Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Exclamation After shooting, Went home and counted my toes

I have had a heck of a time convincing my GF that she needs to get some practice in at the shooting range. It’s not that she doesn’t want to; she’s willing to go along. We have a busy schedule and it just seems to take a back seat to other things. So I finally got her to go last Thursday night.

I have been going to the public ranges for years but have seen some things go down that make me feel like joining a private club. For starters I live in York County. For years I went to the public range at Indian Rock dam, until I had so many encounters with fools and idiots that I stopped going there. Subsequently, surprise- the range there was shut down. I don’t know it for a fact, but I’d bet money it was from misuse, abuse or criminal conduct occurring there.

So for years I didn’t shoot much or at all, once in a while going to acquaintances properties to shoot or the public range near Dillsburg, PA. Yet I find strange stuff happening there too.

So my GF and me are at the SGL range shooting the pistol course. At first nobody’s there. She’s the noob, I’m the instructor- so we commence our practice. So I give her the run down on the basic rules of shooting, the range rules, we cover proper stance, BRASS and trigger control. We’re shooting 9mm semi, 38 and 22 lr revolvers. She takes some volleys - and I shoot and have her watch what I’m doing.

Soon, more people start rolling up. In particular this guy and his 12 yo kid. At first they start shooting the middle distance, about 20-25 yard as we are using the 2 short lanes. Then more people show up. So, we move over, and let the guy and his kid use one of the short lanes. In addition to them are 2 guys attempting to shoot a black powder pistol with limited success (maybe wet powder or bad primers) and 2 guys who commence to blast away with no regard to the 5 round rule. Not that I’m a stickler for the rules, but I’m training a novice.

I guess I’m squeamish or something because when I pick up a firearm, I handle it with reverence and a little fear of what could go wrong.

So the guy is what Classy Freddy Blassie, from the WWF of the 80’s, would call a “pencil neck geek.” The whole time the guy and kid are shooting, the kid commences firing at will while the guy attempts to give him pointers between his own shots. Then they move over beside us, he shows the kid the “teacup grip” and tells him this is how he should shoot the 22 semi he’s got. He was doing just fine up to then. While not watching his kid, the guy’s asking what I shoot and if I want any 40 cal ammo. He says he bought and tried a 40 cal and returned it, but they wouldn’t take back the ammo. Go figure. Then after we take a volley, the guy who’s shooting a snub nose 357, grips up on his weapon using his patented teacup grip with his finger on the trigger proceeds to discharge the gun into the dirt immediately in front of the firing line.

There’s no big reaction from them. I was thinking- when you shoot, does this happen all the time? You really can’t review firearm safety enough, even if you think you know what you’re doing. It only takes a second of carelessness for a tragedy to occur. So we politely wrapped up our shoot and left, thanking the Grand Poobah we didn’t take a hit.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything. -Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

“One man with a gun can control 100 without one. ” -Vladamir Lenin, Founder Communist Party USSR ... I hate to quote a commie, but when they ban your gun, you'll know who gave them the idea.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: After shooting, Went home and counted my toes

It's good to know I'm not the only one who encounters "untrained to the point of being dangerous" gun owners at public ranges exercising their constitutional rights.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    It's good to know I'm not the only one who encounters "untrained to the point of being dangerous" gun owners at public ranges exercising their constitutional rights.
    You're not the only one thats for sure. I've just up and left more than once from the Scotia range just because I felt that my I was risking injury or worse just being around a few of "those" people...

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

WOW, what a story!. I also heard that one guy checks to see if the gun was loaded or not by looking down the barrel! he he he...........seriously, just kidding...

I would wrap up and leave too if I see this kind of carelessness happens at the range.

1FingrCHan

Wow, man, Don't you hate irresponsible people with guns?

Reminds me of something my dad did. I made the mistake of teaching him that a 22lr is one of the least powerful rounds out there. He took that as "its not very dangerous". So, I hear a shot one night at about midnight. I run in there, and he was "checking the chamber". I don't allow him to have my 22lr in his bedroom any longer!

(Allegheny County)

Let's just hope someone learns from the mistakes.

Don't be that guy!

(Berks County)

There’s no big reaction from them. I was thinking- when you shoot, does this happen all the time?
    Not very often, but I have seen some doozies over the years.

When I see bad behavior it is hard to intervene, you never know how folks will take advice. It usually is with kids...sometimes husband and wife or guy and his girlfriend.

I have with a similar situation (It was a Man and GF or wife) said "hey nice shot" as an ice breaker....then slowly integrated myself into talking to them (not talking down to them) and giving some tips etc.... Worked out well....had her shooting my .38 and .22, he had a hand cannon (think it was a .44 wheelgun, not sure) that was entirely to big for her.

I wound up being able to give some constructive critisism and hopefully helped.

Yes I am the guy at the range who if given a chance will talk to you...
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Chester County)

I have a rule when shooting. By myself or with people. If I see something not safe I pull back and observ. If they dont pack it in I do. simple as that.

(Westmoreland County)

phillyd2 and NineseveN,

I'm dying to but I won't.

(Allegheny County)

Everytime I've taken a first time shooter to the range I NEVER EVER shoot when they are shooting. Either they are shooting and I'm giving them my full attention, or I'm shooting that they are watching me.

-See it
    -Do it
    -See it
    -Do it

That's is how I was taught, and it works!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast