Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default dragunov question (left hand)

Hey guys,

I am in the market for a dragunov clone [hopefully going to find one used, so if you know anyone ]

I am left handed though and it looks like there wont be any factor in the actual handle but the cheek rest looks like it could give some problems... I was wondering if anyone that had one, or shot one could give me some ideas if it is worth it or not, or causes any problems... I want the 7.62x54r version, and also was wondering if it could handle the military surplus rounds since it is a new clone?(the ones I have seem to have more kick in my mosin then the regular brown bear ones)

I can't seem to find any for sale at shops for me to try it out, so it looks like I will have to buy online without test fitting...

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: dragunov question (left hand)

Unfortunately for a Dragunov you're probably looking at learning to shoot right handed.

The charging handle flying at your face might not look like it will contact you but when the rifle is recoiling as well its a crapshoot, and a handle flying back from the 7.62x54R round will give you one hell of a bloody nose if not break it outright. I tend to advise people to avoid any gun where something solid and metal is flying back at you about to give you a major owie.

As far as the milsurp rounds, there should be no problem at all. These AK variants were designed to handle lots of abuse so running milsurp rounds through a milsurp weapon wont give you any issues.

EDIT: Not to mention I'm pretty sure the scope mount would have to be fabricated for you if you're cross-dominant. If you're left eye dominant though it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

i cant answer your question, but i can say jim hakes in wrightsville has a NICE blonde dragonov in the shop right now. if i was in the amrket i would hav ebought it. i dont recal the price though...

oh, its 762x54r also. IIRC you can get them in a few different calibers...
    This Space For Rent

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by evilash View Post
    I want the 7.62x54r version, and also was wondering if it could handle the military surplus rounds since it is a new clone?(the ones I have seem to have more kick in my mosin then the regular brown bear ones)
    If you're looking at a true Dragunov I'm not sure about the bullet weight(s) you can/can't use.

If you're looking at the PSL/FRK clones that are out there they are a completely different gas system. You've limited to light ball (147gr or under) IIRC. This "clone" is closer to an oversized AK as opposed to the Dragunov.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Allegheny County)

ehh... lame I guess I will be looking for a SVT-40 then.

(Chester County)

I gave up on the left handed shooting thing a while ago. With the exception of my bolt actions, all my rifles are right handed. It was just easier and cheaper for me to learn to switch.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by scoutjoe View Post
    If you're looking at a true Dragunov I'm not sure about the bullet weight(s) you can/can't use.

If you're looking at the PSL/FRK clones that are out there they are a completely different gas system. You've limited to light ball (147gr or under) IIRC. This "clone" is closer to an oversized AK as opposed to the Dragunov.
    I've been told that it's best to use light ball in a Dragunov.

(Bucks County)

SVT 40's are supposed to be really ammo sensitive as well. They do have an adjustable gas system, but you stilll run the risk of damaging those with heavy ball. Dragunovs and PSLs both eat light ball up happily, but get indigestion with heavy ball. As in, broken bolts.

I would go handle one if you can. If you can find a PSL, it is roughly the same ergonomically as a Dragunov, so that will give you an idea of whether or not it is comfortable.

Why not buy a PSL instead? They are far more common, and cheaper. I have one. I shoot light ball through it. It's more accurate than I am, I can manage 2'' groups at 100 yards, and I am a terrible shot. This is with the 4x POSP scope. If it's uncomfortable, you can get out of it for roughly what you have into it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by evilash View Post
    I am in the market for a dragunov clone
    == PSL, FPK, ROMAK

Yeah I am still looking around to try to find one so I can at least try to hold it. , also found a VEPR .308 that I might get but I really still want the original ammo.

(Berks County)

== PSL, FPK, ROMAK

Yeah I am still looking around to try to find one so I can at least try to hold it. , also found a VEPR .308 that I might get but I really still want the original ammo.
    I have a PSL and it's a fun rifle. Since the reciever is stamped use light ball only.

Ammo is plentiful and well priced. Extra mags are hit and miss but there are some good deals out there for them.

I just wich I could get some nice synthetic furniture for it that wasn't ridiculously expensive.
    The truth may be out there but the lies are inside your head -Terry Pratchett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast