Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Home Intruder Shot During 911 Call

http://news.aol.com/article/home-int...-call%2F432145

(April 16) - A chilling 911 call captures the moment a Virginia man shot and killed an intruder in his home as his wife pleaded with the dispatcher for help.

Jody Hoover, 46, called Botetourt County police on April 10 describing a man in his yard "hollering" and "crying out," The Roanoke Times reported. Hoover then handed the phone to his wife as he got his double-barreled, 12-gauge shotgun.

The intruder, later identified by police as Jerry Lee Jones Jr., can be heard on the call banging on the home's sliding glass door as Hoover warns that he has a gun and warns Jones to "go away" and not force him to use it. Jones then crashes through the door and Hoover shoots at him twice. Meanwhile, Hoover's wife frantically asks the dispatcher to "send somebody quick," WDBJ7.com reported.

Jones' blood-alcohol content was at more than four times the legal limit, authorities said. His sister, Margaret Jones, said he had been depressed and was drinking because it was their late father's birthday, The Roanoke Times reported. Hoover will not face charges in the shooting death, which county officials ruled justifiable.
    There's a news vid in the link. +1 for the good guys.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Home Intruder Shot During 911 Call

It's a sad thing the man was killed, and was most likely only there because he was so drunk he didn't know what he was doing.
    On the other hand it's a good thing the shooter will not be charged, as he most likely didn't know the man was drunk, and in his eyes was doing nothing more than protecting his family and home.

(Washington County)

Good shoot no matter what the intruders reason for braking down the door.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by lorrel View Post
    It's a sad thing the man was killed, and was most likely only there because he was so drunk he didn't know what he was doing.
    On the other hand it's a good thing the shooter will not be charged, as he most likely didn't know the man was drunk, and in his eyes was doing nothing more than protecting his family and home.
    Would you feel bad if the person was simply insane without the alcohol? Most people don't invade homes and act violent when they are drunk. If you do, you have no business being around alcohol. I'm sure this guy was a nutcase sober as well.

(Lycoming County)

WOW, two shots! I wonder what the load was that he used?

Be safe (and use both barrels).

Scott

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by lorrel View Post
    Regardless of if the man had been drunk or if he was "only there" because he was drunk the man violently entered the home. Should the home owner have administered a field sobriety test before shooting?

While the homeowner was justified in my opinion in his actions to protect himself, I have mixed feelings about the death of the intruder. There is not much detail in the story, only that the man was extremely intoxicated ( >.32!) when he was shot. At that kind of BAC he might have thought it was his house. Just a shame when anyone has to take a life in self defense.

~ Derek
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9206&dateline=1225911  268

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    While the homeowner was justified in my opinion in his actions to protect himself, I have mixed feelings about the death of the intruder. There is not much detail in the story, only that the man was extremely intoxicated ( >.32!) when he was shot. At that kind of BAC he might have thought it was his house. Just a shame when anyone has to take a life in self defense.

~ Derek
    He was banging on the sliding glass door then picked up a chair and smashed through. I can't imagine he thought this was his home.

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    He was banging on the sliding glass door then picked up a chair and smashed through. I can't imagine he thought this was his home.
    Valid point. My reading comprehension today is a little off, it was a good Thirsty Thursday.

~ Derek
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9206&dateline=1225911  268

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by typeshluder View Post
    Would you feel bad if the person was simply insane without the alcohol? Most people don't invade homes and act violent when they are drunk. If you do, you have no business being around alcohol. I'm sure this guy was a nutcase sober as well.
    Yes. Doesn't mean I wouldn't have done it, but there's no reason to feel good about killing somebody in this situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast