Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radar Guns

(Allegheny County)

Default Radar Guns

Anyone have any experience with the Bushnell Radar guns? We have issues with speeders on our street ( I think they are driving to fast) and I was considering getting something. The bushnell guns are approx $85 and the reviews were more good than bad that I have seen. I'm going to attempt to rally the neighbors to petition the borough to make our street one way and I figured the more ammunition the better.

Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Radar Guns

what part of the city?
    "Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'" -unknown

(York County)

If I'm correct, the PSP doesn't let (?) any police department in PA EXCEPT themselves to use RADAR, that's why VASCAR is used by local municipalities.
    C.R.

(The Invisible Poster)

(Centre County)

I have one and it works well. I've been thinking about standing on the curb, wearing all black 5.11 gear, and pointing it at cars to see how fast they're going as they speed by my house, and how fast they slam on the brakes once they see me.

(Lebanon County)

Cool Re: Radar Guns

Just grab a hairdryer and stand on the side of the street pointing it at he speeding car, they'll slow down!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
    I have one and it works well. I've been thinking about standing on the curb, wearing all black 5.11 gear, and pointing it at cars to see how fast they're going as they speed by my house, and how fast they slam on the brakes once they see me.
    I'd be really careful with that though. I remember years ago, a guy did that as well, but he sat on his porch, someone called the police saying he was pointing a gun at cars. I forget how it turned out.

I wish I could remember how long ago it was, but it's been awhile, late 90's i think.

Quote Originally Posted by LowFlyer View Post
    If I'm correct, the PSP doesn't let (?) any police department in PA EXCEPT themselves to use RADAR, that's why VASCAR is used by local municipalities.
    Nothing to keep a civilian from using one.

(Allegheny County)

Exactly what I was thinking, a citizen can use them. I'm just curious to see the actual speed of the vehicles which is why I asked if anyon had experience with them prior to spending $$ on one.

A little back ground..I'm in a westerly subburb of Pittsburgh. I live on a 2 way street where the streets on parallel on both sides are each one way. Vehilces traveling in the dirction toward the main road use our street as a shortcut because it eliminates a block of travel and also the need to stop at one additional stop sign. In our one block road, we have no less than 10 children on the street. I am in the process of trying to organize a meeting of residents so that we can get a petition together to see about having the street made one way. I want to have all my facts together so that when I present this to Council I might actually be able to see some results. I have aready been told that prior to having the speed limit reduced from 25 to 15 of having the street made one way a traffic study would need to be performed at a cost of $2-$3 thousand.

You would be correct, however he isn't a police department...

(Westmoreland County)

actually, they can use them all they want, they just can't write tickets from them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast