Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Range Report- SIG P229

Despite the weather my friend Flash picked me up this morning ready to burn some powder. Their is another thread that details the tests that Flash wished to perform and as he's got the information on that I'll let him make the post. The results of the pocket gun test were very interesting all around.

A friend of Flash joined us and was talking about some pistol training he'd taken. He shot one volley through my P229 and did a very tight group, dead center. I did a volley and it was pretty poor, wide spread, although consistent in it's inaccuracy. He gave me a few pointers and I was shooting the best I'd ever shot in my entire life! Basically I modified my grip, my stance, my trigger pull, my draw and my followup ;-), lo and behold I start hitting targets! It's very gratifying when you've begun to realize the potential of a nice weapon and when you start developing the skills to build up to that potential.

We changed my stance into "less-Weaver, more isosceles". Arms extended in front, feet apart shoulder width or more, toes towards target, knees bent, leaning forward slightly. I also angled my supporting hand forward and lined my weak thumb down the frame rather than crossing my strong thumb. The combination of these two basic modifications allowed me to shoot the .357SIG with tolerable recoil, which in turn decreased flinch!

He also demonstrated a technique for mag changes in which the index finger of the weak hand, as it draws the magazine, rests directly over the bullet of the first cartridge in the gun. It's much easier to guide into place and you can either flick off an improperly seated round or slide it home. I'm going to spend some dry-fire time tonight working on my draw and my mag changes.

We did the "SAS Drill"; two shots standing, two kneeling, two prone *reload*, two prone, two supine, two kneeling. Interesting, I hit the target each time.

I also shot a Beretta 9mm, a SIGMA in 9mm and .40S&W, two 9mm S&W semi-automatics, a Glock 19, a number of wheel-guns to include a King Cobra, a "pinned, no dash" K frame S&W, and two very small KelTec pocket guns that barked louder than almost all the others.

All in all, a fantastic day at the range! I'm very happy with my sidearm and with my decision to get the .357SIG over the .40S&W. My holster performed well as did my mag pouch. The sidearm was cleaned as soon as I returned home.

End result;

I am even more in love with pistol shooting.

Pictures and movie to come.....

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Talking Re: Range Report- SIG P229

Quote Originally Posted by thatJeffguy View Post
    Despite the weather my friend Flash picked me up this morning ready to burn some powder.

(snipped)

We did the "SAS Drill"; two shots standing, two kneeling, two prone *reload*, two prone, two supine, two kneeling. Interesting, I hit the target each time.

Yeah, showoff. Yer first shot was COM, and the followup was a "headshot" on each position, and the final result just chewed the center out of the head - now I'll have to buy a new target.

Flash

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Range Report- SIG P229

Glad you are happy with your Sig and it performed the way it should have. The more you shoot it, the more you'll like it.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Franklin County)

I'm not sure I could love my SIG any more than I do now ;-) It's so gratifying being able to make the holes appear where you want them to.

Now to go shooting with my friends and impress them ! :-)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by thatJeffguy View Post
    I'm not sure I could love my SIG any more than I do now ;-) It's so gratifying being able to make the holes appear where you want them to.

Now to go shooting with my friends and impress them ! :-)
    I shoot my Sigs better than any of the other brand guns that I own. They just fit me perfectly.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad