Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default What can be carried?

Back in the early 80s when I had a permit, I was told by the issuing deputy that the permit was a license to carry FIREARMS which meant that I could carry anything that legally owned. Shotgun, rifle, MAC-10, pistol.

Have the rules changed?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: What can be carried?

it's the same now if you are on foot.

however, you cannot have loaded long-guns in your car even with an LTCF.

NFA registered SBRs and SBSs are OK. a mac-10 would be OK as long as you legally owned it as well.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

What the heck kind of sense does that make? I can carry a loaded pistol in my car but not my Winchester Model 70 and every one knows that handguns are far more evil than rifles.

I wonder how they'd consider a short shotgun that an AOW. . . . it's not a pistol and it isn't a long gun.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWinger View Post
    What the heck kind of sense does that make? I can carry a loaded pistol in my car but not my Winchester Model 70 and every one knows that handguns are far more evil than rifles.

I wonder how they'd consider a short shotgun that an AOW. . . . it's not a pistol and it isn't a long gun.

I believe they fall into the definition of a firearm, so they could be carried under a pa ltcf.

xdthinki'veseenthisbefore45

It's because of lazy "hunters" who drive along the road, sipping beer, listening to tunes on the CD player with the heater keeping their toes nice and warm, then stopping and shooting whatever happens to be within sight of the roadway.

You can thank them for the law.

(Jefferson County)

Those short "shotguns" that qualify as a AOW are pistols, ....they are "smoothbore pistols". And under PA law it would qualify as a SBS by state definition = legal to carry.

Dont let what type of cartridge it uses fool you because a handgun with a smoothbore barrel less than 18" that shoots 38specials, 22rf's, 30-30win, etc, is a AOW just the same.

What matters to the DD, AOW, SBS, and SBR's in the NFA is the bore type and diameter, and barrel length - not what is shot down the barrel.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    It's because of lazy "hunters" who drive along the road, sipping beer, listening to tunes on the CD player with the heater keeping their toes nice and warm, then stopping and shooting whatever happens to be within sight of the roadway.

You can thank them for the law.
    There is another reason too that some politicians told me years ago..

now this is not me saying this, just what I was told (not word-for-word, been many years since it was said to me)

...that a loaded long gun, or very few of which, could not be wielded in a manner while within the vehicle to be of any use during a self defensive situation. And if you got out to use it, you just lost 99% of your lawful justification because you had a means to flee or retreat right under your ass.

And if you just kept it in your vehicle loaded and you were outside of the car to begin with, that when you went to retrieve the weapon you had your means to flee.

(Allegheny County)

Interesting argument but since the anti-gunners always want to use extreme cases to demonstrate the need for gun control let's try this.

What if the bad guys are blocking the road or your car won't start?