Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Substitution of primers

Of course, the first and best policy is to load only that which is a tested and proven load combination, such as found in reputable loading manuals.

Now comes the "BUT... . . If standard primers were unavailable?."

Reasons...
    (1) I snagged a good deal on magnum small pistol primers a while back, probably more than I will consume in the next coouple of years.
    And
    (2) standard small pistol primers are/may be in short supply and if it becomes neccessary to look for a substitute for standard small pistol primers,

The Qestion . . .
    "Has there been any reputable material published on such substitution? Any scientific experimenting, any real-world experience in such substitutions?"

Thanks,

Flash

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Substitution of primers

The two main differences in magnum primers are harder cup to resist primer failure and a bit hotter to help ignite magnum charges. It should not be a problem to substitute magnum for non-magnum, but you might want to drop the load a few tenths or a grain to make up for the hotter primer.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    The two main differences in magnum primers are harder cup to resist primer failure and a bit hotter to help ignite magnum charges. It should not be a problem to substitute magnum for non-magnum, but you might want to drop the load a few tenths or a grain to make up for the hotter primer.
    That's the historic answer, but I have never loaded magnum primers instead of standard. I have, however, loaded standard primers in place of magnums, and in what I was shooting in 357, it appeared to me (and that is the operative phrase) to make no difference. Though I did not at that time have a chronograph, the pressure indications and apparent recoil were no different than with magnums.

The primer and powder companies, as a typical CYA comment, will only say, "use verified, published data".

I'm thinking of unavailability of standard...

Flash

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    That's the historic answer, but I have never loaded magnum primers instead of standard. I have, however, loaded standard primers in place of magnums, and in what I was shooting in 357, it appeared to me (and that is the operative phrase) to make no difference. Though I did not at that time have a chronograph, the pressure indications and apparent recoil were no different than with magnums.

The primer and powder companies, as a typical CYA comment, will only say, "use verified, published data".

Flash
    The only real concern you should have when using magnums in place of standard is a possibly higher pressure and a faster peak pressure point. If you are loading max loads in non-magnum cartridges, a magnum primer could push you over the SAAMI spec'd limit a little bit.

Most folks however dont load that hot responsibly and wont have anything to worry about.

If magnum primers are all that you have in the future due to unavailability of standards, dont sweat using them in place of the standards. Just mind your max loads..

(Delaware County)

The reloading manuals also say to use the same bullet, primer and casing they've used to provide such data. Reality is, most people don't.

As others have mentioned, if you try magnum primers, you may want to reduce your loads some.

Small pistol primers can still be had in SE PA, but they're definitely not as available as they were in 08. Idk how the rest of PA is with regards to reloading supplies. I know that reloading .223 is so hard these days because primers and powder are like non-existant.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post

Flash
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The only real concern you should have when using magnums in place of standard is a possibly higher pressure and a faster peak pressure point. If you are loading max loads in non-magnum cartridges, a magnum primer could push you over the SAAMI spec'd limit a little bit.

Most folks however dont load that hot responsibly and wont have anything to worry about.

If magnum primers are all that you have in the future due to unavailability of standards, dont sweat using them in place of the standards. Just mind your max loads..
    Thanks, that had always been my basic assumption, to keep it within sensible limits, and substitution should not be a great issue. I have loaded shotshells with one primer and one basic wad/shot load for all comparable hulls for thirty years, powder being the only interchangeable thing, and as long as I used a powder having nearly similar volume, I have had no surprises.

As andrewjs said, "The reloading manuals also say to use the same bullet, primer and casing they've used to provide such data. Reality is, most people don't".

I've loaded primers in empty cases, and fired them in a revolver, and it is very difficult to determine which one is standard and which magnum, judging from the noise, visible flash, or flame output.

This whole thread has returned to me as "suspicions confirmed", and it is kind of you folks to share your experience.

Flash