Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Told to leave for OC

I have been OC/CC since I have turned 21 and for a year up until now I have had no problems other than the funny looks or asked "Is that a real gun?" or "why do you carry that?". On sunday was my one friend's birthday so a few of us decided to go bowling for a small celebration. We were there for about three hours with no problem, at first the people next to us looked kept giving me strange looks but went back to bowling I guess when they decided my pistol was not gonna jump up and shoot every one. Anyway about 3 hours later as we were finishing up our last game an employee comes over and asks me "So are you some kind of police officer?" I responded "No sir". He said "Then you need to take that to your truck or get the hell out of here." At this point it was our last game and I was on my last frame anyway so I said in a friendly manner "We are on our last frame anyway may I finish the game?" He said I could (Now what prevented me from walking out right there is at Northland bowl they take your Id in order to rent the lane so I needed to get that anyway before I left so if I have to pay anyway for the game I was gonna finish it if I was allowed). After that we left and the funny thing is my friend who does not like guns at all was more pissed off than I was about it. She thought it was rediculous after not bothering anyone for 3 hours of bowling they decided then to kick me out. The only thing that surprised me was the hostility I received from the employee as soon as I answered that I was not a police officer. He was basically in my face telling me to get the hell out, obviously I was not a threat to him. Would it have been reasonable to ask why? Or should I have just did what I did and complied without even questioning their policy?

(Perry County)

Default Re: Told to leave for OC

Bowling alley is private property. They make the rules. You did the right thing.

(Luzerne County)

The ones who are hostile when ordering you to leave are the ones I suggest, “You might want to put up a sign on your entrance if all the employees are incapable of being respectful when asking a patron to leave. Have a nice morning/day/afternoon/evening/night/trip to Hell (depending on time/mood)!”

Asking me to leave is fine. Being a dickwad is not (despite their right to be one).

(Centre County)

1shot1kill:

I live out of town by about 25 minutes but work in town and I am familiar w/ the Northland Bowl. I happen to work with a fellow who moonlights at the lanes. I will ask him about this the next time i see him and let him read the posts. He is not Mgt. but he is well respected in the building, if i am to believe him.

I am curious if there is actually a policy. Sorry you had such a crappy fool that you had to deal with. You seemed to handle the situation with aplomb. I hope when I start to OC I will be as tactful.

(Bucks County)

"Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a shit about the rules? Mark it zero!"

The Big Lebowski

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

-Zach

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a shit about the rules? Mark it zero!"

The Big Lebowski

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

-Zach
    "This isnt Nam. There are rules."

What you need to do at this point is have a very polite conversation with the owner or manager of the place. While the employee may have had the right to throw you out, he may not have. But in either case, I would wager the manager, and especially the owner, does not want people being treated the way you were with the language and attitude. It is never a good idea to chase away customers, but in this business climate, it is suicide. And while your own attitude towards going in there unarmed has not been ascertained, at the very least the guy managed to offend a larger group of people. And that is plain stupid. Even if he turns out to be the manager or the owner, it is still stupid, and he needs to have that pointed out to him. If he persists, walk in unarmed a week from now with receipts from a competitor and give them to him.

Quote Originally Posted by JCWohlschlag View Post
    The ones who are hostile when ordering you to leave are the ones I suggest, “You might want to put up a sign on your entrance if all the employees are incapable of being respectful when asking a patron to leave.
    Please NEVER do this - never ask or demand that stores POST against gun carry. If an agent of the owner tells you to leave, drop your business there and leave. Beet Feet. Move.

Don't put your gun in the car and come back. Don't protest to the manager. Don't demand they post.

(Montgomery County)

I would have questioned in a polite manner: Are you the person responsible for making this policy? If not, is that person here? If not, could I have his name and a time when I'd be able to speak to him?
    Once this responsible person was established I would tell them I was sorry for "breaking" their policy, even though I had no way of knowing it existed. And I didn't appreciate the hostility received for it. I'll take my business to the other bowling alley next time.

(Lebanon County)

I think you handled it fine as long as you knew that if he would have said no, you had to go right away that would have been that. It is a shame that after being there all that time you were approached it was with such hostility.

Funny about your anti friend. We never know what is going to start to turn them. Sounds like she can be unbrainwashed though. Have you offered to take her to the range?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast