Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re-chambering ammo

I didn't know where to put this question? I figured here would be okay since i'm sure people who carry often do it.

What is your rule of thumb on re-chambering the same round over and over again in your carry gun?

You know, you come home at the end of the day, take the gun out of the holster, drop the mag, pull back the slide to eject the one in the chamber---then the next day, you put the previously chambered round back in the mag, insert the mag, re-chamber the same round.

How many times do you do this before not using the same chambered round again? I've heard all kinds of stories as to why you don't want to keep chambering the same round over---so, how many times is too many?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Re-chambering ammo

I do it to the same round until it has noticeable rim peening or the bullet's seating has changed.

Or you could just leave it chambered and keep the weapon in a safe place if there are kids around if not why unload...Me i have no kids around so my sidearm stays loaded 24/7...Sure i shoot at the range so that is the only time my carry ammo is out of the pistol but other then that i keep it loaded...Just my .02 and personal opinion

Well I keep my carry piece loaded stowed safely in its holster, but I do rotate the rounds from time to time to try and prevent setback of the bullet, particularly with my .40 s&w since at one time it was thought that this round was more prone to this problem. I don’t know if that is still the prevailing wisdom. Can't hurt though.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Monroe County)

I can't help because my gun stays mag in and chambered 24/7. There is no point in unloading your gun when you get home. If someone breaks in then you have to load it up again...

The only time my carry is ever unloaded is between mag changes at the range.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Allegheny County)

the answer to this question depends very heavily on the specific gun, the caliber, the type of bullet, etc.

i ran an experiment with a glock 17 and a few different types of ammo. i rechamber several types of ammo many times (over 30) and measured the rounds and got no noticeable setback.

however, glock chambers are not fully supported and 9mm bullets tend to be pretty pointy.

a different shape bullet in a gun with a different feed ramp/chamber could potentially cause bullet setback after only a couple of rechamberings.

so, you will have figure out if your gun causes setback with the ammo you use. all you gotta do is rechamber a couple of rounds a bunch of times and see if you get any setback. and just generally keep an eye on your rounds for setback if you rechamber routinely.
    F*S=k

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

I haven't noticed any change with gold dots, except a slight crease in the case. In fact I read somewhere the factory gold dots are loaded with some small thing inside the case to keep setback from happening. Someone at XDtalk was doing reloading and had the gold dot bullets and was having trouble seating them or something, and someone replied that the factory ones have this thing inside the case.

I still try and rotate the rounds though. I need to get a crapload of these to have around, and the ones chambered, ejected and rechambered so many times can be used for range time. Last I was at a store that sells PD rounds, they were a little bare shelved. Anyone know of online suppliers who have 9mm and .40 gold dots in stock and at a decent price?
    LOL, I am a woman...