Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default I wish I was wrong but O is targeting US gunowners...count on it.

Here we go again...Blame America first
    Like everything isn't already in place to prevent Gun trafficking.....this is total BS...in Obamaspeak he'll be going after a new AWB. Bet on it.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...olence-mexico/

Obama Vows to Disarm Mexican Drug Cartels
    President Obama said that he will push the U.S. Senate to ratify an inter-American arms trafficking treaty designed to curb the flow of guns and ammunition to drug cartels and other armed groups in the hemisphere.

FOXNews.com

Thursday, April 16, 2009

(AP)

On his first trip to Mexico as president, Barack Obama pledged Thursday to help Mexican President Felipe Calderon battle the drug cartels and the drug-related violence plaguing the border region.

"We are absolutely committed to working in partnership with Mexico to make sure we are dealing with this scourge on both sides of the border," Obama said at a news conference with Calderon outlining their strategy.

"You can't fight this war with just one hand," he said. "You can't have Mexico making an effort and the United States not making an effort."

Obama said that he will push the U.S. Senate to ratify an inter-American arms trafficking treaty designed to curb the flow of guns and ammunition to drug cartels and other armed groups in the hemisphere.

Obama made the announcement after meeting Thursday afternoon with Calderon. The meeting is the centerpiece of Obama's visit to Mexico, whose government is engaged in a broad war against heavily armed drug cartels now threatening the integrity of the state.

The regional treaty, adopted by the Organization of American States, was signed by former President Bill Clinton in 1997 but never ratified by the Senate.

During his stop in Mexico City on Thursday, Obama emphasized cross-border cooperation and focused on clean energy, but the economic crisis and the bloody drug trade have set the tone.

Calderon greeted Obama to the presidential residence, Los Pinos, with an acknowledgment of the costs "to turn Mexico into a safer country." Citing a visit a half-century ago by President John F. Kennedy, Calderon called for a new era of cooperation between the neighboring countries.

"In order for Mexico to grow and prosper, Mexico needs the United States' investments, and the United States of America needs the strength of the Mexican labor force," Calderon said.

Obama echoed Caledron's call for cooperation in his brief statements and said it was more important than ever for the two countries to work together in grappling with the drug war.

"At a time when the Mexican government has so courageously taken on the drug cartels that have plagued both sides of the border, it is absolutely critical that the United States joins as a full partner in dealing with this issue," he said.

Among the other touchy points are disagreement over a lapsed U.S. assault weapons ban, a standoff over cross-border trucking, and immigration.

Obama said he preferred to focus on enforcing existing laws to keep assault weapons out of Mexico, rather than trying to renew a U.S. ban on the weapons.

The escalating drug war in Mexico is spilling into the United States, and confronting Obama with a foreign crisis much closer than North Korea or Afghanistan. Mexico is the main hub for cocaine and other drugs entering the U.S.; the United States is the primary source of guns used in Mexico's drug-related killings.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told FOX News on Thursday the meetings with Mexican officials are not about pointing fingers but solving problems.

"So on the U.S. side we want to make sure that spillover violence doesn't occur. But we also want to assist Mexico in its own efforts to make sure -- to clamp down on these cartels; to do what they can to break them up," she said. "Well, you've got to deal with several things simultaneously. One is, again, working with Mexico to increase their own law enforcement capacity. Two is, increasing our own resources at the border itself."

Calderon's aggressive stand against drug cartels has won him the aid of the United States and the prominent political backing of Obama -- never as evident as on Thursday, when he left Washington to fly to the Mexican capital and stand with Calderon on his own turf.

Obama's overnight Mexican stop came on the way to the Summit of the Americas in the two-island Caribbean nation of Trinidad and Tobago, where he hopes to set a new tone for relations with Latin America.

"We will renew and sustain a broader partnership between the United States and the hemisphere on behalf of our common prosperity and our common security," he wrote in an opinion column printed in a dozen newspapers throughout the region.

In the past, Obama said, America has been "too easily distracted by other priorities" while leaders throughout the Americas have been "mired in the old debates of the past."

More than 10,000 people have been killed in Mexico in drug-related violence since Calderon's stepped-up effort against the cartels began in 2006. The State Department says contract killings and kidnappings on U.S. soil, carried out by Mexican drug cartels, are on the rise too.

A U.S. military report just five months ago raised the specter of Mexico collapsing into a failed state with its government under siege by gangs and drug cartels. It named only one other country in such a worst-case scenario: Pakistan. The assertion incensed Mexican officials; Obama's team disavowed it.

Indeed, the Obama administration has gone the other direction, showering attention on Mexico.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said in Mexico City that the U.S. shared responsibility for the drug war. She said America's "insatiable demand" for illegal drugs fueled the trade and that the U.S. had an "inability" to stop weapons from being smuggled south.

Obama has dispatched hundreds of federal agents, along with high-tech surveillance gear and drug-sniffing dogs, to the Southwest to help Mexico fight drug cartels. He sent Congress a war-spending request that made room for $350 million for security along the U.S.-Mexico border. He added three Mexican organizations to a list of suspected international drug kingpins.

He dispatched three Cabinet secretaries to Mexico. And he just named a "border czar."

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: I wish I was wrong but O is targeting US gunowners...count on it.

So.. He's trying to get our guns.. While you bold him saying that he won't renew the AWB..

Errr. huh?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Morel42 View Post
    So.. He's trying to get our guns.. While you bold him saying that he won't renew the AWB..

Errr. huh?
    There is serious cause for concern in the proposed treaty. For example, it requires that contracting states ban

the manufacture or assembly of firearms, ammunition, explosives, and other related materials:

a. from components or parts illicitly trafficked; or

b. without a license from a competent governmental authority of the State Party where the manufacture or assembly takes place; or

c. without marking the firearms that require marking at the time of manufacturing.
    The complete thing is here.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    There is serious cause for concern in the proposed treaty. For example, it requires that contracting states ban

The complete thing is here.

Don't they already do all that?

A) from components or parts illicitly trafficked.. Check
    B) without a license from a competent governmental authority of the State Party where the manufacture or assembly takes place. All Weapon Manufactures need licenses to do so.. I would think...
    C) Without marking the firearms that require marking at the time of manufacturing. All weapons have serial numbers...

(Philadelphia County)

Don't they already do all that?

A) from components or parts illicitly trafficked.. Check
    B) without a license from a competent governmental authority of the State Party where the manufacture or assembly takes place. All Weapon Manufactures need licenses to do so.. I would think...
    C) Without marking the firearms that require marking at the time of manufacturing. All weapons have serial numbers...
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you need a license to manufacture a non-NFA weapon.

Also, it says manufacture or assembly. You definitely don't need a license to build a rifle from a kit.

(Bucks County)

Errr. huh?
    Exactly.....hmmmm how many promises has he broken in uh ... less than 90 days?? No earmarks, no lobbyists, yada yada yada. It's Obamaspeak.

(Chester County)

The reason we don't believe him is because he is lying through his teeth when he says the US is the major source of these weapons down in Mexico, we all know that the US isn't.....So when he talks off not passing an AWB again, but concentrating on existing laws instead, we have a hard time believing that.

(Bedford County)

and yet , Mexico has not considered what may be coming across it's
    own southern border and coast lines !
    Maybe they should try addressing that first before laying the blame
    on the U.S. .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"

(Lancaster County)

Why don't they just make straw buying illegal? Oh wait...

(Cumberland County)

i dont see where we have any obligation to help mexico with this problem.we have enufe problems hear that need to be dealt with be for we try and solve problems for mexico of all places.