Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Rude Guy at Targetmaster

I just got off the phone with Targetmaster. What a rude SOB who answered the phone. I am looking for a backup pistol for ankle carry. The only gun I've ever owned is my Glock 23, way too big for ankle carry.

The guy answers the phone and I explain I want to get a second gun for ankle carry and an ankle holster. Additionally I am considering a laser sight for my Glock. I ask if they will let me shoot a few of their rental guns, 5-10 rounds thru 3 or 4 different ones before settling on which model to buy. I have only shot 2 handguns in my life. I told him I would probably buy a new one unless he had a used one in excellent condition.

The clerk firmly states it is $10 to rent a gun and I have to buy a box of 50 bullets from them to shoot with their rentals. His attitude and tone of voice was rude, and that's putting it mildly.

After not being sure what I just heard this guy say, and how he said it, I then stated;

"So what you're telling me is, I'm coming in to purchase a pistol (probably new), an ankle holster, and probably a laser sight, and I sense you're more concerned with getting your $10 for rental use and ammo $?"

His reply was, "rental gun use is $10 and you have to purchase the ammo from us."

I have no problem paying for ammo I use while sampling a handgun, but forcing someone to buy a box of 50 seems unreasonable.

Targetmaster and French Creek Outfitters are equidistant from my house. I have been shooting at Targetmaster for 5 years, and recently purchased a gun safe and two Blackhawk Serpas from them. Suffice to say, I won't be going in their store anymore. I called French Creek after I ended my call with Targetmaster and explained my situation to the clerk, Al.

His response was, "come on in, we will let you crank off some rounds from whatever we have here so you can comfortably choose your gun, and we're not going to charge you a rental fee." It was very refreshing to hear.

Bottom line, Targetmaster is more interested in making $75-$100 off me before making a sale and are less concerned with maintaining a loyal customer. Penny smart and dollar stupid is what it's called in my neck of the woods.

Anyone have similar experiences with attitudes at Targetmaster?

Default Re: Rude Guy at Targetmaster

Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GL23 View Post

Targetmaster and French Creek Outfitters are equidistant from my house. I have been shooting at Targetmaster for 5 years, and recently purchased a gun safe and two Blackhawk Serpas from them. Suffice to say, I won't be going in their store anymore. I called French Creek after I ended my call with Targetmaster and explained my situation to the clerk, Al.

His response was, "come on in, we will let you crank off some rounds from whatever we have here so you can comfortably choose your gun, and we're not going to charge you a rental fee." It was very refreshing to hear.

Bottom line, Targetmaster is more interested in making $75-$100 off me before making a sale and are less concerned with maintaining a loyal customer. Penny smart and dollar stupid is what it's called in my neck of the woods.

Anyone have similar experiences with attitudes at Targetmaster?

I believe there is another thread on here from an employee at TM that indicated something like "We act like we do and still get business so why change" so I am glad to see you took your money elsewhere. I don't care the selection, the range, the prices, with people as bad as alot of folks post about there, I would never go there.

(Mifflin County)

A rude guy at Targetmaster? I just can't believe that, they have such a good reputation here..................

I've never been to Targetmaster but I can understand the ammo thing. After all they wouldn't want someone trying out their own homebrewed 2000 fps 9mm load in my rental guns. On the other hand, I probably would have said you get your $10 back for the gun rental if you buy a gun.

(Berks County)

Makes dollars, not cents

(Franklin County)

I'll start off by stating that the posts by others and the reply by the employee of this range has totally turned me off to the possibility of ever shooting, renting, or purchasing anything from them. That said...

Quote Originally Posted by GL23 View Post
    I have no problem paying for ammo I use while sampling a handgun, but forcing someone to buy a box of 50 seems unreasonable.
    I don't see what the option is? Most ammunition comes in boxes of 20 or 50, they don't want to break that apart anymore than Wal-Mart would want to sell you five potato chips so you could sample them. Sure, you might buy them, but you might not, and then they've got a bag that they can't do anything with.

I also don't feel, and this is my personal opinion and it's worth just what you paid for it, that shooting 50 rounds through a pistol before you buy it is, necessarily, a bad thing. If I were dead-set on trying a pistol before I bought it and if the only place around that I could do it was at this range and if I couldn't find someone else who might let me borrow theirs, I'd just accept it and be glad that I was getting the opportunity to fire a few mags, load a few mags, change some mags and really get a nice feel for the gun. Fifty rounds goes quick. Of course, I realize that you aren't upset about the process, rather, the mandatory cost.

It sounds like you've found a fantastic place to purchase firearms. If I get ONE bad experience at a gun store or range and the manager isn't responding how I want, I'm done with them forever. I hope that the free market works out and that Target Master reaps what they sow.

Also, please let us know which sidearms you test out and which one you choose, and why. Maybe someone can forward this thread, and the other thread complaining about the same issue ad nauseum, to someone at Target Master and perhaps that'll change their mind on how they treat the people that pay their bills.

Regards,

Jeff

You have stirred the hornet's nest; I'll be standing by with the Raid....
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Philadelphia County)

i just bought a gsg-5 from them, i went in knowing its not the greatest service and i should have known better, i just spent almost 600$ on a .22 and they made me wait-after all the paper work was done-just to pay for it 20 minutes.......it takes 3 minutes to pay. he had to get people on the range! 20 minutes!!!

(Philadelphia County)

It's not uncommon or unreasonable for ranges to require that you buy ammo from them. $10 to rent a gun is reasonable and for all they know, you may only be saying that you may be buying, just like many others who have told them the same thing. Gun shops are usually pretty cold, especially in the Philly area and especially on the phone.

That said, TM has some really bad reports so I guess you just add to their dispopularity

What gun are you looking to buy for ankle carry? Don't say a G27, because it's not the exactly a lightweight pistol after a few hours.

Al

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast