Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default Everybody's Favorite Gun... the Jennings J-22

Ok after reading various reviews threads about this gun I would never go out and buy one, however before my Grandfather passed this was of 3 guns he left me (the other 2 are quite nice) and this is the only handgun he left me. So, long story short, I am trying to make use of this gun and not just throw it in a safe.
    Any suggestions to make these better guns?

Do some types of ammo run better than others? (I have herd CCI stingers and mini-mags work moderatly well)

What about a refinish? (I know its stupid but I would gladly put $50-$70 bucks into a good refinish if it could make the gun something i would enjoy)

Thanks in advance

(Chester County)

Default Re: Everybody's Favorite Gun... the Jennings J-22

as with all 22's, try all kinds of bullets. semi-auto 22's are picky and some will run crappy ammo from one manufacturer and hate match target stuff from other ones.

just buy a few boxes of 50/100 and see what it likes. Oh damn, have to go to the range an spend time shooting.

CCI and Federal make good 22lr, but try everything you can get your hands on. You might find that the cheapest boxes of bulk 22 are accurate and reliable from the gun. Never know unless you try.

As for refinishing, that's your money, heheh. I'd probably keep it in the shape my grandpa left it for me, and save my cash for something new (at least new to you.)

(Jefferson County)

Typical Hi-velocity work well in them. I'd avoid the Stingers and mini-mags to keep from battering the frame and slide. If the hi-velocity dont cycle the gun, then I'd pick the next hotter ammo.

(Lycoming County)

Just be aware, a Jennings that I had experience with would sometimes discharge when you racked the slide. Other times, while shooting it, it would turn "auto" and fire until it emptied the magazine. Fun from a novelty standpoint, but could lead to problems off the range.

Be safe (and only discharge when you intend to).

Scott
    Last edited by Swarner793; April 17th, 2009 at 04:19 PM.

(Chester County)

I got stuck with... I mean, inherited one also, and it ran flawlessly with the ammo I got with it. I just wish the hell I remembered what it was. I had about 500 rounds, and found I had to brake down the gun and clean it thoroughly after firing about 50 rounds, but after I finished that off and bought new ammo, it hasn't worked since.

I've tried CCI Stingers and mini-mags with no luck, but a couple months ago I was going through some old brass and found an empty box from some Winchester Super-X. I'm thinking maybe that was the round I was given with the gun, but I haven't bought any to try yet.

(Berks County)

i have one. i had to take it down and gently sand some of the inner parts to make it work right. has not ever jammed since. i re blued it myself also. when re done they will work good. i keep it as spare.

(Bucks County)

Junk, pot-metal guns like the Jennings are not worth ANY extra time investment. If it was left to you, fine. You have at least a chunk of metal to throw if it came down to it, and you haven't spent a dime on. If you stop there, you are ahead of the game.
    My father has great taste in rifles and shotguns and his collection shows it. However, his taste in semi-auto handguns is atrocious and I will also, undoubtedly, be passed down ones of these "weapons".

(Berks County)

If you plan on keeping it as a shooter I would do the following:

1. Replace the firing pin and firing pin spring. Keep a spare of each

2. Replace the sear, or get a spare.

3. I would just use hi temp engine paint in black and spray and bake it.

Shoot it and enjoy it, but don't count on it as a main pistol or even a back up.
    gotta love her ;)

(Berks County)

as i stated in my prev post. if u put a lil time into smoothing out feed ramp and a few other parts it will be 100% reliable, i got tired of mine jamming even though it was just a fun gun so i put some work into it which cost me no more than a few sandpapers and a can of gun blue. when i was done it worked great. has not jammed one time since . out of the box they suck but after work they perform well. but the guns too tiny i think.. i just stash it in a kitchen drawer