Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie

(Luzerne County)

Default newbie

I am just starting the process of getting my wife and I handguns for personal defense and would also like to do some rifle and shotgun sport/target shooting.

Any suggestions on local hunting/shooting clubs and places to to go shooting would be appreciated. I am in Mountain Top but can drive south to Hazleton and surrounds or north to back mountain areas or scranton areas.

Since I am in the newbie "don't know nothing" stage any good sources of basic gun and ammo info you could pass on would also be appreciated.

I am a Marine Corps vet from mid 90's but only had training on the M-16 (yes I was infantry). No pistol or shotgun training so I am bascially starting from scratch.

Default Re: newbie

Semper FI, But i gotta ask how is it only the M-16 and you were infantry, (03Humpalot) lol....I was in from mid 90's til 01 and served in STA, I recieved alot of training on various weapons...

(Luzerne County)

Semper Fi,
    Was with 3rd Light Armored Recon out of 29 palms and oki. Sounds more "high speed" than it was, at least at that time. I guess I could add training with a SAW and a little 50 cal but not enough to consider that as counting.

Either way, not much was going on in the world during that time. I imagine much more training in small arms now with two wars but who knows, it seemed like the USMC was always broke.....

Was in '94-'98, we were constantly training for iraq and nk but while I was in things were "relatively" normal. Being with LAR probably didn't do as much "humping" as you, mostly rode up and down mountains in the LAV. Not that I am complaining.....

(Luzerne County)

of topic, but how do you put that little quote in your posting????

(York County)

Welcome to PAFOA, Leatherneck!

I really like the way you are getting started, very admirable in my opinion. I'm relatively new here myself. The wealth of quality information here is awesome.

Don't be a stranger!

Here's a walk down "memory lane" in your honor...

Last edited by Curmudgeon; April 23rd, 2009 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spelling
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by 570mountaintop View Post
    of topic, but how do you put that little quote in your posting????
    570..If you mean like this ^^^^ ... Simply just hit "quote" at the bottom of the reply of someone that you wish to quote...You can manipulate it as you wish, deleting what sentences you dont want to quote.

Anyway..Have you actually gotten handguns yet? Or still looking in the market? (Do your research..some people may rant and rave about guns...but in the end, they just dont feel right for you)

I am fairly new to recreational shooting, but grew up in a familyof gun lovers and sellers. So if you have any questions, dont be afraid to ask.

(Luzerne County)

Not many clubs in the area. Heck, trying to find a place to shoot other than on the SGL ranges is hard any more.

Oh yeah...............Semper Fi!!

E Co Weapons Plt 2/6 (1979-1983)
    MOS 0351

(Luzerne County)

I have been going through the posts and it looks like my best bet is to try and become a member of a Rod and Gun club. But it seems like that won't be easy since you need sponsers, etc.

It also looks like Advanced Arms is the place to go to purchase a gun. I live close to piesktras (sp???) in alden. I really don't like to bad mouth, I will just say not to long ago I drove to the store. He blew me off and didn't give me the time of day when I had a few basic questions....

Of course I had $500.00 in my pocket ready to spend that day on a gun, and would have spent it.....

Anyways, I really liked what Chris from Advanced Arms has to say on some of the other threads. I personally will spend a couple extra bucks and purchase exclusively from a place that spends a few minutes to give me honest info.

Again I would appreciate any info on places to shoot, groups and so forth.
    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last... W. Churchill

(Cumberland County)

get to know a few of the guys hear from up your way and ill bet you get the sponsers you need.

welcome aboard and thanks for your service.

matt

(Luzerne County)

My wife and I were at this stage about a year ago; we were looking even under houses for handgun lessons/training, trying to contact local gun clubs, etc. Finally landed at Pocono Pistol club in Stroudsburg, a 2 hour round trip for us, but there was no other choice. Also, we have dealt with Chris at Advanced Arms and whuld highlly recommend his shop. Even though the Suscon Rd. range is only about 10 minutes away, we much prefer the Archbald range for pistol practice.

Hope you have better luck finding local training!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast