Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Census Bureau Utilizing GPS to Find American Homes?

So, along the same lines as my post on the Illegal Immigrant getting the snot beaten out of him and receiving a $4M settlement, I give you another little nugget of a story to think about. Complex situations like these tend to lead to great discussion.

I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on the 2010 Census including GPS positioning to the coordinates of your front door. Discuss. If this isn't "National Political," please move it for me mods

From 2006:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5590541

From 3 weeks ago:

http://gps.about.com/b/2009/04/06/us...rhoods-now.htm

Yesterday:

http://www.thedailyjournal.com/artic...WS01/904300350

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Census Bureau Utilizing GPS to Find American Homes?

GPS...map...list... Doesn't really matter how they get here. I'll have the same response for them when they knock

Last edited by Pa. Patriot; April 30th, 2009 at 09:19 PM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    GPS...map...list... Doesn't really matter how they get here. I'll have the same response for them when they knock
    Oh, I agree. Your response is THE response to give. However, I was hoping to see this thread take off in a slightly different direction.

Without forcing a slippery slope discussion at the sake of getting pegged as a Right Wing "E"-word....

One of the great things about this community is that we have a wide spectrum of opinion towards government in regards to interference with our constitutional rights. One could possibly interpret this as simplifying the means to locate you by "someone unfamiliar with your geographic area."

Trying to be vague here as I really am not educated (or paranoid, dare I say) enough to have a position worth attempting to share.

It's like the church lady. I provide a topic, you discuss amongst yourselves as I lurk

It is interesting that some folks are so adamant about supporting one part of the Constitution, and so adamant about defying another part of it. Thomas Jefferson thought it was important, all of a sudden the Census is evil?

Oh, and for now we aren't using GPS... we are out walking as much of the country as we can. The GPS will be used for the actual census, which doesn't begin until 2010, so it can be done as thoroughly as the founding fathers wanted.
    Last edited by JoeWilliams; April 30th, 2009 at 09:16 PM.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    It is interesting that some folks are so adamant about supporting one part of the Constitution, and so adamant about defying another part of it. Thomas Jefferson thought it was important, all of a sudden the Census is evil?
    I tend to agree. The GPS thing is somewhat meaningless to me, but perhaps less so for others. What I don't agree with (along the lines of PA Patriot's reply) are the additional fluff questions.

I've seen this topic cause uproar on other non-firearms forums so I decided to throw it out there in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Burton View Post
    I tend to agree. The GPS thing is somewhat meaningless to me, but perhaps less so for others. What I don't agree with (along the lines of PA Patriot's reply) are the additional fluff questions.

I've seen this topic cause uproar on other non-firearms forums so I decided to throw it out there in this community.
    I didn't answer the fluff questions last time, I won't this time either. No one showed up to arrest me, and the phone call was "if that was any of the government's business, I would have answered on the survey, not meaning to be rude to you."

Easy stuff. No black helicopters, no FEMA coming to take us to the camps... though at least one person has threatened to shoot a girl in the field this week cause he was worried about that. Assaulting federal employees... not smart, threatening to shoot some unarmed girl? Pussy.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

GPS has been in use for property location and ID since the late 1990's. I was a supervisor for Transamerica Real Estate Services and we used the "centroid" system starting about 1996..... and you would be surprised how accurate it is.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post

Oh, and for now we aren't using GPS... we are out walking as much of the country as we can. The GPS will be used for the actual census, which doesn't begin until 2010, so it can be done as thoroughly as the founding fathers wanted.
    Please show me, in the Constitution, where it says I must enable the census, personally.

Please show me where, in the Constitution, that it says the government being required to cunduct a census count requires me to relinquish my other rights, as enumerated int he BOR and elsewhere, by answering any .gov survey.

I'm fine with your disagreeing with me. But your attempt to paint people like me as some sort of miscreants "defying the Constitution" is, well, honestly it's pretty lame.

Show me where I am "defying" the Constitution. Which is not even possible as I am not the gov and the gov is what the Constitution establishes a "business plan" for

Please explain to me how my concern over the importance of certain civil liberties, such as my right to privacy, is now contradictory with the Constitutional edict that the .gov "conduct" a census count.

IOW, why should I have to participate. I treat census workers the same as any other agent of the .gov or a LEO .gov agent. You want info on me? You find it. In my opinion, I am not compelled to provide it against my rights and my best interest.

Until then, I will remain mute and content in doing it. Feel free to do whatever you please. Including giving personal info to the .gov I however will not ignore past abuses of census data and will gladly pay the $100 fine imposed by the unconstitutional US code to protect my privacy... If they ever become competent enough to colloect it from me So far, they have not.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Well if their GPS is as good as mine then im safe, Mine always puts me 3 miles away from where i want to be lolol..

(Clearfield County)

For what it is worth seems that this is where the census was "born"

US Constitution
    Article 1
    Section 2

The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every second Year by the People of the several States, and the Electors in each State shall have the Qualifications requisite for Electors of the most numerous Branch of the State Legislature.

No Person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen.

Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct. The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every thirty Thousand, but each State shall have at Least one Representative; and until such enumeration shall be made, the State of New Hampshire shall be entitled to chuse three, Massachusetts eight, Rhode Island and Providence Plantations one, Connecticut five, New York six, New Jersey four, Pensylvania eight, Delaware one, Maryland six, Virginia ten, North Carolina five, South Carolina five, and Georgia three.

When vacancies happen in the Representation from any State, the Executive Authority thereof shall issue Writs of Election to fill such Vacancies.

The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast