Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Carrying aross the country

OK I have my carry permit from PA, I also have a map of the states that recognize the PA permit and let you carry in their state. I have to take my mom bacvk to AZ and can get across the country carring except in NM. How do I pass thru NM legally, I will be driving a SUV without a trunk. Thanks for any ideas!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Carrying aross the country

Welcome to the forum. Searching goes a long way. For those states in which your PA LTCF is no good, you must abide by FOPA if you want to lawfully pass through these states and have a chance at staying out of jail. Good luck and be careful.

Last time I was in NM (6 years ago) carrying in a vehicle was legal, BUT it had to be in plain view. But to be safe, take a minute out and google NM firearm laws. DO NOT take it into ANY place that sells alcohol (this includes grocery stores). It is illegal there and their signs do carry weight. Every place that sell alcohol is posted plain as day.

conceal carry .net and go to pack n go trip planner. It's a very good site to use to see if the state you are traveling through honors your permit. Hope this helps you.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by maxx2u2 View Post
    OK I have my carry permit from PA, I also have a map of the states that recognize the PA permit and let you carry in their state. I have to take my mom bacvk to AZ and can get across the country carring except in NM. How do I pass thru NM legally, I will be driving a SUV without a trunk. Thanks for any ideas!
    if you have time, you can get a UT license and use that to carry in NM.
    F*S=k

(Bucks County)

OK whats a UT liciense

Quote Originally Posted by maxx2u2 View Post
    OK whats a UT liciense
    Its kinda like a jackalope for the carry permit world.

Just kidding. Its a Utah Carry Permit or whatever they call it out there.

You take a class thats offered every so often round these parts and send off your first born and they give you a license. Or so thats what I have been told..

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjames_71 View Post
    Its kinda like a jackalope for the carry permit world.

Just kidding. Its a Utah Carry Permit or whatever they call it out there.

You take a class thats offered every so often round these parts and send off your first born and they give you a license. Or so thats what I have been told..
    yep...except rather than your first born, you just need to send in somewhere around $50 or $60 (forget exactly) and your fingerprints.

the official name seems to be "concealed firearm permit" (at least that's what mine says on it).

but, yeah, it's just another carry license that allows you to carry in a bunch of extra states...NM among them.
    F*S=k

(Chester County)

This is the Federal law for carry interstate through unfriendly territory (aka FOPA):

18 USC § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    While in a friendly state secure the firearm(s) as indicated, travel through unfriendly area without unreasonable deviations, after arriving in friendly state rearm and carry as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    yep...except rather than your first born, you just need to send in somewhere around $50 or $60 (forget exactly) and your fingerprints.

the official name seems to be "concealed firearm permit" (at least that's what mine says on it).

but, yeah, it's just another carry license that allows you to carry in a bunch of extra states...NM among them.
    Ahh wasn't sure how much it cost, thought it was more than that. Guess maybe thats the Florida one. Looked into getting Florida one about 7 yeards ago, never got it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast