Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default NEW Benelli Legacy non firing issue question

Out of 4 rounds of sporting clays today (200 birds total) I brought home an entire box of 25 rounds that didn't fire.
    Last week I shot two rounds (100 birds total) and had about eight or ten rounds that didn't fire (estimate due to the fact that I didn't bring them home & count them. I was trading my non fires with another shooter who had no trouble shooting them in his O/U)
    The week prior to that I shot one round of 50 & brought home six that didn't fire.

This is a brand new Benelli Legacy, special ordered in for me so it was not a display gun or anything like that.
    I cleaned the gun last week after shooting, even though they say you don't have to very often with the Inertia Driven System. (& they seem to be right...it was really not that dirty)

Some say it's the gun malfunctioning and some say it's the ammunition.

The ammo has been from two different cases, but it has all been Remington Gun Club. The eight or ten Rios & a reloaded round given to me by other guys at the club all fired.

Those who say it's the ammo have pointed out that the primers are too flat or that they are set too deep, or that they just feel Remington ammo is crap...
    Others tell me they shoot Remington Gun Club every week without issue.

Those who say it's the gun, have said that maybe the bolt isn't closing correctly or that the firing pin isn't striking hard enough.

All agree that I should not be having a problem with a Benelli.

I'm checking to make sure the bolt is closed completely every time for the first shot, but in a two bird shoot I can't look at the bolt placement for the second shot. Sometimes it's the first shot & sometimes it's the second shot that doesn't fire.

The firing pin has enough clearance to protrude far enough to get a good hit on the primer, but the spring feels very stiff to me, and doesn't seem to be allowing the pin to protrude very far when struck.
    I'm wondering if this is my problem.

Some of the other guy's guns really put a good dent in the primers but mine doesn't seem to be hitting it very hard at all when compared to theirs.

The first thing I plan to do is try running a different brand of ammo thru before I go to Benelli. Is this the correct course of action though? If another brand of ammo works fine every time, should I settle for just switching ammo & put up with a finicky gun? I'd rather have my firing pin striking good & hard on any ammo I run thru it. Is that asking too much? If not then do you think Benelli will remedy the problem or will I need to go to a local gunsmith for a shorter or weaker spring?

Is anyone else having or has anyone else had this problem?
    Thanks for any advice out there.
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

Default Re: NEW Benelli Legacy non firing issue question

I have never tired a Benelli Legacy, but I assure you that Benelli would be willing to fix it or work with you on the issue. I suppose that it could be an ammunition problem, although from what you're saying it sounds to me like there is a good possibility that the firing pin isn't striking the primer hard enough. I don't reload shotgun shells, so I'm not familiar with their primers, but I have some ideas. I think it could be possible that the primers in the Remington ammunition are a bit harder than some of the other brands, and it could be part of the reason that they're not firing. Then again, some of the other ammunition and the reload you shot could have been remington primers as well. Either way, it sounds like the primer could be a bit hard, and since the firing pin might not be striking it hard enough; they're not firing. I personally wouldn't put up with a finicky shotgun, and would inform Benelli of it, even if you aren't going to send them the shotgun right away. I would try to run some other ammunition in it, just for giggles to see if it could in fact be the ammunition. It could be possible that there is something in the firing pin channel. If on other ammunition it appears like it's light primer strikes, or you have the same problem, I'd consider taking the bolt apart. I've taken apart friends firearms before to find pieces of metal shavings, or some other gunk in the firing pin channel that kept it from moving properly. Either way, I'm sure Benelli will make it right, and you go with your instincts. In my experience, Benelli's will shoot whatever ammo you feed them; although my experience with them is limited. Hope that helps and keep us posted.

(York County)

Default Re: NEW Benelli Legacy non firing issue question

Thanks for the input.
    I should add that I had the bolt apart when I wrote the OP. There were no shavings or debris in there that I could find.
    Without the spring installed the firing pin can protrude quite a bit so it doesn't seem to be a milling issue on the pin. With the spring installed, it takes quite a bit to get it to protrude the whole way, so I'm thinking that possibly when the hammer strikes it may not be hitting hard enough to compress the firing pin spring enough to fire each & every time.
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.