Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Rep. Metcalf.

(Allegheny County)

Default Rep. Metcalf.

If you get the chance visit Representative Metcalfe's website. He has two items he is asking people to sign. One is in defense of the second ammendment and Pennsylvania gun ownership and the other is concerning illegal immigration.
    WWW.repmetcalfe.com

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Rep. Metcalf.

Done. Thanks for posting this.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by jwg View Post
    If you get the chance visit Representative Metcalfe's website. He has two items he is asking people to sign. One is in defense of the second ammendment and Pennsylvania gun ownership and the other is concerning illegal immigration.
    WWW.repmetcalfe.com
    I went in this morning and I only see the item on illegal immigration. Am I'm missing something?

(Perry County)

Scroll down the homepage to the item "Standing Up to Gun Control".
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Allegheny County)

Metcalf memo you ALL should subscribe

Real Reform Begins and Ends
    with the Constitution

In one word, the theme of the 2007-08 legislative session has been "Reform." The reform we need is for our government to realize that they are not our master, that they are not our partner, but that they are our servant.

Our government was constitutionally designed to ensure justice in our society by protecting the rights of the individual citizen. Many of our rights are declared in the Bill of Rights, but the Ninth Amendment covers those that were not specifically declared. The Ninth Amendment reads, "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

On April 24, I held the second annual Second Amendment press conference and rally at our state capitol. I was joined by dozens of my colleagues, leaders of many Second Amendment groups and hundreds of citizens. The press conference was held to introduce legislation aimed at protecting the rights of law abiding citizens.

After the press conference/rally was concluded, a couple of people infiltrated the crowd who were not part of any of the groups sponsoring the event. They held up a banner which had a vicious, hateful message.

Just as one would expect, the majority of the press reporting on the Second Amendment rally focused on the vicious act that occurred after the rally by two people who were not even part of the groups participating in the rally. Rather than reporting on the legislation being introduced and supported by dozens of legislators, or reporting on the hundreds of citizens who traveled from across the state to visit the capitol on April 24 to be actively involved in their government, the majority of the press covered two individuals who came to make trouble.

Since the press conference last week, I have communicated with more than one person who was misled by reports on the incident that occurred after our press conference/rally. The majority of citizens who own firearms understand that they must be responsible as they exercise their right to bear arms. It is time for the majority of the press to realize that they too have an obligation to report in a truthful, fair and balanced manner while they exercise their right to the freedom of the press.

If you would like to sign an online petition supporting the Second Amendment, please visit my web site at RepMetcalfe.com.

The Second Amendment is clearly declared in the Bill of Rights. Another right which is not declared specifically, but is covered by the Ninth Amendment and which is constantly under attack by forces with in our government, is our individual economic liberty.

In this year's budget process, the governor has launched a frontal assault on your economic liberty, through his proposals to increase the tax burden by 2.4 billion dollars in new taxes and fees. The governor is proposing a 6.17% tax on annual profits for oil companies, which of course will be paid for by you and me at the gas pumps.

He is proposing to increase the sales tax from 6% to 7%, claiming it is a property tax relief effort, when he plans on using less than a third of the generated revenue for reducing property taxes. He is proposing a new tax on businesses that do not offer health insurance benefits to every single employee, with no guarantee that the employees will receive health insurance after their employer pays the tax, but with a definite increase in taxes on business which will cause higher costs to consumers and fewer jobs.

The governor is proposing to increase the tax on our garbage and the electricity we use. The governor also plans on creating two new taxes on tobacco products. He believes people will fall for the old saying of "don't tax you, don't tax me, tax that man behind the tree." I believe the majority of people intuitively understand that excessive government spending and the excessive taxation that is a direct result hurts our economy and the economic liberty of every citizen.

On April 17, tax filing day, I joined with several of my colleagues to introduce our Taxpayer Protection package. This proposed legislation will:

- Constitutionally limit state spending.

- Give voters a real voter referendum so that they will be able to say "no" when their school districts or local governments are proposing tax increases.

- Reduce the personal income tax back to the 2.8% from the 3.07% that Rendell raised it to during his first term.

It is time for real reform of our government; it is time for our government to protect all of our rights, including our right to keep more of what we earn.

If you enjoyed this Metcalfe Memo, please feel free to forward it to your friends and family. If you received this Metcalfe Memo from a friend or family member, and you would like to be added to the distribution list, please send an e-mail to adohner@pahousegop.com. If you do not want to receive future editions of the Metcalfe Memo, type "unsubscribe" in the subject line and reply to this email.