Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm so angry!!! (stolen property issue)

I just got a call today from a guy that I bought a rather expensive scope from a couple months ago. He admitted to me that the scope was stolen during the call and asked for it back stating he'd pay me back later because he spent the money I paid for it. I am furious with him because he told me at the time of purchase that he won it in a raffle and needed cash to pay back some family debt.

Now if that wasn't bad enough...

I ended up selling the scope to a guy at the range to fund another scope with greater magnification. Now this guy is threatening me and my property if I don't get it back and also said he'd "take me down" with him if I don't get it back!!!

So my question is how can I get this guy in trouble for threatening me and selling me stolen goods? Who should I call to file a complaint?

Default Re: I'm so angry!!! (stolen property issue)

Quote Originally Posted by huntingtimepa View Post
    I just got a call today from a guy that I bought a rather expensive scope from a couple months ago. He admitted to me that the scope was stolen during the call and asked for it back stating he'd pay me back later because he spent the money I paid for it. I am furious with him because he told me at the time of purchase that he won it in a raffle and needed cash to pay back some family debt.

Now if that wasn't bad enough...

I ended up selling the scope to a guy at the range to fund another scope with greater magnification. Now this guy is threatening me and my property if I don't get it back and also said he'd "take me down" with him if I don't get it back!!!

So my question is how can I get this guy in trouble for threatening me and selling me stolen goods? Who should I call to file a complaint?
    Stop posting, talk to a lawyer!

(Allegheny County)

I'd have a word with the robbery detectives at your police station.
    First off what he is doing is blackmail and extortion. I'd have the cops set his ass up and take him down hard. How you know it was stolen? He could be making this crap up to get more money out of you?

Gunlawyer would be a good guy to have chime in on this thread.

Edit: And what fingers 80002 said also works.

Quote Originally Posted by ALS View Post
    I'd have a word with the robbery detectives at your police station.
    First off what he is doing is blackmail and extortion. I'd have the cops set his ass up and take him down hard. How you know it was stolen? He could be making this crap up to get more money out of you?

Gunlawyer would be a good guy to have chime in on this thread.
    There's no way in hell I'm giving him any more money. Although I must admit I never thought that it might be a lie.

You gotta remember the enconomy is piss poor right now, and as the last one said he just may be trying to get more money out of you..

Quote Originally Posted by Karma8541 View Post
    You gotta remember the enconomy is piss poor right now, and as the last one said he just may be trying to get more money out of you..
    I believe this is the case. I attempted to call him back and confront him about some things he said that aren't adding up. He did not answer or return my call so obviously he's not pushing the issue, leading me to believe this was a scam. I'm not going to waste anymore time on this.

Thanks to all who responded. I'm a long time lurker here and I enjoy this site daily.

(Bucks County)

A quick call to your local PD is not wasting time. It may get him caught for his crimes, and it may get his victims made whole. Isn't that what you would want if he had stolen it from you?
    America would be a much better place if we all started operating on the principle of, upon seeing something wrong, we all stood up and said, loudly, "HEY, Everybody look over here, this is wrong, this needs to stop, everybody look at this, here is a crime being committed, let's get everybody in town over here to look at this, get some really bright lights so everyone can see this".
    All that is necessary for evil to win, is for good men to do nothing".
    A phone call will only take you a couple of minutes, and it might end your involvement with this scum.

(Allegheny County)

IANAL, but i'm going to try to play shithouse lawyer anyway.

As I recall, if you were still in posession of the item, you would have to return it to the lawful owner, and may or may not be compensated for your loss. Since you sold it, and didn't know about it's status at the time, you may be absolved of any liability if it can be recovered from whoever has it now. not sure about that though, restitution might still play a part. For sure I would not do anything to accommodate this POS. As was already posted/suggested, I would contact the PD and let them work thru the mess, and better that you get to them before he does if he's telling the truth and not trying to squeeze you. Regardless, you should be clear of the whole receiving stolen property mess, since you inquired and had no suspicion that it was stolen.

The way it works is that every innocent purchaser gets reimbursed by the person he bought it from, whether the seller was knowing or unknowing. The guy that the OP sold it to is entitled to a refund from the OP, the OP is entitled to a refund from the crook who called him.

Criminally, there's no liability for an truly innocent purchaser, at least up to the time that he found out.* I'm not sure what the OP's obligations are to the guy he sold it to, but if he can find him, he damn well better notify him that he's in possession of stolen goods, and reimburse him for what he paid. Then have him turn the scope over to the police.

Of course, it could be a deeper scam, if the crook just wants the scope back so he can re-sell one more time. Why anyone would extend credit to an admitted thief, I dunno. He says that he sold the OP stolen property, he wants it back now with a promise to pay later? Nope.

*I should clarify, under no circumstances should the OP obtain & transfer that scope back to the original crook, now that he's on notice that it's stolen. Notify the current possessor of the status, reimburse him for what he paid (no more, no less) and tell him to hand it over to the police along with the OP's contact info. You do NOT want to "buy" back stolen goods, and you do NOT want to "sell" stolen goods back to the crook. Don't touch it, but try to repair what was already done.
    Last edited by GunLawyer001; April 20th, 2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Added the starred text.

(Montgomery County)

On the other hand, if you paid cash and there is no signed receipt, the response to the original seller/thief might something along the lines of... Go fuck yourself, loser!

It sounds to me like he is either scamming you or trying to give it back to the owner to prevent police involvement.

Either way, I would wait to have cash in hand before returning it to the scumbag.
    I can tell you've been rady8ed, you have a nice glow about you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast