Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Mag pouch or other?

So Im looking at getting a magazine pouch but i carry some much crap as it is i was thinking of something else. What do you guys/girls think about one of these?

http://www.lapolicegear.com/mabacoutpo.html

Does it scream " Tacticool " or " mall ninja " ?

I figure i carry a PDA/cell phone , knife , wallet , 2 sets of keys and various other junk , now im adding a extra mag. I never bothered with a extra mag , but now i want to start carrying one.

Any opinions??
    No longer posting

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Mag pouch or other?

Quote Originally Posted by riverpirate View Post
    Any opinions??
    i've always got an opinion (or two).

so...

1. i think you want your extra mag to be more readily accessible. you'll very likely never need it, but, if you ever do, you may well need to get it into your gun *right now*. so, an open topped mag pouch is, imho, the way to go for carrying a spare mag.

2. consider cargo pants/shorts as an alternative. i actually carry way more stuff than you listed every day. other than my pistol and an extra mag, it all goes in pockets. fortunately, i have a job where i can wear whatever i want...and generally don't care about being fashionable or whatever, so i wear cargo pants/shorts about all the time. you actually can get an amazing amount of stuff comfortably in cargo pockets. then you do not have to carry a bag/pack around with you. just another option to consider. in any case, though, i would definitely carry the spare mag in a pouch on my belt...but, just my humble opinion.
    F*S=k

(Lancaster County)

well i figure i have 14 rounds to fire before i ever have to reload. it would be more of a "in case". i hate having stuff spread all out through my clothes , lol. I do wear cargo pants everyday , but again its the whole multiple things in multiple pockets.
    Another thing is i carry two different guys off and on. A Sigma 40 or a Keltec p3at. Magazine are way different sizes and id have to go with two different pouches.
    No longer posting

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by riverpirate View Post
    well i figure i have 14 rounds to fire before i ever have to reload.
    my philosophy is that the extra mag is there more in case of mag failure (the most common cause of stoppages in semi-auto handguns) rather than in case i run through an entire mag.

its the whole multiple things in multiple pockets.
    i hear ya. i have actually gotten around that...and waterproofed my stuff...by organizing it all in two waterproof "stuff sack" sorta thingies. i just slip one into each cargo pocket. (er, well, except keys, wallet, knife, flashlight, and multitool just because i used those so often i actually want them to be separate).

at any rate, not trying to be argumentative...just throwing out ideas. different strokes for different folks...

maxpedition seems to have a good reputation, so i bet you would not go wrong with that approach either.
    F*S=k

(Lancaster County)

oh i totaly understand where your comming from. just to much crap to carry on my part , lol
    No longer posting

(Cambria County)

Cargo Pants. The well prepared persons dream come true.

I carry an extra mag in my left thigh pocket. I have stuff in every pocket. I just make sure that the same thing goes in the same pocket every time I load up. Flashlight, Magazine, Multi-Tool, Wallet, Lighter. One in each of the pockets. The weight is distributed evenly and carries well.

I have considered getting a extra concealable mag pouch to go with my holster. I would carry it on my belt opposite my holster. I would get a tuckable one just like my holster. But the pockets on my Cargo Pants are working out just fine for now.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Erie County)

Try to think of what the situation might be like if you needed to reload. You'd need it right now. When I order a holster from a maker, I order a matching mag pouch to go with it. Most kydex holster makers offer reasonably priced mag pouches that work great.
    If your looking for a great deal, go to the GlockTalk forum and do a search for forum member Tactical Kydex. There is a perpetual post about his products on the holster classifieds. Last time I looked he was selling a pair for $16 shipped. The pair could be made for different guns, too. He's sold a ton of them on that forum and they get great reviews.

(Adams County)

When I want to covertly carry a spare mag on my belt, I use a nylon case that used to hold a multitool. It has a velcro flap and looks like just a knife or tool pouch on my belt. It may look a bit "redneck" but it works to hide my spare mag. I actually wear it horizontal on my belt.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

I wear a revolver but I always carry two speed strips on belt in a pager case. It doesn't scream "gun" but it is sturdy and looks appropriate. I need pockets for keys and ID case with DL and HCP.