Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Shipping Answers (to questions that are often asked)

As long as it is a long arm USPS will send it. You do NOT need to fill out a USPS Form 1508. This form can only be used by manufacturers or dealers of firearms. Whoever told you that you can't (ship a long arm) is wrong. They need to read their own regulations. If they argue, ask for the Postmaster. If the Postmaster tells you that you can't, go on line and print out the appropriate section and show them. If they still won't then write to the Postmaster General. When I get the time I will research the section that explains it ans post it or edit my original post.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; February 2nd, 2010 at 04:04 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    As long as it is a long arm USPS will send it. You do need to fill out a USPS Form 1508. Whoever told you that you can't is wrong. They need to read their own regulations. If they argue, ask for the Postmaster. If the Postmaster tells you that you can't, go on line and print out the appropriate section and show them. If they still won't then write to the Postmaster General. When I get the time I will research the section that explains it ans post it or edit my original post.
    USPS Domestic Mail Manual — Section 601: Mailability

From page 59:
    11.3: Rifles and Shotguns

Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e.
    Last edited by JCWohlschlag; January 25th, 2010 at 01:20 AM.

(Luzerne County)

Non-FFL
    Intrastate (within a state) Long Arms (Rifles, Shotguns): A non FFL can ship a long arm to an eligible person within the state via common carrier (UPS, FedEx, etc.) or USPS.

does that mean that one can do a privet sale threw the mail?
    we pray for peace but victory would also be ok

(Centre County)

Basically yes. As long as you are satisfied that the person receiving it is not a prohibited person you can do a sale that way. I have done several that way with PaFOA members in the past. I my cases the buyers sent me the money and a copy of their PA DL for my files and I shipped them the long gun. I have not had any problems.

(Luzerne County)

thanks a lot
    we pray for peace but victory would also be ok

(Perry County)

Are there any requirements as to what the guns will be shipped in? Obviously, if I was shipping a gun somewhere, I want to protect it as much as possible, at least in a plastic padded case.

But does the shipping container need to be of a specific material or does the case need to be locked or anything like that? I guess it wouldn't really make sense to have it locked, as the person receiving it wouldn't be able to open it unless you shipped the key with it (in which locking it would be pointless) or shipping the key ahead or after the shipment of the gun.

(Centre County)

The gun needs to be shipped in a sturdy box, that's all. It does not have to be in a locked container unless that's what you want to do. When I ship, I wrap it up in corrugated paper (like what is in the middle of a box then put it in an appropriate sized box. Tape it up, address it and send it on it's way. You just want to make sure that it won't shift around and get damaged. For handguns I wrap it up, first a cloth then bubble wrap and it goes into the shipping container. I put balled up newspaper to fill the voids in the box so it doesn't move around.

(Northampton County)

Great info in this thread!

Consider the following hypothetical:

You are on vacation in Florida with your legally carried firearm. On sudden notice, you get a call of a family emergency in California, and must leave on a flight immediately; you have approximately 30-60 minutes before you must arrive at the airport. You do not have family/friends nearby, and are not planning on passing back through the area on your way home.

Based on the information in this thread, you are able to ship your firearm to yourself/home via UPS or Fedex for collection upon your return. However, you cannot ship your ammunition together with the firearm and must ship it separately, at the small rate of $20+; it is costing you $20+ to ship approximately $10-$20 of ammunition. What do you do? Is there a way to dispose of ammo on the very short notice allotted you, or must you ship it? What are all of your options, and what would you do?
    And don't think you're off the hook, voters, you're the ones who made this bed. Now you're the ones who are going to have to move over so a gay couple can sleep in it. Tomorrow you're all going to wake up in a brave new world, a world where the Constitution gets trampled by an army of terrorist clones, created in a stem-cell research lab run by homosexual doctors who sterilize their instruments over burning American flags. -- Stephen Colbert

(Centre County)

If it would cost more to send it than it is worth, you can give it to someone (if readily available) or you could drop it off at a gun dealer, just tell them what is going on. Or, as a last resort, a police station (you may need to explain why, but no need to mention your gun, you could say you bought it to go shooting while on vacation but the emergency happened). I would not dispose of it in a garbage can, dumpster, etc.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    As long as it is a long arm USPS will send it. You do need to fill out a USPS Form 1508. Whoever told you that you can't is wrong. They need to read their own regulations. If they argue, ask for the Postmaster. If the Postmaster tells you that you can't, go on line and print out the appropriate section and show them. If they still won't then write to the Postmaster General. When I get the time I will research the section that explains it ans post it or edit my original post.
    be aware that USPS Form 1508 is for FFLS and is only used by FFLs when shipping a hand gun, and is not required for a non FFL to ship a longarm.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast