Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Cops, guns, shooting, and practice?

How often do you think cops practice shooting? What are their requirements for qualification? We hear it all the time that only cops should carry guns because they are professionals [and only they can use them]. I'd appreciate any insights to the PPD/PSP training regiments and requirements. I tried posting the questions over at domelights.com, but they acted more like gnomelights.com. So far I've gathered that they don't practice a lot because shooting at the range is not "real-world combat" so it's not worth their time.

Al

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Cops, guns, shooting, and practice?

most LEOs, not just here, but across the country, only need to "qualify", and that's usually no more than twice a year. some may require more, but i don't know of any.

surprisingly enough, many LEOs only carry for their job, and don't carry off duty. there's nothing wrong with that; being a gun enthusiast shouldn't be a prerequisite to being a cop. still, i'd feel much safer if i knew a cop practiced a lot with his gun, or competed in IDAP/IPSC matches. we have LEOs who are members; hopefully they can provide some more answers.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    most LEOs, not just here, but across the country, only need to "qualify", and that's usually no more than twice a year. some may require more, but i don't know of any.

surprisingly enough, many LEOs only carry for their job, and don't carry off duty. there's nothing wrong with that; being a gun enthusiast shouldn't be a prerequisite to being a cop. still, i'd feel much safer if i knew a cop practiced a lot with his gun, or competed in IDAP/IPSC matches. we have LEOs who are members; hopefully they can provide some more answers.
    And qualifying isn't very hard, from what I understand anyone with any experience with a gun can qualify. I have quite a few friends that are leo's and said it was very easy!

I only know of a few near me that are truly trained, the rest are "qualified" .

(Luzerne County)

How often should a person with a LTCF be required to practice?

How often should a person with a LTCF be required to qualify?

Who says, "only the police should have guns"? I see it posted on the internet all the time, but I've once seen someone saying it.

But............to your question.

Qualifications will depend on the dept and/or state. MPOETC standards are qualifications once a year. Some depts might do it twice. Some depts, like have quarterly qualifications. I was watching a video on youtube where an officer from LAPD said they are required to qualify every two months.

Practice is left to the officer. Some depts supply the range and all the ammo the officer can shoot. Some depts have no range and ammo is only given at qualification.

"Qualification" is nothing more than meeting a minimum scoring level. "Firearms Training" takes in eveything else; shoot/no shoot, tactics, cover, malfunction drills, one-hand drills, etc.

Pretty much the only time the vast majority of LEO's get this training is during there yearly firearms training. I know some depts that shot a 60-round qual course and called it quits.

The difference between LEO's and non-LEO's when it comes to guns is that for the most part the LEO's don't want to do anything that has to do with work when they are off. Dealing with domestics, accidents, etc. On the day off the LEO wants to hang out with their family, golf, fish.....watch a ball game.....sleep.

Some non-LEO's work all week and can't wait for their days off to go shooting. On the other hand........some non-LEO's never go to the range.

I try and go shooting whenever I can. I had to work today but I was lucky enough to be able to take some time and get in about 100rds of practice with one of my guns. My schedule sucks and I'm dying to get to the range, but I have to squeeze it in when I can. Doesn't always work.

So, LEO's have minimum standards and all they really have to do is meet them. Some go beyond that. Most probably don't.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks guys. I'd think that if your life depends on your gun, you'd be out there practicing as often as possible. You don't have to be an enthusiast to do that. What I am curious about is that how often this has come back and bit under-trained cops in their asses? I wonder how many cops died because of the inability to hit their targets. IDPA would be a great thing for them. Don't they have at least some similar training?

Al

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post

Who says, "only the police should have guns"? I see it posted on the internet all the time, but I've once seen someone saying it.

Qualifications will depend on the dept and/or state. MPOETC standards are qualifications once a year. Some depts might do it twice. Some depts, like have quarterly qualifications. I was watching a video on youtube where an officer from LAPD said they are required to qualify every two months.

Practice is left to the officer. Some depts supply the range and all the ammo the officer can shoot. Some depts have no range and ammo is only given at qualification.

"Qualification" is nothing more than meeting a minimum scoring level. "Firearms Training" takes in eveything else; shoot/no shoot, tactics, cover, malfunction drills, one-hand drills, etc.

Pretty much the only time the vast majority of LEO's get this training is during there yearly firearms training. I know some depts that shot a 60-round qual course and called it quits.

The difference between LEO's and non-LEO's when it comes to guns is that for the most part the LEO's don't want to do anything that has to do with work when they are off. Dealing with domestics, accidents, etc. On the day off the LEO wants to hang out with their family, golf, fish.....watch a ball game.....sleep.

Some non-LEO's work all week and can't wait for their days off to go shooting. On the other hand........some non-LEO's never go to the range.

I try and go shooting whenever I can. I had to work today but I was lucky enough to be able to take some time and get in about 100rds of practice with one of my guns. My schedule sucks and I'm dying to get to the range, but I have to squeeze it in when I can. Doesn't always work.

So, LEO's have minimum standards and all they really have to do is meet them. Some go beyond that. Most probably don't.
    Thanks for your thorough answer and insight. I have heard the statement "only cops should have guns" personally before. The expectation of LTCF owners to train as much as cops isn't really fair. Being an LEO expose you to more situations where you would need to use your gun vs. non-LEO's daily life.

Al

(Luzerne County)

Talking Re: Cops, guns, shooting, and practice?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post

I have to say you brought up a good point. What's the difference between a leo and just someone that carries day to day. The responsibility to be safe and responsible is the same. I sure don't want to qualify or take a test everytime I buy a firearm, Does anyone else? I'm sure there are leo's that hit the range all the time(gun nuts). I know one. And then there are guys that just do enough to get by. As long as they know their own boundries and abilities I'm fine with things the way they are.

(Allegheny County)

It really depends on the department. The department that I worked for had us qualify 4 times/year with duty guns. 4 times a year with long guns, 2 times a year with BUGs. We did a low light shoot yearly.

We had our own indoor range, and officers would get a chance to practice monthly, sometimes, 2 times a month. Practice sessions were usually around 2 hrs each. Some officers would go and practice weekly.

We did yearly firearms training at an outside range that belonged to another department. We had the chance to shoot on a mover; we had the ability to use our long guns (ARs) out to 75 yds, and had a chance to shoot on a Rogers Reactive Steel range. We also set up a live-fire shoot house for our officers at this range.

The department had training several times a year with simunitions, for role-play/force on force training. This included all sorts of different scenarios for the officers to participate in.

I have had the chance to attend lots of training throughout the country with some of the top instructors, I have trained with all sorts of individuals, military, police, and civilian shooters (both defensive minded trainees and competition minded ones).

I can say, that the majority of the officers in our department, where WELL trained. It really comes down to the standards that the department sets for its officers.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.