Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default 3 Weeks without freedom

So I just got my freedom, LTCF, and Guns back after 3 weeks without my rights. Heres the backstory...

I decided (like others on this forum) that problems with the significant other are out of control and its time for a split. Said significant other has battled alcohol demons and fail with treatment, etc. I filed for the big D with custody a few weeks ago, and low and behold 3 days after she was served I had 4 pleasant Pgh Police Offices show up to my work to serve a PFA (The LEO's really were pleasant, no sarcasm there).

It was a typical baseless PFA because I have never threatened this person or physically harmed them in any way through the entire relationship. Lies were told including statements that I made death threats. The judge saw past this and threw it out, but thats where the fun really begins.

I was ordered through the temporary PFA to turn in all guns to my local municiplaity, and the PGH boys already took my LTCF. Of course I was told it once it was thrown out I would get them back because even the LEO's suspected it was not true to the fact they told my boss this should not affect my job in any way because the have to serve bullshit PFA's all the time.

It took less than 1 week to have my name clear but an entire 2 weeks to get my firearms and license back. The municipality actually still had the guns almost a full week after the PFA was thrown out, and said they would not transfer them to Allegheny county because of this. Of course it did not turn out this way and I had to not only wait until the PFA was out of their "system" even with a court order, but also do a PICS check again. From court order to out of system took 2 weeks. All the staff with the Municipality were pleasant but I got the "our hands are tied" speech enough to last a lifetime. I felt naked as even though I am new to carry I have had a firearm in my home basically since birth (my father always had guns).

I can see the reason for PFA's but I think alot of it is bullshit especially because there is no proof when issued. I am very clean and have not even had a speeding ticket since I was 17. Sorry for the rant, just explaining my frustration with the system, this is in no way meaning to be deragatory to the police officers and detectives I had to deal with.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: 3 Weeks without freedom

Congrats on getting your guns back, and sorry to hear about the bullshit that's going on.

I wonder if it would be wise to pursue a civil suit against your ex-SO for pain and suffering and such due to her making false statements...
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Berks County)

Sorry you had to go through that shit. As mentioned, civil charges are an option, but there's also criminal charges that can be pressed for providing false information in the PFA. The same law that establishes PFAs also sets criminal pentalties for lying when filing one.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

hmmm...so you are saying that if I wanted to go get someone who I knew was armed all I have to do is file a PFA, make a few false statements and wait a few days for the Police to do the hard part and disarm them, then I can waltz over to their house and light em' up with no fear of getting shot? Sounds like a good deal...I'm glad the system works so well...
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Lehigh County)

yeah... scary.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Venango County)

Doesn't the law also allow you to transfer to someone who is not a prohibited person? IIRC, the police do not have to take possession, do they?

<Taepo heads to the library and interwebs>

<Returning a few minutes later...>

3rd Party Safekeeping for PFA

It's a long one so I will only post the link. It is for future reference. Would hate to see someone have a difficult time getting weapons back from the police in a future incident.
    Last edited by TaePo; April 22nd, 2009 at 02:54 AM.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Allegheny County)

I don't see what the big deal is. It was for everyone's safety.

Why does everything with you gun people have to come down to "rights" and "the law"?

3 weeks... if nothing bad happened to you in 3 weeks, you obviously don't need guns for protection, so why can't you just give up your precious guns and make us ALL safe?

Emptysarcasticmag

(Good luck with all the rest of the crap you need to deal with)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    hmmm...so you are saying that if I wanted to go get someone who I knew was armed all I have to do is file a PFA, make a few false statements and wait a few days for the Police to do the hard part and disarm them, then I can waltz over to their house and light em' up with no fear of getting shot? Sounds like a good deal...I'm glad the system works so well...
    I don't know how well that would work. I doubt that anyone is going to turn in guns that aren't traceable, such as FTF transfers, or unregistered firearms brought in from out of state. You might get lucky, or you might get dead!

For the OP, it's a shame you're having to deal with all of this, especially coming from someone with whom you used to share a loving relationship.

Find ways to protect yourself, and, if your attorney isn't giving you constant and useful advice as regards this, find a better attorney. There's too much at stake to not put up the best defenses possible.

Oh, and, it's of no value to mention that you haven't even had a speeding ticket since you were 17, if no one knows your age. You could be 18, for all we know, which makes your assertion unimpressive!

Be careful, and be safe.
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

I have a friend going through this same BS right now and it too is baseless and aggravating as hell.

Glad things went well for you even though it took some time. I seriously think the judges need to really start looking at these PFAs before handing them out!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    Doesn't the law also allow you to transfer to someone who is not a prohibited person? IIRC, the police do not have to take possession, do they?

<Taepo heads to the library and interwebs>

<Returning a few minutes later...>

3rd Party Safekeeping for PFA

It's a long one so I will only post the link. It is for future reference. Would hate to see someone have a difficult time getting weapons back from the police in a future incident.
    Unfortunately I found out about this too late because when the proverbial SHTF in the house she had already tried to take my guns, so they were actually already at a 3rd party residence. My municipality told me I had to bring them in from the 3rd party and I found out after the fact from Allegheny sherrifs that I could use a 3rd party for safekeeping. I should have looked into it more but honestly I was trying to do whats right so I would not screw anything up with custody, as that is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by kevindsingleton View Post
    For the OP, it's a shame you're having to deal with all of this, especially coming from someone with whom you used to share a loving relationship.

Find ways to protect yourself, and, if your attorney isn't giving you constant and useful advice as regards this, find a better attorney. There's too much at stake to not put up the best defenses possible.

Oh, and, it's of no value to mention that you haven't even had a speeding ticket since you were 17, if no one knows your age. You could be 18, for all we know, which makes your assertion unimpressive!

Be careful, and be safe.
    Sorry, Im 30, so 13 years without any kind of infraction.

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    Pretty much exactly how it could happen if you are a lawful citizen. No proof, No record, No history of abuse of any kind, and still served.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast