Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Default Kimber Pro Carry II

Greetings All!

I just put a few dollars down on a used Kimber Pro Carry II at price I simply couldn't turn down at my favorite local shop. I'm definitely more of a wheel gun sort o' guy, but I've also always wanted to get a 1911 style pistol.

I looked though old threads and didn't see much info so I thought I'd throw it out to the masses: anyone have and or carry this piece? What do you think of it? Any info would be great.

Thanks
    Tom

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Kimber Pro Carry II

I have one thats all stainless i picked up a few months ago. been my main carry piece since then. my recommendation is to try as many different types of HP ammo and see what works best. for me it's HST and Winchester Silver tips. Ranger and Hornady gave me failure to loads

at 15 yards i can hold 1-1/2" groups so i'm satisfied with it's accuracy.

I'm currently carrying it in a Galco Fletch holster and its pretty comfortable.

depending on how used it is you may want to replace the recoil and firing pin spring. i just did on mine when i put on some Trijicon night sites.
    Last edited by wils91; April 17th, 2009 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RuralTom View Post
    Greetings All!

I just put a few dollars down on a used Kimber Pro Carry II at price I simply couldn't turn down at my favorite local shop. I'm definitely more of a wheel gun sort o' guy, but I've also always wanted to get a 1911 style pistol.

I looked though old threads and didn't see much info so I thought I'd throw it out to the masses: anyone have and or carry this piece? What do you think of it? Any info would be great.

Thanks
    Tom
    You will have some mixed posts about Kimber, more of hit and miss with their customer service and product. I love my Kimber and wouldnt trade it for anything but luckily I havent had to use their CS. Like the post before me try all types of hollow points, and practice loads and figure out what your gun likes best if it even has a preference
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by wils91 View Post
    I have one thats all stainless i picked up a few months ago. been my main carry piece since then. my recommendation is to try as many different types of HP ammo and see what works best. for me it's HST and Winchester Silver tips. Ranger and Hornady gave me failure to loads

at 15 yards i can hold 1-1/2" groups so i'm satisfied with it's accuracy.

I'm currently carrying it in a Galco Fletch holster and its pretty comfortable.

depending on how used it is you may want to replace the recoil and firing pin spring. i just did on mine when i put on some Trijicon night sites.
    Cool. Mine is stainless also, and comes equipped with night sights so I should be ready to roll! I rarely have actually carried HP ammo, so it shouldn't be a huge problem. A 230 grain .45 bullet, IMO, will take care of most attackers... Hopefully, this will be the perfect complement to my usual daily carry selection.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by S&W 10mm View Post
    You will have some mixed posts about Kimber, more of hit and miss with their customer service and product. I love my Kimber and wouldnt trade it for anything but luckily I havent had to use their CS. Like the post before me try all types of hollow points, and practice loads and figure out what your gun likes best if it even has a preference
    I've definitely seen what you're saying, some probs with Kimber customer service and perhaps in some cases quality control... but, it has also been mentioned that they make so many 1911's that some just don't run as well as others. Law of averages and all... Hopefully this will be a smooth running, error free gem!

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by RuralTom View Post
    Cool. Mine is stainless also, and comes equipped with night sights so I should be ready to roll! I rarely have actually carried HP ammo, so it shouldn't be a huge problem. A 230 grain .45 bullet, IMO, will take care of most attackers... Hopefully, this will be the perfect complement to my usual daily carry selection.
    i just saw where you were from....is this the one they had up the police supply by chance? i'm pretty sure that one just had 3 dots and its the Pro Carry II with the aluminum frame and stainless slide.

when you get it and since your new to the 1911 i'd be glad to show you how to tear it apart to clean and such since your local to me.

(Montgomery County)

Default I love mine

My Kimber ProCarry II is my main carry pistol, and I love it.

They're very tightly put together. For the first few hundred rounds, I remember getting a few jams where the gun would fail to return to battery for about the last 1/8 inch. But a quick tap on the rear of the slide got it right back into shooting mode, and at about the 250 round mark the gun functioned flawlessly from that point on.

Then something bad happened, but it was my own fault. I was cleaning it after a range trip, and I noticed two very tiny hairline cracks in the frame. Kimber tells you to change the recoil spring every 750-800 rounds, and I probably had about 1200 rounds in it before I knew to change it. Well, since the ProCarry II is an alloy frame, it's much less forgiving than a steel frame pistol. The alloy is what keeps the gun light enough so you can carry it all day every day without it feeling too heavy.

Anyway. I called Kimber, and they had me send it in. Replaced the entire frame at no cost to me. They even picked up the shipping. I had it back inside of 3 weeks, and now I keep a little notebook in my range bag to track every round. I change the recoil spring at 750 rounds now, and have had zero problems since. I also keep her well lubed with Weapon Shield.

Apart from the initial stickiness, I've had no problems with any ammo I've fed her...CorBon Pow'R'Ball, Speer Gold Dots, Blazer Brass, Winchester white box, Remington UMC JHPs.

I carry mine every day, and would trust my life to it without hesitation.
    Last edited by PhilA; April 18th, 2009 at 11:42 PM.
    I carry a gun not to take lives, but to keep mine from being taken.

(Fayette County)

Default Re: I love mine

Quote Originally Posted by PhilA View Post
    My Kimber ProCarry II is my main carry pistol, and I love it.

They're very tightly put together. For the first few hundred rounds, I remember getting a few jams where the gun would fail to return to battery for about the last 1/8 inch. But a quick tap on the rear of the slide got it right back into shooting mode, and at about the 250 round mark the gun functioned flawlessly from that point on.

Then something bad happened, but it was my own fault. I was cleaning it after a range trip, and I noticed two very tiny hairline cracks in the frame. Kimber tells you to change the recoil spring every 750-800 rounds, and I probably had about 1200 rounds in it before I knew to change it. Well, since the ProCarry II is an alloy frame, it's much less forgiving than a steel frame pistol. The alloy is what keeps the gun light enough so you can carry it all day every day without it feeling too heavy.

Anyway. I called Kimber, and they had me send it in. Replaced the entire frame at no cost to me. They even picked up the shipping. I had it back inside of 3 weeks, and now I keep a little notebook in my range bag to track every round. I change the recoil spring at 750 rounds now, and have had zero problems since. I also keep her well lubed with Weapon Shield.

Apart from the initial stickiness, I've had no problems with any ammo I've fed her...CorBon Pow'R'Ball, Speer Gold Dots, Blazer Brass, Winchester white box, Remington UMC JHPs.

I carry mine every day, and would trust my life to it without hesitation.
    I guess maybe I should order some springs BEFORE I even finish the purchase- definitely want to keep any structual failure from happening, as far as I am aware I won't be covered by any warranty! However, with any luck, the "break-in" period should have been done by the original owner!

Thanks

(Columbia County)

Wink Re: Kimber Pro Carry II

These firearms should have 300 rounds of 230 ball for the break in. The only people that questiom Kimber are the people that do not have one. These are great firearms and I think Kimber will fix any problems with it for the life of the firearm. I find that Kimber was easy to deal with and make some of the best firearms made, rifles, and handguns. Early Kimber had a few problems (and worked with owers to fix all)with overly tight 1911's but the II (2nd production) are just fine. Use good ammo.
    Clean and wet, rated as one of the BEST 1911's made, if not the very best. Kimber has a great custom shop that can do anything you could possibly want or need done. I would not even consider another manufacture for a 1911 or hunting rifle.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejoe View Post
    These firearms should have 300 rounds of 230 ball for the break in. The only people that questiom Kimber are the people that do not have one. These are great firearms and I think Kimber will fix any problems with it for the life of the firearm. I find that Kimber was easy to deal with and make some of the best firearms made, rifles, and handguns. Early Kimber had a few problems (and worked with owers to fix all)with overly tight 1911's but the II (2nd production) are just fine. Use good ammo.
    Clean and wet, rated as one of the BEST 1911's made, if not the very best. Kimber has a great custom shop that can do anything you could possibly want or need done. I would not even consider another manufacture for a 1911 or hunting rifle.
    Great! Nothing I like better than a glowing recommendation on something I'm about to shell out a goodly amount of hard earned cash on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast