Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Concealed Carry with Non-Resident Permit...

Hey all I'm new to PAFOA, well relatively. I have used the site for firearms law clarification and it is wonderful (Tredyffrin Township PD didn't have a great idea on handgun ownership ages and open carry). But I would like to put my situation out in the open. I am 19 not 21 so I cannot apply for a carry permit in PA. However i can apply for a non-resident permit in a state that has reciprocity with PA, that state being North Dakota. Now i know that the states have this agreement, but does PA law allow me to carry with that permit although I am still under 21? I know it is 18 to own and open carry, but even if i wanted to open carry I would have to walk everywhere i needed to go. So my question is relatively simple but I cannot for the life of me find anything to clear this up. Thank you all in advance.

Josh

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Concealed Carry with Non-Resident Permit...

It would depend on what the agreement stipulated. Some agreements specify that only licensees 21 or older are recognized. Any license from any state would cover you in a vehicle regardless of your age.

The AG's site shows all of Our reciprocity agreements. Check there and see what the ND agreement says.

(Chester County)

I do see that ND has reciprocity for regular permits, however my main question is can I use the non-resident permit simply because they issue theors at 18 instead of 21, because I am not 21. I want to be sure that I can use that in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by glock40 View Post
    I do see that ND has reciprocity for regular permits, however my main question is can I use the non-resident permit simply because they issue theors at 18 instead of 21, because I am not 21. I want to be sure that I can use that in PA.
    If there is no age restriction in the agreement, then you are covered.
    If it was me in your situation, I would print out the agreement, and carry it with me, until 21 yrs. If you get a ND non-res.

(Jefferson County)

Its not illegal for someone under 21 to conceal a gun in PA, the law only says you have to be 21 to qualify for a Pennsylvania issued LTCF. In fact, those 18 and older can conceal a handgun while hunting, fishing, trapping, and dog training with a Sportsmans Permit - while the are actually performing such recreation and with the proper sporting license.

So if you are licensed by another state that issues to those under 21. And if the mutual agreement doesn't exclude those that are under 21 - then you are legal.
    Last edited by knight0334; April 21st, 2009 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Its not illegal for someone under 21 to conceal a gun in PA, the law only says you have to be 21 to qualify for a Pennsylvania issued LTCF. In fact, those 18 and older can conceal a handgun while hunting, fishing, trapping, and dog training with a Sportsmans Permit - while the are actually performing such recreation and with the proper sporting license.

So if you are licensed by another state that issues to those under 21. And if the mutual agreement doesn't exclude those that are under 21 - then you are legal.
    A sportsman's permit does not allow CC, period.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

Have a citation for this? Thx...

(Chester County)

So it seems that PA is not in a written agreement with ND but rather a statutory agreement as per the attorney generals website. I guess for further clarification on this i will call them direct. But I do believe that it will be possible for me to get this permit and begin carrying.

This is the link stating the agreement---
    http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

Hopefully if all goes well I will be in contact with a ND sheriff soon.

Quote Originally Posted by glock40 View Post
    So it seems that PA is not in a written agreement with ND but rather a statutory agreement as per the attorney generals website. I guess for further clarification on this i will call them direct. But I do believe that it will be possible for me to get this permit and begin carrying.

This is the link stating the agreement---
    http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

Hopefully if all goes well I will be in contact with a ND sheriff soon.
    Go to OCdotOrg. Ask about where and who to talk to in the ND thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast