Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Question 22 conversion for M16

I'm looking for input on the best conversion/dedicated upper system for reliable full auto 22lr on an M16. Is Ceiner the only full auto option?

Ready to buy, just looking for options. Thanks

(Berks County)

Default Re: 22 conversion for M16

It depends. First, there really is no such thing as a reliable 22 conversion. Because of the way the 22 is designed, the firearm really needs to be designed around it for the firearm to function reliably. That being said, and depending on whether you are willing to put the time in to get it working properly, the Lakeside LM7, belt-fed 22 upper is phenomenal. I have one and although it took me a little time to get it working, it is a blast. Nothing like dropping 200 rds of 22. The LM7 also had quick release barrels for ease when changing barrels. Unfortunately, because everyone expected it to be a drop-in 100% reliable upper, Lakeside has decided to stop making them for the M-16. They are working on a semi only version because it is much easier to have it function 100% on semi. Anyway, Lakeside still has a few LM7's left. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Lakeside will also warranty that they will get the LM7 working on your firearm, or at least they used to.

(Lebanon County)

For a FA use the spikes, F-cieneri he is a DICK. For semi tactical solutions and cmmg also make 22 conv. kits

(Washington County)

Cant say anything about them, having not tried it, but this is one a friend was considering getting- http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/F..._Magazine.html

(Northampton County)

I use a Spikes ST-22. At this point I am getting maybe 1 jam per 500 rounds, usually when I first start from a clean gun. I tinkered with it quite a bit, but it turns out all my problems were likely ammo related to begin with. That and the fact that the charging handle feels like it's running through a box of gravel, so I had to use a recoil spring that was too strong to get it to charge reliably. If I had to do it over, I'd go with a conversion kit.

Good luck finding .22 ammo. Everybody is sold out. The ST-22 is picky on ammo for some people, myself included.

Don't expect to save too much $. I have the Bazooka Brothers AM180 mag adapter and I have gone through 2000 rounds in about 3 weeks. 255 rounds in 13 seconds is more expensive than .223.