Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Cleaning up an old shotgun, any way to preserve the color?

I was given an old single 12 Harrington and Richardson shotgun last week, and looking it over, there is (was) a nice color case hardening on the receiver and parts. This however has a surface of rust from neglect and sitting around.

Is there any way to pull that rust off without hitting the color? I tried just some basic penetrating oil, and nothing is taking the rust off. I think this might be a candidate for a vinegar bath, followed by a baking soda rinse (I have used this to great success on steel vintage motorcycle parts).

I was told by the owner that he had bought it as a teenager (which was some time ago) and it was used even then. I hop H&R can give me an estimated date on it, but my hopes are lowish.

At any point, this thing is pretty beat up, and will probably just be a piece to clean up and hang on the mantle. Since the previous owner is basically family, it will hopefully just stay in the family for at least another generation. I love guns with history
    Last edited by Azzy; April 17th, 2009 at 02:46 PM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Cleaning up an old shotgun, any way to preserve the color?

The old H&R single shot, shotties have a bit of a cult following, especially the "Topper" models. They were very good shotguns.

As far as the rust, if it is very light surface rust, lightly cleaning with penetrating oil and 0000 steel wool may work. I would try to find a spot not exposed to try it on.

If the rust is deeper and has left pits, you may be out of luck.

I hope H&R can give me an estimated date on it, but my hopes are lowish.
    H&R may be no luck, post the model number and as much info as you can, there are several books out there with data, maybe someone here can hook you up. I know we have/had a member here who collects H&R's of all kinds and is a wealth of knowledge.

Good Luck.....post some pictures if you can.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Berks County)

The H&R guru around these here is member "32 Magnum" he know a lot of the number and prefix codes for dates of manufacture.

Drop him a PM....there is an old thread in general discussion on H&R firearms where he was answering all kinds of H&R questions for people.

Link to the H&R Thread: http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/8333-h-r-firearms.html

Lots of good info in there.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Washington County)

Thanks for that link

I just got it fully stripped, some of the scres had to sit in oil to come out easily, without marring them. Unfortunatly, the forestock is chipped, and the stock is crackign down the rear tang... I can fix that with teh brass screw method, but it will mean I need to take and re-finish the stock (most likley in tung oil... love that finish)