Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default McKees Rocks Open Carry

Ok, so I was out and about for a few hours today, walked up and down Broadway (our main street) went into the blue eagle, which is a small convenience store, bought some pop, thats where the first weird thing happened, the girl at the counter was overly nice to me. Normally she would just say how much it cost. I actually had a few words, of how are you today, good, and have a nice day, you too.

I continued to make a round to woodward, where I thought I may get some looks from probably the last of the decent people in the area. Nope, no problems. Said hi to a few folks and that was it. Then walked back to my house.

I may go bike riding in a bit, in which case I'll be carrying IWB opposed to how I was walking OWB earlier. Have yet to run into an LEO yet. Cant wait to see if I get a reaction or not. But I'll let unze know if McKees Rocks LEO's are friendly or not.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: McKees Rocks Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Skuggi View Post
    went into the blue eagle... ....bought some pop

I used to have this debate all the time - proper name for carbonated beverages, etc.

Thing is, if it's "pop" not "soda" you're probably not gonna find an LEO that'll give you a hard time for OCing.

Heh!
    --Jordan K
    Nurse Aide, Havertonian, Student, Heavy Lifter

"Proper gun safety starts by being completely unwilling to do stupid sh.t for the lulz." --anonymous, 4chan.org

Pop is the sound that is heard when you are hit open handed up the backside of the head by your grandmother when you don't call someone sir or ma'am.

Soda is that stuff that comes in the box and you put in the refridgerator to keep it smelling fresh.

Coke is the stuff that comes in a can or bottle that is carbonated and tastes good.

Common interaction heard in God's Country:

Guy 1: You want a coke?
    Guy 2: Yeah.
    Guy 1: What kind?
    Guy 2: Pepsi.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

(York County)

I asked an officer about open carry today, he said it was legal, but he didn't like it and said that they "discourage" those who "try to".

I thought that response to be rather arrogant.

Quote Originally Posted by SGTUSArmy View Post
    Pop is the sound that is heard when you are hit open handed up the backside of the head by your grandmother when you don't call someone sir or ma'am.

Soda is that stuff that comes in the box and you put in the refridgerator to keep it smelling fresh.

Coke is the stuff that comes in a can or bottle that is carbonated and tastes good.

Common interaction heard in God's Country:

Guy 1: You want a coke?
    Guy 2: Yeah.
    Guy 1: What kind?
    Guy 2: Pepsi.
    Sorry to continue the hijack but I couldn't help but to say I agree completely with this LOL

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCopper View Post
    I asked an officer about open carry today, he said it was legal, but he didn't like it and said that they "discourage" those who "try to".

I thought that response to be rather arrogant.
    Yep, arrogant, but all too typical it seems. Very sad state of affairs when the police are willing to illegally deny you your civil liberty because they disagree with that particular liberty. If that's the case they should not have signed up to PROTECT your liberties in the first place!
    And this guy even told you of his potentially criminal intentions. It's disturbing how much discretionary power some of these people *think* they have.

Thinking more about the self incriminating statement by that idiot I can't help but wonder what my response would be.
    Monday morning quarterback, I know, but a good response to this type of comment would be something to the effect of:

"Well, your opinion is just that, and bears no weight of law. When it comes to civil liberties you don't agree with you might want to reconsider trying to force your opinion on others. Or as you put it, discourage those whom try. That's denying one's civil rights and to do so while wearing a badge is a very serious criminal offense. "

I bet the response would be either really 'colorful' or really brook trout.

Either way I guess whatever is said be sure to be polite, but be short, accurate and unyielding.

I'm carrying open more often and I just know the day is likely coming when I have to succumb to the inquisition. Being a am where I am I just know my chances of getting a competent officer to deal with are not comfortingly high...

(Allegheny County)

Skuggi,

I keep reading your open carry "updates" expecting to hear that you've been "stopped" and questioned. (Because of the area you're in)

I can't wait to meet you at the group shoot. Gotta shake your hand for having the stones to open carry around here! I think many don't open carry because of the potential hassle by law enforcement. "sorry honey, I'm gonna be late - I'm trying to explain to the nice officer that he doesn't know his ass from a hole in the... WHACK!!! OUCH! BZZZzzzt! AAAarrrrrgh!!! HELP! Somebody call the... err...somebody get a camcorder!!! BZZZZzzzzzzzzzt!!!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Dauphin County)

I'm watching too..waiting..
    I'm hot after that transport question..talk to some local LEOs that play poker with our group..their answer was "don't". Pisses me off..like hang'in with a bunch of high school wreslters- never know why..cause the coach said. Plez don't get offended high school wrestlers..you know what I mean.

(Allegheny County)

I know, damn my belief in my rights over riding my common sense. Damn pride. one day maybe i'll be assimilated and live a happy life

Oh I dont think I ever mentioned that I did open carry to get my CCW in the allegheny court house. It may have been the two judges that were in the court yard why nobody said anything at all to me, but the one security guard that had happened to be out there, kept himself trained on me. Understandable though.

I didnt get out tonight, but maybe tomorrow night. I did however open carry into Super K Mart in Robinson when I went in looking for safety glasses / ear protection, Walmart is cheaper btw. But there was hardly anyone in there, and nobody said anything or looked at me strange.
    Last edited by Skuggi; May 6th, 2007 at 01:30 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Skuggi View Post
    I know, damn my belief in my rights over riding my common sense. Damn pride. one day maybe i'll be assimilated and live a happy life

Oh I dont think I ever mentioned that I did open carry to get my CCW in the allegheny court house. It may have been the two judges that were in the court yard why nobody said anything at all to me, but the one security guard that had happened to be out there, kept himself trained on me. Understandable though.

I didnt get out tonight, but maybe tomorrow night. I did however open carry into Super K Mart in Robinson when I went in looking for safety glasses / ear protection, Walmart is cheaper btw. But there was hardly anyone in there, and nobody said anything or looked at me strange.
    Been telling people on various boards we do this all the time too and our experience mimics yours. The world won't end and SWAT won't be called out.

Those that carry guns aren't so much paranoid as they are self conscious about carrying, concealed or open.

You're my hero today.

Yesterday too.

(Allegheny County)

I am not criticizing the OP, but I personally think that open carry is not a good idea 95% of the time. I understand the argument about rights and I agree with it, but I am referring to the less idealistic reality of keeping a low profile and leading a "stealth existance" as John Farnam referrs to it.

Having weapons legally concealed upon your person is a tremendous advantage to you in a potential confrontation; open carrying, while possibly a deterrant, also negates your primary advantage of a surprise response.

I have open carried occsionally and I will in the future, but I think that it is best done in groups (as cops do and as individuals in Tony's classes will do at dinner time) instead of as a single individual.
    NRA Member
    GOA Life Member
    Moderator on www.m4carbine.net

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast