Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Heavy-Barreled AR-15 Varmint / Target Rifle

So I'm looking for an AR-15 for plinking/varmint shooting. Considering the following but would love to hear what others have to say on these 5 and any alternatives. Positives/negatives and recommendations/watch outs would be appreciated and this would be my first AR-15.

ArmaLite
    Bushmaster
    Doublestar
    DPMS Panther
    Rock River

Thanks

(Venango County)

Default Re: Heavy-Barreled AR-15 Varmint / Target Rifle

those are all pretty decent, I had really leaned towards the RRA Coyote rifle when I was looking.....Cons for me were that the varmint barrels are not threaded, I plan on a suppressor someday. Also the fact that it's against regs to hunt varmints with a Semi-Auto as well.....you can disable the gas system and probably be legal, but expect to get hassled

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Allegheny County)

Any one of those will work. Your probably going to have a hard time finding one. I would go with which ever one you can find.

Oh ... in PA it's illegal to hunt with a semi-auto rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Berks County)

I like my DPMS .223. Chambered for 5.56 as well with deflector. Flash suppressor, adjustible stock. Solid gun. Great with a red dot scope. Pd $985 in December.

(Allegheny County)

I have a Bushmaster, and the thing shoots great. Never had a problem with it in terms of functioning or accuracy. Can't say either way as to the other brands, seeing as I've never actually shot any of 'em.
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force! Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action. - George Washington

(Allegheny County)

Oh, and a little advice for the first time AR buyer....prepare to spend some serious time cleaning and scrubbing if you want to keep the thing shooting like a charm
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force! Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action. - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    those are all pretty decent, I had really leaned towards the RRA Coyote rifle when I was looking.....Cons for me were that the varmint barrels are not threaded, I plan on a suppressor someday. Also the fact that it's against regs to hunt varmints with a Semi-Auto as well.....you can disable the gas system and probably be legal, but expect to get hassled
    That's the key point, there!

Quote Originally Posted by Decholder View Post
    Oh, and a little advice for the first time AR buyer....prepare to spend some serious time cleaning and scrubbing if you want to keep the thing shooting like a charm
    Can you elucidate? It astounds me that our government would send our troops into the field with equipment that needed constant maintenance just to remain functional even under the best circumstances. I mean, every machine needs maintenance, but the well-designed ones get more use than maintenance.

Is it really that bad?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    Can you elucidate? It astounds me that our government would send our troops into the field with equipment that needed constant maintenance just to remain functional even under the best circumstances. I mean, every machine needs maintenance, but the well-designed ones get more use than maintenance.

Is it really that bad?
    Nope, it's not.

I've shot hundreds of rounds between cleanings on my Rock River AR-15, and it has never had a problem.

I hear most AR 15's get more wear from cleaning than from shooting. (those that aren't used in carbine classes or war regularly.)

To the OP:

Pros:
    -with a 1:8 Free-floated barrel you can have sub-moa accuracy out to 600 yards if you use big 75 grain bullets.
    -Accurate as hell.
    -So much fun to shoot.
    -a good 2-stage trigger feels wonderful

Cons:
    -ammo isn't cheap:
    --the cheapest I've found that is still very accurate is this, but it looks like it is out of stock
    --to get the best accuracy out of this (or any) rifle, you will want to hand load
    -if you use it for home defense, it's a bit unwieldy, and most likely doesn't have iron sights.

Comments:
    -you will want a front harris bipod
    -you will want a scope mount (recommend one-piece that goes out over the front of the receiver, as many people like to shoot with the nose to the charging handle, but because of scope geometry and eye relief, that ends up being awkward)
    -you will want a decent scope
    -the stock is most likely not adjustable - you will lust after a magpul PRS stock.

Personal tilt:
    I went with the rock river version, as everyone seems to call the rock river 2-stage trigger the cadillac of triggers. Yes, there are porsches and benzes (jewell, jp, gisselle, etc.) but you're not starting there. Rock river also gives a nice accuracy guarantee that made me feel warm and fuzzy. I didn't see a lot of rifles being offered with the bushmaster 2-stage trigger, for example.

Armalite isn't the original armalite company that developed the AR platform, so there is no special magic there.

(Berks County)

It would be hard to go wrong with an 18" or 20" LaRue stealth upper sitting on top of a lower of your choice. My 18" is incredibly accurate with hand loaded ammunition.

Link:
    http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...ail.bok?no=100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast