Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Help with old rifle?

I was at my grandparents house yesterday in new york. I haven't been there in quite some time, since before I bought my first firearm. I had completely forgotten about the big rifle and bayonet hanging over the mantle.

I can tell just by looking at it, that it is pre-ww2, and likely ww1 era or older. It is bolt action. It looks very reminiscent of a civil war era rifle, just in bolt action. It appeared to be atleast 3 feet long. It appears from first glance to be in mint condition. The wood is a very dark, deep brown. I can remember it hanging there ever since I was a little boy. I couldn't get up there to take it down yesterday and inspect it.

ETA: Mother just confirmed it was a civil war rifle.

So my questions as follows:

1. Do any of you have a clue as to what this rifle might be given the attributes I've listed? I checked the butt and saw no numbers or markings. Atleast not viewable from my distance which was only a few feet away, maybe they were very small.

2. My grandfather passed away several years ago and I'm sure my grandmother would have no problem passing on this rifle to me. I would really love to take it out shooting some day. My question here is, what do we have to do to have the rifle in my possession from new york to PA?
    Last edited by jcabin; April 27th, 2009 at 12:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Help with old rifle?

Make sure shooting it won't ruin its value if it has any to a collector. I don't know what it is, but I'd hate to see you ruin your retirement account with a single shot.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    Make sure shooting it won't ruin its value if it has any to a collector. I don't know what it is, but I'd hate to see you ruin your retirement account with a single shot.
    Yeah. I don't plan on selling it, but being so old I don't even know if it would be wise to shoot in the first place.
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Jefferson County)

Bolt action? Civil War?

Most of the Civil War guns were front stuffers. There where 2 lever cartridge feeding guns too(Spencer and Henry). And the Sharps breech loading paper cartridge guns(M1863 and older).

(Monroe County)

We did have them in the civil war. Only a few thousand, but we had them.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    We did have them in the civil war. Only a few thousand, but we had them.

What make? There were very few boltguns before the 1870's, most were "needle guns" before the French, Swedes and German's got heavy into them for their armies.

When you get a chance, post some pics of it.. I should be able to tell you within a few seconds of seeing it whether it was a CW gun or later production.

(Jefferson County)

Just going on what I know of Civil War guns, and if it truly is one of the very few boltguns used - its probably a "Greene Rifle", a needle gun.

If it is truly a pre-1898 gun, you can have it shipped straight to your door step across state lines.

Being at work, this is the quickest image I could find of a Greene rifle for basis of comparison.

(Monroe County)

It looks very similar to that. I'm not understanding the difference between needle rifle and bolt rifle though, so I just grouped them in together.

(Jefferson County)

Sorry for the confusion, the Greene was an underhammer percussion. I confused myself with another bolt gun of the era that was entirely a needle gun, name starts with a "D". ...(damn job getting in my way of thinking about guns) lol

Needle guns use a needle to pierce a paper cartridge. Between the projectile and the powder is a cap/primer which the needle hits. The needle would resemble a long firing pin.

The Greene rifle like I had shown had a bolt which was the loading gate, then an underhammer and cap for ignition. You opened the bolt, shoved a paper cartridge in, closed the bolt, cocked the hammer below, then placed a cap..

Even though the bolt guns of the time period were breechloaders, they weren't much of an improvement over a front stuffer. Most were of a weaker design, thus only allowing a smaller powder charge.

I'd very much like to see a picture of your gun in question. Bolt guns of the era before the 1870's are extremely rare.

(Monroe County)

Alright I'll try and get a picture of it asap. Idk when I'll next be in NY. I'll try and have a relative with steady hands take it down and get some pictures in the next day or two and send them to my email. It very well could be a needle gun. My knowledge of firearms mechanics doesnt really go much further back than ww2. I simply saw the bolt and thought, bolt action.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast