Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Do you carry on a motorcycle?

I just got my motorcycle permit (soon to be license) and expect to be buying a bike sometime this summer. Is there any reason it would be a bad idea to carry while riding (once I get comfortable riding, that is)?

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Do you carry on a motorcycle?

You'll scratch up your gun if you lay it down.

Also might lose it in a wreck or amplify your injuries.

Besides that, I always used to carry on my bike. Luck had it I wasn't packing when I wrecked because I came down hard on my strong side hip and had my gun been there I would've jacked it up and hurt myself worse.

Just remember. Sometimes shit like this happens.

http://forum.pafoa.org/lounge-108/28...-pictures.html
    Last edited by P-11 shooter; April 26th, 2009 at 07:23 PM.

(Luzerne County)

YES I DO...

(Allegheny County)

I carry while riding, so does my roommate. He puts his piece in a tank bag, I keep mine in a zippered pocket on my jacket. I figure if I get in an accident while riding, the gun is the least of my worries.

Mind you, I don't have my LTCF yet. I do have an M class license and am one of those nutcases that ride year round. I even went so far to downsize to a one car family and my maxi scooter is now my main mode of transportation (my wife needs the car to get to work. Now before anyone jumps to any funny conclusions, this is what I am talking about when I say "scooter"

That is a 250cc watercooled that tops out at about 75 MPH and is very well highway capable. In fact, I rode that very scooter 4 times to Toronto and 2 times to Ottawa. The only times I don't ride is if there is black ice on the road or if I had more than zero drinks.

So to be clear, my opinion in this thread is based on riding experience, not on my entirely missing carrying experience.

I do plan to carry while riding. I have not made up my mind yet as to where I exactly will put it. It will for sure not be on the side or in the back. I don't ride in 100F+ with full protective gear including back protector just because it makes me look tougher. Some folks say it isn't a question of if, but a question of when and where and how hard you go down. I didn't so far in about 20 years of riding, but that doesn't mean it can't happen tomorrow. When that happens, you do not want to have some hunk of metal like a gun replacing the unfortunate rock hitting and crushing your hip or spine.

Which leaves us with cross carrying at 10 o-clock or ankle holster (I don't think deep carry under the shoulder and risking that the broken ribs pierce your lungs is a good option.

As said, I have riding experience only. I let those who have the actual carry while riding experience take over and ridicule me now. I'll be glad to learn from the pro's.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Delaware County)

Do you carry on a motorcycle?
    yes, motorcycle, car, tractor, walking, truck, bicycle, everywhere I'm legally allowed to. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. As pghstarsky said " If I get in an accident while riding, the gun is the least of my worries"

Bill

(Northampton County)

Always..Wear two t-shirts.IWB holster..2nd t-shirt over the holster.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
    Mind you, I don't have my LTCF yet. I do have an M class license and am one of those nutcases that ride year round. I even went so far to downsize to a one car family and my maxi scooter is now my main mode of transportation (my wife needs the car to get to work. Now before anyone jumps to any funny conclusions, this is what I am talking about when I say "scooter"

That is a 250cc watercooled that tops out at about 75 MPH and is very well highway capable. In fact, I rode that very scooter 4 times to Toronto and 2 times to Ottawa. The only times I don't ride is if there is black ice on the road or if I had more than zero drinks.

So to be clear, my opinion in this thread is based on riding experience, not on my entirely missing carrying experience.

I do plan to carry while riding. I have not made up my mind yet as to where I exactly will put it. It will for sure not be on the side or in the back. I don't ride in 100F+ with full protective gear including back protector just because it makes me look tougher. Some folks say it isn't a question of if, but a question of when and where and how hard you go down. I didn't so far in about 20 years of riding, but that doesn't mean it can't happen tomorrow. When that happens, you do not want to have some hunk of metal like a gun replacing the unfortunate rock hitting and crushing your hip or spine.

Which leaves us with cross carrying at 10 o-clock or ankle holster (I don't think deep carry under the shoulder and risking that the broken ribs pierce your lungs is a good option.

As said, I have riding experience only. I let those who have the actual carry while riding experience take over and ridicule me now. I'll be glad to learn from the pro's.

Jan
    I ride year 'round too, my scooter is a tad bigger than yours but that doesn't matter, I don't wear the protective gear, I wear what's comfortable, that could be a tank-top and shorts on a hot day, (like today 150+ miles) or leathers and a watch cap if it's cold, only wear a helmet where required by law or during a winter rain.

That said I have to comment on the photo, helmet, heavy jacket, gloves and SHORTS? Doesn't look like full protection to me

Ride free, ride armed.

Bill

(Chester County)

Yes, but in a jacket or vest pocket, not on my hip. I tried SOB carry once, but was so paranoid about losing my gun from the vibration, I kept reaching back to make sure it was secure. Deep down I knew I didn't have to worry with a good holster, but I decided if it was going to be a constant distraction, I shouldn't carry like that so I started carrying a snubbie in a pocket holster.

If it's a hot day and I don't have a vest or jacket, I'll carry it in my pants/shorts pocket. If I go down and need an ambulance, maybe the EMTs will just think I'm happy to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    That said I have to comment on the photo, helmet, heavy jacket, gloves and SHORTS? Doesn't look like full protection to me
    Good catch mate, good catch and low five.

That was really hot weather those days, and I had to cool down somehow. If I remember correctly, that weekend my friends and I did a 480 mile day all the way to the Orange County Chopper showroom in NY, over High Point (23) and ... you get the picture.

I'm located in Willow Grove, just north of Philly in Montgomery County. Maybe some day we can get something like "carrying on 2 wheels to a PAFOA picnic" going?

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast