I did not believe it was necessary to do so unless I was trying to have it placed on a bulletin board or in a public area. I also informed you that I had shown the flier to SCCC's state coordinator/the University of Pittsburgh's Campus Leader (Sam Gupta) who not only approved it but requested a copy, with my information removed and his in place of it, so that he could distribute it as well.

Dean Burns pointed to a picture in the flyer of a student holding a gun and asked me who it was. I answered that it was a picture found on the internet of a University of Utah student with her firearm in her dorm room, since they have recently changed the laws in Utah to allow concealed carry on campus - I thought this was a positive example of a University following state law which allows concealed carry on state property.

I was then questioned as to whether or not I own a licensed firearm, to which I responded that I do and that I have a CCW issued by the state of Pennsylvania. When asked if I had ever brought it (the gun) to school, I replied that of course I had not as that was against state law and school policy. I was then asked if I carry concealed when not at college, I said that I sometimes do. The seriousness of the consequences should I ever carry it onto school property was stressed and reiterated. I told you, again, that I am not trying to break rules, I am trying to open discussion to think about changing the rules. You asked me if I disagreed with school policy, I said that I did; at least to the point where I wanted to be able to discuss these things freely with other students, faculty, parents, etc. In response to which I was told to stop doing so without the permission of the administration.

Dean Burns said "We have over 4,000 students, it would be a disaster to allow them to have guns, do you understand how serious this is?" and asked "Have you ever considered alternate means of self defense?" to which I replied that I had taken years of martial arts which could not protect me against an armed assailant.

I was told to cease all activities related to this (my involvement with SCCC on CCAC campus) because of the gravity of the situation, that "academic misconduct" of this nature would not be tolerated, and that as long as I had an understanding of that I could leave - which was the end of the meeting. I hope you will not take this e-mail confirmation as evidence of further misconduct, I am simply trying to get the facts straight.

Do I have this correct? If not, please feel free to reply with any corrections you may have. If I receive no reply within 3 days I will assume that my account of this meeting is accurate and that you do not disagree or have further input on the matter.

Thank you,

Christa B*****

This could have been written better, but I was emotionally distraught as I wrote it. I left out some of Dean Burns' more extreme sentiments. I did so because, though able to bring me to tears over the possibility that I had thrown my future in the garbage over trying to educate the public, they were generally irrelevant to the violation of my rights. A person with authority can throw their weight around and speak harshly as much as they like - this is a free country.

After sending this to both women I forwarded a copy to Mr. Kissel with the words "I hope this will do. Would it be a good idea to post about this on my forum, and maybe the PAFOA forum?" (which was my brother's idea, when I called him nearly in tears with distress while writing the above e-mail)

Mr. Kissell replied that my letter was excellent, but thought that I should wait until posting it publicly.
    It is better for the first strong response to come from FIRE, where we can specifically lay out all of the violations of your rights. A barrage of angry e-mails from others will help as well, but these should come afterward. This is because in addition to the thoughtful responses that people will send, there are usually people who exaggerate and make unsound arguments or just call names, which makes it easier to dismiss the thoughtful critics.
    I sincerely hope that no one finds this simple truth insulting, as it was some of the most thoughtful and correct advice I've ever seen.

I am indebted to Mr. Kissell and the FIRE who re-invigorated my dwindling belief in humanity, civil liberties, and the idea that conscientious intelligent gentlemen (and women) will come to the aid of a single person being abused by an authority figure - even when the person in need of help is flat broke, lol. He believed in me, and was actually grateful that *I* was willing to stand up for MY OWN rights and let the FIRE help. Amazing!

Default Re: Community College of Allegheny County using YOUR tax dollars to violate MY rights

is there a school policy for distrubiting information on campus and if so is it written out anywhere?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Community College of Allegheny County using YOUR tax dollars to violate MY rights

It is better for the first strong response to come from FIRE, where we can specifically lay out all of the violations of your rights. A barrage of angry e-mails from others will help as well, but these should come afterward. This is because in addition to the thoughtful responses that people will send, there are usually people who exaggerate and make unsound arguments or just call names, which makes it easier to dismiss the thoughtful critics.
    Ain't that the truth.

Anyhow, did the FIRE folks tell you it was time to go public with this? I'm keen to know more, but I wouldn't want you to reveal anything that might hurt your case.

(Armstrong County)

Well done and be strong.
    Higher education doesn't mean the administrators or professors are educated.
    Usually quite the opposite. Colleges and universities used to be places where the open exchange of ideas are encouraged but they have not been that way since the 60's or 70's. Now they are nothing more than indoctrination camps that you pay for. Professors are the most cloistered humans there are because they are not required to have real world experience.

One suggestion is if you have to go through it again DO NOT let the emotion out in front of them as that will only embolden them to do it again.

Well done and keep us posted

For the legal minds!!
    Since community colleges are considered to be state property, then they have to abide by the PA Code and UFA on firearm restrictions i.e.: preemption correct?

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
    Ed Stephan
    Last edited by edstephan; May 2nd, 2009 at 01:43 AM.
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

(Allegheny County)

When the 3 day time limit expired Mr. Kissel drafted a fantastic document, citing legal precedent, and even examining the colleges own regulations, which was sent to the president of the school and several others. I will ask his permission before copying it here.

It was only AFTER this document had been received by CCAC that my e-mail was answered. In what I may be emotionally misconstruing as an attempt to pour salt on a wound Yvonne Burns sent the following message:

Christa,

We are in receipt of your email.

Yvonne Burns,
    Dean of Student Development
    CCAC—Allegheny Campus
    (412) 237-2520
    yburns@ccac.edu

More Contact Info for CCAC (not that I'm suggesting anything...)

Alex Johnson - President
    Bonita L. Richardson
    Assistant to the President for Board Relations and Policy
    109 Byers Hall
    brichardson@ccac.edu

Board of Trustees

CCAC Educational Foundation
    808 Ridge Avenue
    Byers Hall - Room 102
    Pittsburgh, PA 15212
    Phone: 412.237.6514
    Fax: 412.237.6559

Thomas J. Santone, JD
    Chair–CCAC Board of Trustees
    Member–Finance, Facilities and Property Committee

Candice P. Mill, President of the Board
    Senior Vice President & Chief Operating Officer - Pittsburgh
    Health & Benefits
    Aon Consulting, Inc.

Angela J. Longo, Chair of the Board
    Vice President, Public Affairs and Charitable Giving Manager
    National City Bank of Pennsylvania

Timothy W. Merrill, Jr., Vice President of the Board
    General Manager
    NRG Energy Center Pittsburgh

Lawrence V. Gleason, Treasurer
    Wealth Management Advisor
    Merrill Lynch

Terry Fedele, Secretary

Michael S. Adamcyk, Immediate Past President
    Senior Manager, Global Retirement Plans
    H.J. Heinz Company

Each year, the honorees are recognized at the Illumination of Legends in Leadership gala. For more information on the Illumination of Legends in Leadership program, please call 412.237.6514 (I'm sure that with a board of directors including administration from Merril Lynch, H.J Heinz, and National City Bank CCAC is not having any difficulty funding its gala whereas I have sent out at least 30 e-mail inquiries about assistance for an SCCC organized 2nd Amendment Rights Gala event that I am planning in conjunction with other Campus Leaders from Colleges around Pittsburgh and gotten a reply that the 2nd Amendment Sisters, Inc. would join us, and a second that the JPFO will donate books and DVD's which can be used as prizes. It is apparently frowned upon, or when approved of not worth investing in, to be a young adult who supports the right to bear arms.)

I just want the ability to protect myself that the law entitles me to. Now, without even gaining ground on that issue, I have also had my Freedoms of Speech, Assembly, and the 5th amendment right to refrain from incriminating yourself infringed as well!

- Christa

(Berks County)

Does anyone know of an instance where a student / visitor was charged for carrying a firearm on any campus? As I understand, there are academic penalties, but as far as crimes code what could / would somebody be charged with?.... (besides disorderly conduct) assuming possession was the only "crime" committed.

Quote Originally Posted by avestriel View Post
    It was only AFTER this document had been received by CCAC that my e-mail was answered. In what I may be emotionally misconstruing as an attempt to pour salt on a wound Yvonne Burns sent the following message:

Christa,

We are in receipt of your email.
    Just a formal acknowledgment that they received and read your document. The fact that they didn't make any additions or corrections, as requested by you, might help you out when it comes down to it.

That, and she was probably told to keep her damn mouth shut once they received that correspondence from FIRE. Legal noises tend to get their attention, even asshats like that. Breaking down and crying in her office could have actually helped, because she may have thought she "won" and wasn't prepared to hear from anyone like FIRE. But, that's merely my perspective as an armchair quarterback.

Keep pushing back, let us know how it goes.

ETA -- As for your concerns about involving Mrs. Snider, she can reap her own rewards for her involvement in this, even if she was "only doing her job". She might be a "nice lady" but your account doesn't sound like she helped you out much. Unfortunately, that's my "scorched earth" approach when people piss me off.
    Last edited by Halftrack; May 2nd, 2009 at 08:50 AM.
    The real answer is 42.

(Allegheny County)

we are here with ya to fight the good fight !

for anyone who doesnt know, Christa is my sister

(Allegheny County)

I came across this article last night and think that it is very relevant to this matter. It is the idea that while trying to protect our second amendment rights our first amendmant ones are getting trampled.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/o...y/1009452.html

Crista, if there's anything I can do let me know.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast